SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 2017 XC90 Momentum T6. I was up to today untying a kayak I had strapped down up top and I noticed some dents underneath the roof rails. I have never seen them before and would think I would have. The really weird part is they are on both sides and perfectly evenly spaced. I have tried to think of anything I have ever tried to the rails or crossbars that would have contacted these spots and I can think of nothing. BTW - The crossbars are Volvo OEM Thule aeros (i.e. the regular ones). See attached photos. Any ideas???

·
Registered
653 Posts
So I have a 2017 XC90 Momentum T6. I was up to today untying a kayak I had strapped down up top and I noticed some dents underneath the roof rails. I have never seen them before and would think I would have. The really weird part is they are on both sides and perfectly evenly spaced. I have tried to think of anything I have ever tried to the rails or crossbars that would have contacted these spots and I can think of nothing. BTW - The crossbars are Volvo OEM Thule aeros (i.e. the regular ones). See attached photos. Any ideas???
No photos are attached.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a little trouble with the imgur link, but I think it's fixed up now. Let me know if you can see the image now...

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have them too - 5 on each side in the same location. They were made at the factory - possibly where the roof panel was spot welded.

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If they are directly under the momentum rails, it's likely the mount points for the R-Design/Inscription rails or other manufacture points that are typically covered by the R-Design/Inscription rails.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Our Momentum has the dimples, but they are very small and almost invisible. I had to really look to find them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our Momentum has them. Easy to see; I was surprised when I first saw them. To me they appear to be spot welds.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Our Momentum has them. Easy to see; I was surprised when I first saw them. To me they appear to be spot welds.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, I have a 2019 M loaner and it also has them. They're pairs and run the length of the gutter and are only visible with M rails as they are exposed. Definitely standard build that wouldn't be seen on upgraded trim levels, just not "finished" or covered up on M (lower trim). Not dents, more dimples - likely alignment markers, like you'd see in the B pillar or other key points throughout any car. The R-Design and Inscription flush rails cover them so you'd never see them on those trim.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I tried to find them once more, also used a torch so I could choose the angle incidence of the light.
Couldn't find them, I couldn't see or feel anything. Can you feel these dimples?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I checked, and if I felt "blind" I couldn't really feel them, but if I peeked and saw them, then I could feel them. Like I said, they are small (the OP's picture makes them look much bigger and deeper than they actually are-- at least the ones on my car).

Not having them means something, I think-- don't know whether it is a model year change or change of mfg location. All 2017's, btw, were built in Sweden. Don't know about 2018.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
According to Wikipedia, the plant in Malaysia only serves Thailand, Malaysia and Taiwan markets.
If that is correct, then the XC90 in the US and the EU are all assembled in Torslanda, Sweden.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts