SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject should explain it basically, but I've noticed a "tug" feeling when accelerating just after going over a speed bump around 15-20MPH, or whenever the RPMs are increasing a little above normal. Trying to narrow this down. I'm wondering if my engine mount is going bad, which wouldn't be surprising, but also could it be the engine torque mount as well? I haven't taken a look under the hood just yet and will this weekend to take a closer look at the engine mount to see what it looks like.

Any initial thoughts? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
20 mph over a speed bump?!? No wonder why you are feeling a tug lol- I feel that tug all the time but I narrowed my issue down to the cv joint/ half axel. I had my mounts replaces so I ruled those out. Do you feel it just on one side or both?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20 mph over a speed bump?!? No wonder why you are feeling a tug lol- I feel that tug all the time but I narrowed my issue down to the cv joint/ half axel. I had my mounts replaces so I ruled those out. Do you feel it just on one side or both?
Hard to say, which is kinda irritating. Gonna check on the passenger-side engine mount to rule that out, though.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Try checking the alignment.... I had issues with it since I bought the car and found that it was toe-d out 0.2* on each side... so every time I punched it it would try to pull one way or the other back and forth. Kind of terrifying.

Worth a look though, cheaper than the other options and some places will not charge you if it doesn't actually need to be aligned after they check it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Got that jolt eliminated by replacing the lower torque mount for the new style mount, fitted a powerflex inlay aswell. Ohhh almost forgot, have the upper left tranny mount replaced for the newer style hydraulic.
These mods made for a helluva change.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Any updates? Figure it out yet? I am having this issue still, but mostly while decelerating
My issue was pretty much eliminated with the ELEVATE Torque Mount AND replacing the passenger motor mount. The motor mount replacement makes the engine feel much more tight than what it was before--and probably will solve (or certainly narrow down) any front suspension troubleshooting.

I think I lost around 35% of the original height of the factory motor mount, which was not good, as a bolt that was right above the motor mount was touching it. After installing the new mount...the bolt was about a half inch above it. Definitely should be something everyone should check. Spent a lot of time adjusting for the new motor mount install, so this can be a somewhat timely replacement, and not just something that would take 30mins.

I also used a 2x6 instead of a 2x4. 2x4 is not recommended at all, because the engine will move around quite a bit when you're trying to get the original mount out...and new one in.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ok so it sounds like engine mounts are definitely the next area to investigate. What mounts did you go with?

Anyone else have any experience with certain engine mounts?

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
I would consider looking at the lower control arms. If they are bad you could be experiencing what I would call torque steer. If a bushing is bad, under acceleration the control arm can flex forward and cause that tire to steer inward and may cause the car do dart. Also, under compression it can cause the same issue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would consider looking at the lower control arms. If they are bad you could be experiencing what I would call torque steer. If a bushing is bad, under acceleration the control arm can flex forward and cause that tire to steer inward and may cause the car do dart. Also, under compression it can cause the same issue.
I have no torque steer at the moment, strait and true

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
Not so much torque steer in the literal sense. If a control arm busing is bad and allows too much flex, that wheel will torque forward a few degrees and may cause this sensation you have. And, the fact that the control arms compress in an arc can cause the same thing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not so much torque steer in the literal sense. If a control arm busing is bad and allows too much flex, that wheel will torque forward a few degrees and may cause this sensation you have. And, the fact that the control arms compress in an arc can cause the same thing.
I see, thanks for the insight!! Whats the easiest way to test to see if these bushings are bad?

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
The best way will be to check for excessive wear or if they are cracked or any rubber missing from the bushing. It's going to be difficult to explain "excessive" wear because if you are familiar with what they are like new it's hard to compare. Of course, unless it has failed completely and that will be relatively obvious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts