SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 S40 2.4i - Automatic transmission
When engaging the reverse gear, the car does this little "bump" (not sure what is the correct term) like someone barely hits the car behind, it's not like I get pushed forward from the seat, my body position doesn't change at all, but the car still makes this small movement.

I'm new to cars and from what I've heard, hard bumps when changing gears are very bad and mean trouble ... but I don't know about "slight bumps", are they bad as well or that's just how this gearbox works ?

Would like some advice from people owning similar cars before going to a mechanic, because people working on gearboxes in my city will always find something to repair and charge you for.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not an expert, but perhaps you are referring to the engine mounts which tend to go bad over time (normal wear and tear.) On my S40, going in reverse caused the engine/transmission to lurch forward and the engine mounts were weak so I would hear a noise and almost feel a push of the car jerking. Once the engine mounts were replaced, shifting into drive, neutral, reverse etc. was smooth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Checking your mounts is definitely a good idea, but that's where I'd stop.

I've got:

New axles
New motor & transmission mounts
Axle ping "cones" (rubber bits that were designed to prevent the splines of the axles moving a little and causing a "clack")

And mine does it too, with 206k on the transmission, going strong. My last S40 had ~190k and did the same thing. It's a pretty tiny little "squat" that both my cars do in this situation, so the severity of your condition or mine is hard to communicate. But if your mounts are all okay, don't sweat it at all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked the engine mount two days ago ... the way it looks now, it probably can't be called an "engine mount" anymore. Will update the post after I change the mount(s), but thanks for letting me know it's not something to worry too much about (besides the mounts).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Check transmission torque mount too if you haven’t, usually good to replace all mounts at the same time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts