SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone dealt with repairs on the lower part of the front bumper before? I'm talking the very bottom edge...the lip that extends outwards below the front grille.

I got a small crack in mine of the weekend - I think from a rock on the roadway. Took it to a local collision center and they're saying that the bottom lip cannot be replaced separately, and that the entire bumper cover needs to be replaced for about $1500.

I just want a gut check from someone else if this situation is as sickening as it sounds. What's more frustrating is that I can see plastic tabs on the back edge of this bottom lip, where it inserts into the grill piece above it, so it seems like this was designed to be removable. But apparently Volvo doesn't actually sell the piece separately.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
486 Posts
Suggest checking with a few body shops. Perhaps one may be able to repair, as opposed to replace the whole assembly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Find a better shop that knows how to do plastic welding. Can be fixed no problem
Are you stating this based on firsthand knowledge? I wasn't aware that plastic welding could be done on most automotive parts...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Are you stating this based on firsthand knowledge? I wasn't aware that plastic welding could be done on most automotive parts...
plastic welding has been used by autobody shops for years now to fix cracked bumpers/panels. Here is an example of the process they would use to fix your bumper. I've cracked and repaired mine a few times now bouncing it off rocks. You could do it yourself if you were feeling handy, Just need a plastic welder and some polypropylene or polycarbonate melt sticks depending on what parts are cracked. Then you can take it to a shop to have painted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts