SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a topic a while ago about the possibility of using the skid plate to protect the collar from the elements.

Now I got my angle gear changed last June. Before the beginning of winter season and put the skid plate on.

Our canadian winters are harsh and there was a lot of salt on the roads. I took the plate off while changing the oil today and here is what I got:
(Bottom of the picture is facing front of the car if that make sense)

Now I noticed a little oil spot on the bottom of the angle gear. I figured that it would be coming from turbo:

Am I correct? Or that would be the valve I hear so much about?

Any thoughts on how to deal with this leak?
70,000, 2004 auto, no tracking, oil use 1 quart 5,000 miles.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
To me that does not look like it is coming from the angle gear.

There is not issue with corrosion on the collar, our analysis of the worn parts clearly showed that corrosion was minimal and played no role in the failure. The location is not sealed, but neither is it splashing out in the mud.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Re: Skid plate protection for angle gear/collar (Denis)

for all us folk living down here in Global Climate Warming Change land...

the skid plate is a huge no ... no on the R model

because it blocks cooling of the engine & transmission

but since you live in the great white north

you will probably hit a moose and total your car before the trans is fried

.... are you allowed to keep the meat ?

... do Canadians wear helmuts to keep from breaking your knecks when you hit highway fauna???

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Denis »
There was a topic a while ago about the possibility of using the skid plate to protect the collar from the elements.

Now I got my angle gear changed last June. Before the beginning of winter season and put the skid plate on.

Now I noticed a little oil spot on the bottom of the angle gear. I figured that it would be coming from turbo:
Am I correct? Or that would be the valve I hear so much about?

Any thoughts on how to deal with this leak?
70,000, 2004 auto, no tracking, oil use 1 quart 5,000 miles.

Noticed some fluid in the upper right of the first photo (on the two boots) that seems to have a red tint. Unless this is undercoating or something from the road , you may want to start there and check all transmission seals as well as all connections (trans cooler piping, etc). Could this fluid have drained down on the angle gear?

To address the heat issue. It seems the HDPE (plastic) skid attachment with vents (directed up to the rear engine/trans area) would not create a significant heat trap. Opinions on this? Guess I could move the temp probe to this area and run it with and without the skid plate to determine the answer.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Skid plate protection for angle gear/collar (ZenZone)

Quote, originally posted by ZenZone »

Noticed some fluid in the upper right of the first photo (on the two boots) that seems to have a red tint. Unless this is undercoating or something from the road , you may want to start there and check all transmission seals as well as all connections (trans cooler piping, etc). Could this fluid have drained down on the angle gear?

It is undercoating/ antirust spray.
Quote, originally posted by ZenZone »

To address the heat issue. It seems the HDPE (plastic) skid attachment with vents (directed up to the rear engine/trans area) would not create a significant heat trap. Opinions on this? Guess I could move the temp probe to this area and run it with and without the skid plate to determine the answer.

Thanks

I posted this question a while ago and I guess the general consensus was that it is ok to have the plate as long as you are not tracking or towing anything. I will be running without it during the summer.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

Good catch Zen. That really looks like tranny fluid, to be completely honest. I've never seen an undercoat spray look "wet" nor applied to the CV boots and rubber hoses randomly like that.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Skid plate protection for angle gear/collar (T5 for Life)

Yeah for us living north of the great rust belt, the more antirust spray, the better.

BTW I called my mechanic and he mentioned that in order to get the proper access to turbo, the angle gear will have to be removed.
Is this something that requires attention ASAP?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Denis »
BTW I called my mechanic and he mentioned that in order to get the proper access to turbo, the angle gear will have to be removed.
Is this something that requires attention ASAP?

No that doesn't make sense. Access for what?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Skid plate protection for angle gear/collar (Oceans60R)

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »

No that doesn't make sense. Access for what?

When I described the leak and mentioned the oil return line he said that the angle gear has to come off in order to get the access to the turbocharger/lines.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

I've resealed hundreds of oil return pipes on AWD Turbo Volvo's.
You DO NOT need to pull the angle gear! Thats ridiculous.
Flat Rate time was 1.5 hrs.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

NP

In fact, I just replaced a turbo in a '01 XC70 two weeks ago and there is still no need to pull the angle gear. Same setup as the R. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.