SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am connecting in internet through my IPhone 6, using WiFi. Any time I start the car I need to manually restore communication, going through setting menu. Is this normal?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yupp, It is how Apple have implemented it in the iOS. Have been playing around with it a bit when sharing a wifi hotspot to my computer. The wifi network on the iPhone will not activate unless you are in the Personal Hotspot menu. After that you can do what you want with the phone. However I think if the connection is idle for a couple of minutes (my guess about 5) then it will shut it down as well. I assume this is to save battery on the phone. I tried having the iPhone connected to a power outlet and starting the wifi but it behaves the same. I would guess the Volvo is seen by the iPhone as any other computer with regards to this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have activated Iphone wifi network from the personal hotspot menu, now, while I am writing, I can see the Iphone network active on my Mac, but when I go to the car to activate I need to go to config menu and select, manually, the Iphone WiFi net.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
It's a feature of iOS 8 called Instant Hotspot that makes other Apple devices see your iPhone's hotspot - doesn't work with other devices, you have to manually connect
For those with phones running iOS 9 and also having CarPlay (iOS 9) installed in the XC90 this ~ November, would you expect the current behavior to have changed? In other words, with CarPlay installed, would iOS 9 now recognize the XC90 as an Apple device?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think the question is will it make a difference, will it ever be worthwhile to get the car on wifi. Once CarPlay is added, it is even less necessary. I had mine connected and it was working well, but to save my phones battery I disconnected it and haven't had the car online in a month. With CarPlay everything is powered from the phone, only the phones connection matters. And if you're using the phone as a mobile hotspot, may as well connect other devices straight to the phone.

The only scenario I can imagine needing the car online is if Volvo somehow released an app that was useful, and not available on CarPlay.

Side note gripe, I knew CarPlay wasn't going to be available until November when I bought the car but it's a little annoying watching this car go from 'one of the first with CarPlay' to being one of the last to actually have it onboard. The xc90 is really just one of the first cars to plan to have CarPlay at some point...

If the implementation of CarPlay in the Volvo is really good, maybe it's worth the wait but from everything I've heard it's basically going to be the same as other makers, with some severe limitations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.