SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have anyone here been able to get a replacement under warranty for the small waterproof key/fob (not the large one with actual buttons on it)?
I have a MY16 T8, bought April 2016, less than 30k miles.

Cheers,

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have seen others indicate they have previously. I tried for my 2016 T6 while under warranty and the dealer wouldn't. Although I didn't push too hard.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, it should be replaced under warranty . . because the battery in them is meant to last for 7 years. I've had mine replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yes, it should be replaced under warranty . . because the battery in them is meant to last for 7 years. I've had mine replaced under warranty.
Is there actual verbage for this? so far no one has gotten it for free?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My sports key died after 18 months. Dealer would not replace it. I asked, they said no. I didn't push.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is there actual verbage for this? so far no one has gotten it for free?
So nobody but me has had their sports key replaced for free?? Doubtful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just replaced mine yesterday, under warrantee. Can confirm Volvo wants the low battery key back. 2017 XC90 T6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got mine replaced under warranty a month ago, it was maybe 14 months old... very disappointing, good it died at home, not away.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I got mine replaced under warranty a month ago, it was maybe 14 months old... very disappointing, good it died at home, not away.
Just as an FYI, when traveling I now know not to rely on the Tag key. There are some issues that can come up with the car where you need the actual remote, for example if the fuel filler door wont open. You need to actually lock and then reopen the doors with the buttons on the remote to free up the fuel filler door. If my wife did not have her key with her I would have not had enough gas to get home.......

If you only have the tag and it dies to the point that you can’t open the doors I wonder if you can open the doors with the iPhone app and then place the “apparently dead” key in the center console in front of the cup holder and get the car started that way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
It does not make sense to also travel with normal FOB (well, until the waterproof breaks, obviously). I use the waterproof 99% of time and there were no situation I needed the normal key so the above info is incorrect. I can open fuel filler door from the inside.
I use the waterproof when I'm on the water so I need to lock my car and take a FOB that is waterproof. No point in that waterproof FOB if I also had to take normal one...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It does not make sense to also travel with normal FOB (well, until the waterproof breaks, obviously). I use the waterproof 99% of time and there were no situation I needed the normal key so the above info is incorrect. I can open fuel filler door from the inside.
I use the waterproof when I'm on the water so I need to lock my car and take a FOB that is waterproof. No point in that waterproof FOB if I also had to take normal one...
Feel free to do whatever you want but Im telling you that my fuel filler door wouldn’t open for no apparent reason at all. The inside button wouldn’t work, VOC couldn’t open it and their only solution, which did work, was for me to use my wife’s full remote, lock the doors and then open them with the button on the remote. Locking the doors and then opening with the tag key didn’t solve the problem......but don’t blame me if you get stuck somewhere because you didn’t heed my advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sure you're aware that the fuel button has to be pressed for ca. 2 seconds.

Yeah, after the tag broke I'm worried I'll get stuck; I'm sure I won't use it again if it breaks for the 2nd time. But I have hope it won't happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I got stuck with a dead starter battery at the Chicago airport. When the tow truck showed up, I could not open the car because I didn't have the actual key (located inside the FOB) as I was travelling just with the sports key. Huge pain in the backside. It's a mistake you only make once.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the T8 engine and to remove the battery charger you need to unlock the car or press the unlock button from the driver's side door. I assume it's the same thing with the fuel filler door if it won't open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just called the dealership. My warranty ran out 3,000 miles ago at 50K miles so, no free replacement. Replacement FOBs cost $192 + programming which is another $150 for a total drive-out of around $350. You order the FOB from the parts department and then the programming from the service department. I think I'll stop by the cell phone repair shop to see if they can fix it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts