#1 ·
Yeah, I like cutting stuff up

assembeld and fully retracted

compressed

apart

in half

piston retracted

failed seal

First off, I didn't expect to see that spring there. That means the bearing spins the whole time the engine is running(not just when you disengage the clutch).

Now the seal. Any ideas why the rubber looks like that?
Perhaps cheap quality rubber, or too much heat?

Btw, this failed at 70K miles.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Slave cylinder dissected (rushin_max)

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to make the cutaways and post the great pics. I couldn't picture in my mind what it looked like before your post.

#3 ·
was there no green rubber going around the outside of it ?

#6 ·
Re: Slave cylinder dissected (Hi Alt R)

Nah, that seal has gotta run at least $3!

#7 ·

Quote, originally posted by Hi Alt R »
So a 20 cent seal is what causes the need for a thousand dollar repair? Ugh!

Try 3 thousand

Rushin http://********************/smile/emlove.gif http://********************/smile/emlove.gif http://********************/smile/emlove.gif

great pics

#8 ·
Re: Slave cylinder dissected (FEO)

Quote, originally posted by rushin_max »

First off, I didn't expect to see that spring there. That means the bearing spins the whole time the engine is running(not just when you disengage the clutch).
Huh. So, resting your foot on the clutch makes no difference in these cars?

Quote »
Now the seal. Any ideas why the rubber looks like that?
Perhaps cheap quality rubber, or too much heat?

Btw, this failed at 70K miles.
Where's that seal exactly?

Maybe changing the brake/clutch fluid more often would be a solution to this problem?

Quote, originally posted by FEO »

Try 3 thousand
Really? I'm seeing $2k at the most.

#11 ·
Re: Slave cylinder dissected (Mika)

Quote, originally posted by Mika »
heh, our company firewall says your image hosting site has a "bad reputation" and refuses to show the pics..

That's HR lingo for "get your a** back to work"

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by Hi Alt R »

That's even worse then! 20 cent gasket failure causes $2K repair.
Well, what I'm expecting to pay is $700~$800 for labor and ~$400 for parts.

#14 ·
Re: (badams1897)

Quote, originally posted by badams1897 »
Maybe I am stupid but if the seal is only going bad why not just replace seal when repairing? Why $400 for parts? Also any symptoms of a slave going bad?
$210 for the clutch kit, $115 for the slave cylinder, few dollars here and there for seals and fluids.

Oh, and perhaps a ~$200(?) to get the flywheel resurfaced.

I'm still wondering where exactly this seal is. I'm guessing it's not easily accessible? And, might as well replace it (as it's is the throw-out bearing...)

Symptoms of a bad slave:
-car leaks brake/clutch fluid
-clutch goes down and doesn't come back up!

#15 ·
Re: Slave cylinder dissected (StarmanDXE)

Quote, originally posted by StarmanDXE »

Well, what I'm expecting to pay is $700~$800 for labor and ~$400 for parts.
That's what I said at first. Others said higher. I did look at the other slave cylinder thread and 1500 seems average. It is still bad for a 20 cent piece of rubber (or whatever it is made of). I guess that with a MY 2004 (purchased June 2003) that I am lucky (with 42k miles) that I have not had to have the slave cylinder replaced.

#18 ·
Re: (rushin_max)

Quote, originally posted by rushin_max »

Nope. I think you're thinking of this one:
http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/...3.jpg
Hmm... I wonder if those (newer?) ones fail as badly/often then?

I should end up with an extra one of those soon if you want me to send it to you so you can hack it up...

#19 ·
Re: Slave cylinder dissected (StarmanDXE)

Quote, originally posted by StarmanDXE »

Huh. So, resting your foot on the clutch makes no difference in these cars?

Well, your foot will add force. The spring is pretty light.

#20 ·
Re: Slave cylinder dissected (LloydDobler)

Quote, originally posted by LloydDobler »
Well, your foot will add force. The spring is pretty light.
So, stressing the diaphragm spring is a bad thing as well...?

Or, regardless of the fact that the throw-out bearing is always spinning, the extra force from having your foot on it will cause it to wear differently/more?

#21 ·
Ya, the 2nd. Although I don't think I've seen anyone wear out the throwout bearing on these before the seal.

In fact, I've been rethinking my "no foot on the clutch" rule that is designed to save the throwout bearing; Think about it. If you take your foot off the clutch at every stop, instead of leaving it pressed to the floor, you stroke the seal twice as much...

#23 ·
Re: (firehawk618)

Quote, originally posted by firehawk618 »
Instead of pushing in the clutch when you're going to stop just pull it out of gear. I'm sure you already know what i'm talking about. Done properly it won't damage a thing.
I do it all the time.
Works easier at high altitude.

#24 ·
Re: (Hi Alt R)

Any chance the clutch shock limiter can be a root cause of seal failures? It's an air vent pipe that attaches to the slave cylinder/throw-out bearing. A valve in here takes the hydraulic pressure off of the throw-out bearing when shifting. I wonder if this pressure is also felt at the seal. It was revised at some point.

EDIT: by reading other threads, I guess it can, and it's called a torque limiter.

Modified by S60R1 at 2:38 PM 7-16-2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.