SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my slave cyl was dead as the car would not shift right and the pedal was sticking. After looking up what the problem could be I assumed it would be a bad slave cyl.
It ended up being a clutch disc that that fell apart probably due to no fault of it's own. I will say I am glad the project came up as the angle gear sleeve did not look healthy and was stuck to the trans. Advance Auto Parts kit number 41 was the side hammer kit that was used. We slid the 2 jaw puller inside the 2 holes that we drilled in the sleeve and pulled like heck.

angle gear looks good with square teeth

The trans side looks terrible, no teeth have square tops like they should

New flywheel from Viva (Spec) is causing some rattling somewhere, I can't decide if it's acceptable yet, the car has about 75 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great pics, what year is your car?

Thanks,
Stu

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Great job in removing the coupler! The fact that you were able to drill through it says something about the lack of hardening on this component.

The disc looks like it must have started slipping for some reason and then destroyed itself. Judging by rivet depth, it does not look worn out.

If you are using a single mass flywheel, on a five cylinder engine, you are going to get gear rattle. It will be worse if you did not use a sprung hub disc on the clutch. Which clutch components did you use? It really does no harm and I assume this is only occuring in neutral with the clutch out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is an 06 with 100k on it.
I think the clutch disc has plenty of material on it. One side of the organic material was just floating around in there. I have a feeling the clutch was let out rather aggressively on a launch.
I went with the oem R clutch, for some reason I hear this rattle even when in gear, usually at higher load at lower rpm.
The dual mass flywheel scared the crap out of me, I don't understand how they don't destruct themselves.
We also threw some Eibach lowering springs on it while it was in the air.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Did you have clunks noticeable in first 3 gears when shifting/pressing in and releasing clutch before installing single mass flywheel?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have only had the car for about a week. The first 2 days I could hear nothing at all. It was silent. Someone else had the car when it started acting up. I am not really sure what it was doing before we took it apart, I didn't even drive it to the shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts