1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AWD Collar sleeve failure - root cause?

Hello all,

I am FKK from Holland. I'm the proud owner of a 98 V70R AWD manual. See

I read a lot on this forum , so much knowledge, but this is my first post.

Bought the car with 160.000 km on it a year ago and now it's on 195.000.
Worked flawlessly until last week: I heard a clunk and after that some noise is coming from the center. Like a playing card in bicycle wheel.

Volvo dealer suspects the "sleeve collar" which I read a lot about. Next week he will dismount the angle gear to check.

Now my question: I read a lot about this collar and the angle gear, but I am looking for the actual "root cause" of the issue. I cannot find much about that.
I understand the replacement collar is of a better quality. But then, the problem will move to another component?

Or, if I replace the collar, will it break soon after again? Or will the angle gear go kaputt?
Might another component be the actual cause of the problem? The viscous coupler? How to know?
Should I replace the viscous just as a precaution?

In other words, I want to make sure that after replacing the collar, it will not break again after 2 weeks.
Or that something else breaks.

I look forward to your expertise

Regards,

FKK

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have no experience with the AWD Volvo's, but I would like to say welcome to SweedSpeed, and that you have a beautiful car!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You may also need an angle gear
Usually you don't hear anything unless something hard actually broke instead of the splines just worn down.
Root cause? Weak parts (collar splines and the splines on the AG).
At your miles it's doubtful the AG is still OK. The splines wear down just like it's opposite, the collar gear splines.
A Saffron AWD V70R is a rare bird you have there even for Europe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. Indeed it is a rare bird even over here. The XC variant though is quite popular.

But, assuming the angle gear and gearbox splines survived this collar breakage, can I 'assume' that the new collar will hold for about the same mileage (i.e. the root cause was the collar's material itself, not another component failing) ?

thanks

FKK

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Yep. It's basically a wear item... Do it when it fails and forget about it for another 160.000km. However, as JRL said it might be the AG itself... Also check the center support bearing of the driveshaft, they're known to go bad. And if the AG is out the driveshaft is already half removed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Had the propshaft refitted with new support bearing and centre U joint a few months ago. Reduced vibration a LOT.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
If you can't find and angle gear I just pulled one from a 1998 XC70 that I'll be selling. It's very smooth and no leaks. I don't know what shipping would be, but if you can't find one that might be a moot point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Will depend also on the chassis nr. of the donor.
Mine is 439958, i.e. below the VIN break in 1998 (i think 465xxx something is the break)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, no definitive diagnosis after having removed the angle gear. Collar looked bad -rusted and worn- but not dramatic. Most probably would have gone within another 50k km or so. Refitted a new one and als removed the propshaft, temporarily.

Now the suspect is the viscous coupler and/or the internal freewheel.

I have done a lot of research on the viscous but I have one remaining question. How to test the thing on a bench. The only tests I can find are on the car.
Since a new one is 1700 Euros I can find a used one but first want to diagnose for certain it is the viscous.

Does anybody know?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is the car still doing it with the propshaft removed?

Have you checked the CV joints and carrier bearing on the propshaft? The carrier bearing tearing loose can cause the propshaft to rub on the carrier and sound a lot like that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The noise is gone since removing the propshaft.

the carrier bearing was renewed 10.000 km ago and still feels perfect. the CVs feel good too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts