SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I have a slow leak in one of my tires- leaks around 1 lb per day. Question- Have any of you tried that Fix a Flat stuff in the can? I wouldn't normally ask but I stopped at a tire store- they were closed but the man running the used car lot in front said he uses the stuff all the time and that it works pretty well. He cautioned to make sure I drive the car after putting the stuff in so it doesn't settle in one spot. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Slow Tire Leak (Wayne T5)

Just understand that it makes one heck of a mess inside your tire. Whoever changes your tire next will not be happy with you. Just do what Tom mentioned, and get it done right. It'll be easier in the long run.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: Slow Tire Leak (DocG)

Before you do anything, first try to tighten the valve stem. This is a 2-second job if you have the right tool...

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
my $.02 don't use fix-a-flat. that stuff is only meant for emergency situations and not to be driven on more then 50 miles.

coat the tire in soapy water and look for bubbles. maybe try to plug it. I have done this in the past with success.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
my $.02 don't use fix-a-flat. that stuff is only meant for emergency situations and not to be driven on more then 50 miles.

coat the tire in soapy water and look for bubbles. maybe try to plug it. I have done this in the past with success.

I have used fix-a-flat on 3 tires on the same truck and drove it for an entire summer. Of course, this was on a POS Ford F150 job truck, and it DOES make a mess. But it works.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Slow Tire Leak (TomW)

Quote, originally posted by TomW »
I'd pop the tire off, clean the bead and rim, replace the valve stem and remount first, to see if that fixes it.
If you can't find a nail, the above is the first thing to do.
For some reason I have 3 of these on 3 different Volvos that I put tires on.
One was a bad valve stem, (my own 850R) one was an improperly seated tire and the 3rd is a mystery and still not fixed yet as of today
Oh, and last year I actually had a needle seat in the valve stem about a 1/2 turn too loose
THAT one was a complete mystery and was found totally by accident

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Slow Tire Leak (TomW)

Thanks for the reality check guys. I'll take it to a shop and have it done the right way. Just can't find anyplace open on the weekends- will have to take it in first thing and go in late tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: Slow Tire Leak (Wayne T5)

I had a slow leak on my T5 tires. Replaced the stem valves and that fixed the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts