SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago, my 2000R w/123k wouldn't start in the morning. It started after being jumped, but wouldn't start after sitting again for a day. I had my old unmarked battery tested, tested bad, so I purchased a new battery. The car has been starting since BUT: from a cold start the key must be held down (this morning for a good 5 seconds, it was 20 degrees out) before the engine even turns over. So, moral of the story is it starts, but takes way longer to start turning over than it should. Sooooooo am I looking at a new starter because of worn brushes? Starter relay? loose ground? slow drain? Ideas? Suggestions on what to check/how to check it?

Thanks in advance! Y'all have helped me much before!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Sounds like you into the first part of the cold season. Are you on the same tank of gas? Could have an accumulation of H2O if you don't drive much. How many cranking amps on the battery you purchased? Cheap battery with low cranking amps could also be a contributer in real cold weather.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
A car needs 3 basic things to start, Air, Fuel, Spark.

Doesn't seem like you have a problem with air.

Fuel or spark on the other hand...both are possible. Start with the basics and work your way out.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It sounds like from the original post, that the car is not even cranking until several seconds after turning the key. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like from the original post, that the car is not even cranking until several seconds after turning the key. Unless I'm reading this wrong.
That is correct!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Time to check the starter AT the starter.
Give me a call and I'll walk you through it.
Also curious...How old is that ignition switch?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just drop the $20 and replace the starter relay to start with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Was reading your thread and I would appreciate your insights on a similar issue I've been having.
My 99R is cranking just fine but it doesn't turn over right away, it can take up to 10 seconds of cranking. It's always gets going eventually, but whats weird is that it's takes far longer after driving, stopping then restarting then it does when it's been sitting over night. It drives perfectly fine otherwise.
My dads a volvo mechanic (though not especially knowledgeable on Rs) and he says he's run through all the typical reasons that could cause this in a V70 and has found nothing. I feel like its fuel pump related, he's ruled that out and is thinking its related to the chipped key sensor. Any additional ideas on what it could be or how to figure it out. Thanks volvo enthusiasts.

Old Jordan

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
How is that similar?
A failure of the starter to crank at all
and your issue are entirely different.

Any codes?

You would get probably better replies starting your own thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts