SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, this may help someone. For about 2 months our 2000 S70 GLT SE had a slow coolant leak. After looking all over the engine I never found a clue as to were it was coming from so I ran over to my local Pep Boys and asked them to do a cooling system pressure test. As a part of the Pep Boys SOP, the Tech did a visual inspection prior to the pressure test. Two minutes into the inspection the Tech located the leak. No actual leak was discovered. Turns out the coolant sensor was not pushed all the way into the coolant reservoir. <p>If case you are interested the inspection cost $30 USD and if needed, a new reservoir from Volvo would have cost $58 USD.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Slow Coolant Leak Cause Found (Calvert)

Interesting...mine's been dripping coolant from the passenger foglight...weird. I tracked it down to the expansion tank. Didn't think to see if the level sensor was seated, and I *just* ordered a new tank ($36 from FCP Groton). The existing one is heat crazed anyway, so it's not a waste. <p>Coolant ran from the tank, then forward along the boxed section of the 'frame' rail, then down the front end and onto the rear of the foglight before forming a small puddle on the ground.<p>Glad my wife didn't go to the dealer asking for the foglight coolant to be changed.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Slow Coolant Leak Cause Found (Here's Johnny!)

Common for these to be cracked and form small leaks

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

Sometimes, small cracks or pinholes in the recovery tank release such a fine mist of coolant it can't actually be seen. Look for mysteriously damp components around the pressurized tank.<br>

·
Registered
94 Posts

Just to clarify after replacing my reservoir - the sensor fits into a hole in the bottom of the tank, but it's a blind hole, meaning that the sensor never actually touches the coolant (the float inside the tank sends the level signal through the plastic to the pickup). The sensor cannot cause a leak, but if it's not pressed all the way in, it can cause a false low reading.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: Slow Coolant Leak Cause Found (Here's Johnny!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Here’s Johnny!</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The sensor cannot cause a leak, but if it's not pressed all the way in, it can cause a false low reading.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Incorrect. It will be false <B>high</B> reading, i.e. low level will not be detected<br>EDIT:<br>I stand corrected, after looking on '99 and '98 I recall that they have different reservoirs, my comment is valid for 99, not sure how the 98 has it's sensor placed.<br>Apologies<p><br><i>Modified by d_man at 1:29 PM 7-10-2006</i><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by d_man at 3:31 PM 7-10-2006</i>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts