SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to make apt easily 10 days out for basic stuff like oil changes. They never have loaner cars available. The other Volvo dealer 90 miles is just as busy. Makes me wonder why... my porsche dealership never has this issue. I always get a loaner. Any else have long waits at their dealer? They just called me and asked if I can come back next week cause they are overwhelmed. He agreed to do the motor mount while he has my car. I love the car...the service .....

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ve only had a couple of oil changes on my XC40, but I can usually get in within a couple days or maybe a week when I ask for a loaner. I’m paying for an oil change on Monday because I change at a 5,000 mile interval and I easily got a loaner for that service.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
My dealer is consistently 2+ weeks out on loaners and about a week out on any service without a loaner. I get the impression that they are under-staffed.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Mine was 1 week delay of maintenance service for an appointment with a loaner. Also they are understaffed but they are a small but high quality dealership based on my past (awesome) interaction. Definitely worth the wait for me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I was very lucky going to Bob Smith Volvo (new dealership) in Calabasas, CA (Thousand Oaks). I made the appointment on the day I took it in. I did not ask for a loaner but was offered one as they needed to keep the car till late in the afternoon. They have around 20 loaner cars most of which were already loaned out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Same situation here in WNC. Sounds like the service depts haven't staffed up to handle the sales volume increases since 2016.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My dealer lacks loaners. I can get scheduled quickly unless I need a loaner, then it's 7-10 days out.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
you should go to an indy then. no two week waits here.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just took my xc90 in for the 50k--dealer changed its policy to no longer partner with Enterprise Rent a Car, which now makes getting any loaner a bit more of a process.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
The exact opposite here in Michigan, probably due to not many newer Volvos around. I call-in for my service and book an appointment around a week in advance, and the SA always has a loaner for me. He always asks me if I would prefer a Sedan/SUV/Wagon.

I have never had any issues with my Dealership. I just handed in my car yesterday and got a 60-mile driven, 2020 XC90 T6 as a loaner while they do the 40k mile service and a couple of warranty-related stuff on my V90CC. The dealership also does not charge me for Sensus updates and Tire rotation as well.

The issues many Volvo owners face with dealerships is partly because of how busy a dealership genuinely might be and partly because of how customer-centric the dealership is. I think I lucked out in both these cases!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Never a problem getting a loaner here in Northern NJ. Too close to VCNA HQ I guess.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have to make apt easily 10 days out for basic stuff like oil changes. They never have loaner cars available. The other Volvo dealer 90 miles is just as busy. Makes me wonder why... my porsche dealership never has this issue. I always get a loaner. Any else have long waits at their dealer? They just called me and asked if I can come back next week cause they are overwhelmed. He agreed to do the motor mount while he has my car. I love the car...the service .....
The Volvo dealership we've been using for almost 20 years is the busiest I've seen in many, many years. They currently share a service center with Subaru. They were scheduled to build a state of the art Volvo Service Center this past January but have been delayed for various reasons and have not even broken ground yet. I can usually get in within a couple of days. They have loaner cars but I work 3 1/2 miles away so they provide Uber rides, which actually is a pretty good solution. If either of our cars needed a longer stay they would require a little more advance notice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
recalls on spa cars have us backed up about a week longer than usual, also oil changes are not quick anymore. means few people willing to wait for service and just book next available day with loaner. It makes it tougher to schedule for everyone.

xc60 tailgate arms and seat nuts, xc90 coolant hoses, xc40 software etc. these are small, but people usually wait until service is needed. add those to a oil rotate and 2.0 software and its a 2 hour service on every. single. car.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Currently, in Bay Area, Northern California, 1 week delay for an appt with Uber/Shuttle, and 3 week delay for appt with a loaner. I feel Volvo dealers don't want to increase space or hire employees in case there is a downturn. In 2008 two Volvo dealers in the region closed completely, and others shrunk tremendously. The remaining dealers have small lots, with large storage areas / parking structures shared with other brands several blocks away.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Technician staffing is a fine line due to the flat rate system. If there are too many techs, the guys don't make as much because there is less work per guy. But too few techs and there are delays like that.

I'm sure technician staffing is a big contribution what you guys are seeing. It could also be that a few guys are out on vacation at the same time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts