SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<p>Sorry for the cross-posting ... I'm new to this forum and I just realized<br>that there was this wheels forum!<p>We have a couple of questions regarding wheel size for a '98 V70R:<p>Our V70R came with 16" meteor ...<p>We would like to put snow tires in it. What size should they be: 15" or 16"?<br>The manuals ('98 and 99) give contradictory information, so we are quite<br>confused.<p>The other question we have is: if 15" are ok, could we use the 15" alloy wheels from our old 740 Turbo wagon?<p>Thanks for you help, and again sorry for the cross-posting!<p>

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: Size of wheels for snow tires for '98 V70R? (oicrey)

I'm not sure if 15" wheels will fit over your R brakes or not. I've heard kind of two different scenarios/sizes of R brakes and not sure if it will work on your year of V70. They likely will on the 850R but not V70R, but don't take my word on that, someone will know for sure.<br>If they don't fit I would buy those steel 16" rims from the S80 and put winter tires on those. That would be your cheapest alternative if your 15" is small. <br>If your 740 rims do fit your brakes you will likely need some hub centering rings as these wheels are for a RWD application with a different offset.<br>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Size of wheels for snow tires for '98 V70R? (Spearzy)

Thanks ... <br>Probably a dumb question, but here it goes:<p>Is there an easy way of figuring out which brakes we have?<p><br>Thanks again!<br>

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

What you have is 280mm (11-inch diameter) vented front rotors and 292mm (11.5-inch diameter) solid rear rotors. I have yet to see a US market 1998 V70R AWD with the "16-inch brakes" as they are sometimes called, or more correctly, the 302mm diameter vented front rotors. <p>If you feel you need more braking power then you can get a "big brake" kit from IPD, but you will not be able to use 15" rims.<p>Oh, and if you want to get a cover for that hole in the left side of your bumper, check out: <A HREF="http://www.myvolvoparts.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.myvolvoparts.com</A> <p>click the OEM parts button and select " collision" and enter Volvo; 1998; V70, then follow the tree from "rear bumper" and open all the folders 'til you get to: <p>Rear Bumper, Bumper & Components, Station Wagon, Cover, Guide(L), <p>and don't forget to get two "Rivets" to fasten it on... total cost is ~$9.00 but then you'll have to get it painted Saffron ... <p><br><BR><BR>
[Modified by petew, 6:50 AM 11-22-2002]

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

15" rims with snow tires will fit. I still have my snow tires and rims from my 1998 V70 R available for sale. See my thread posted in the Classified section.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Re: Size of wheels for snow tires for '98 V70R? (GrecianVolvo)

too late Yannis, i had a nice run out the pike and up the Susq. two Saturdays ago and gave oicrey a set of Borbet H rims with Blizzaks. <p><BR><BR>
[Modified by petew, 4:00 AM 11-22-2002]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Size of wheels for snow tires for '98 V70R? (petew)

Pete,<p>Thanks again for the info (and the tires!)<p>Octavia<br>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts