SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got the car, the plastics surrounding the waterfall area and the stereo/AC controls seem to creak and click when I make turns, accelerate/deccelerate, and so on. Is this just normal on the car that is subjected to temperature changes causing the plastic to expand and contract? Anything I can do about this? I may bring it up when I take the car in for the first oil change.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My XC60 (at 4750 miles) is silent, we share the same interior components and design.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Paging Starbuck2020 ;-)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Paging Starbuck2020 ;-)
What he means is check out this thread starting Starbuck2020's post on page 9.
A lot of discussion about squeaks and creaks.
In summary: A lot of the S/V 60s have them to one extent or another. Some think it is a legitimate complaint others see it as whining.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have read that thread in the past. I can relate to some of what he is experiencing. I guess I will bring it up to the dealer on my next visit and see if they can possibly put felt tape or something to make the console more solid.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I'd recommend not checking out that thread, but that is a common complaint.

If you are still under the 12,000 mile adjustment period warranty they should try to fix it for you.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Ever since I got the car, the plastics surrounding the waterfall area and the stereo/AC controls seem to creak and click when I make turns, accelerate/deccelerate, and so on. Is this just normal on the car that is subjected to temperature changes causing the plastic to expand and contract? Anything I can do about this? I may bring it up when I take the car in for the first oil change.
What year is your S60/V60? There is a Tech Journal out there for a fix that involves felt tape on the back side of the waterfall. I was lucky in all my P3 chassis Volvo's that there hasn't been a peep out of the doors, center console and waterfall area; I did have a creak in the window door trim on my 2012 but the dealer said the door trim needed to be adjusted and it went away. I remember my 2010 Mazda 3 the plastics around the dash would creak with the temperature changes in the first couple of thousand miles, but some how corrected itself over time, haha!

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 2012 S80 has creaks from the waterfall, front doors, as well as somewhere on the dash I cant pinpoint. Makes an otherwise nice car seem cheap. Still like the car, but annoying.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Is there a time limit on this?
Mine is a 2012 with about 46K miles on it, would they still do it for free?
Since I can't see the TJ I don't know how far it goes back in terms of years or VIN#, but here are a few that fall within MY2012 dealing with creaking noises:

Creaking Noise from Driver Side Striker Area: TJ-26867-2012-11-20
Airbag/Steering wheel Creaking:
TJ-27799-2014-10-10
Center Console Creaking: TJ-29264-2015-01-12

·
Registered
191 Posts
Paging Starbuck2020 ;-)
My Volvo Creaking senses are tingling.... :p

My dealer did the foam/felt fix behind the waterfall panel. It did help but not all that much. I still get snaps when I accelerate fast, brake, turn, or touch it with my knee. One of the problems is that its not just the area behind the flat trim, but the silver plastic around the entire waterfall. If you press down on the top of the waterfall it will probably make a lot of noise. I have no real suggestions on how to fix it. This area I think we just have to live with. Maybe someone can manufacture some real metal trim for the waterfall :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is it the front of the waterfall? Or the plastics behind the waterfall? I have some noises from behind. Not when turning or accelerating, just randomly. I hate to have the dealership disassemble things. Hoping it clears up on it's own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.