SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I'm home on LI bumbling around town it's easier to go to 1, 3, 5 or 1, 2, 4, etc. It all depends on speed so as not to lug the thing.

I was wondering how common practice this was with all you other 6MT guys.

Anyone?

:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I rarely skip on upshifts... Usually it's only 4-6. Downshifts I go 5-3 for turning into somewhere off of a main road (and that's the only downshifting I really do...).

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Mine usually is 1-2-3-4-6. I can not remember the last time I used 5 either on the up or down.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I skip shift pretty often, ive been starting in 2 a lot more also recently. 1st gear is so short for easy starts.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I skip shift everytime im driving. It doesnt hurt it if the revs and clutch are used correct. If it feels fine youre doing fine. Sure some may argue your doing excessive wear on that gear but it wouldnt be noticeable till youve never touched a gear in 100k miles or something like that.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yup, I skip 5th on the upshift usually if I'm going to be cruising.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I skip shift pretty often, ive been starting in 2 a lot more also recently. 1st gear is so short for easy starts.
I have wondered about this before but never really done it. Doesn't it put more wear on the clutch than just going from 1 to 2?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I like doing it when there are passengers in the car especially, it is a much smoother take off as long as you can keep it from bogging. I'm sure it burns the clutch a little more than starting in first, but then again you are shifting one less time so maybe it cancels out?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have wondered about this before but never really done it. Doesn't it put more wear on the clutch than just going from 1 to 2?
I also use 2nd to start from anything other than a dead stop. If I'm rolling at all, 2nd is just much smoother and really doesn't take much clutch use at all.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Can you give me some tips on rev matching?
Takes a little time to get a feel for how much to jab the throttle between gears, I don't think there's really a science to it. Just start trying to rev match every day when you're driving alone (so as not to jar or startle passengers), and you'll eventually get it figured out.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
1-2-6 is pretty normal for me when getting accelerating to 60. I just wind it out in each gear until I hit the desired speed, then drop it into a cruising gear. When not punching it, I row through most of the gears. On down shift, it depends on the speed I'm going and when I decide to down shift. I pick the gear and match it. I'm in the habit of double clutching into 1st at a 10 MPH roll. It will helps out the synchros but is not necessary. The M66 floats between gears pretty easily, but it's easy to put unnecessary wear on the synchros if you float between the gear unprecisely (really a dog box is much better), so I tried it a few times and then quit.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I skip shift daily. 1, 2, 3, 5. I leave it in 5th for most driving at 35mph, only at 45 mph do I use 6th.

I remember the first time someone else with a manual was riding in my car and was like WTH are you doing... fun times.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I rarely go through all the gears on the street. If I'm by myself or with someone that appreciates the music (and the weather is cooperating), then wind it through the powerband up through 1, 2, sometimes third and then to appropriate cruising gear. With family then typically shift at 3.5 to 4k until I get to cruising speed and then to appropriate gear, so I'm cruising somewhere between 2 and 2.5k rpms. I rarely use 5th, so I usually shift 1, 2 to 4 or 1, 2, 3 to 6th.

Downshifting is a different story. I only downshift to keep the engine in the powerband and double clutch out of habit (Been doing it for over 40 years, no sense changing now). If I'm braking hard, I skip. For example, coming off the interstate onto an exit ramp I'll go 6th to 3rd. If coming to a stop sign, I'll slip to neutral and come to a stop with no downshift unless I'm worried about a situation where I need to get back on the pipe.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
When I want to skip a gear I will still run the shifter through the skipped gate. Helps reduce wear on the synchro by splitting up the sync between the two synchros instead of putting all the burden of syncing the higher disk speed all on one. Also gives the engine the extra time required match the RPM of the shift.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts