SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted another item which reminded me I wanted to pose a question to the group...

I park my car at the airport every week, I use a valet service that drops me off at the terminal, it saves a great deal of hassle and time. The service also starts the car, pulls it around and depending on the weather has it scraped of ice/snow and heat on or the AC nice and cold for you.

I noticed the other day that when the driver returns with the cars they line them up, leave them running for another employee to park. The line of running cars seemed to be pretty long, and it dawned on me that they depending on volume of travelers they could be sitting idling for some time. Also, they leave the car running for you as a "service" to heat/cool it when you call to say you have landed, but it could be 15+ minutes before you actually catch a shuttle to the lot to get into your car.

The point of this long winded message is this: Is it bad for to leave the car sitting idle for long periods of time (15+ minutes)? I do realize that the reason my average MPG usually looks so awful is due to this but I don't want any mechanical damage to be done.

Your insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
If you don't leave your car idle for 3 hrs (like some drunk guy did on these forums and fried his DEM wires) you should be fine letting it idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Right. The drunk guy let his car idle for 3 hours and it melted the DEM since it's cooled by airflow underneath the car. No airflow and its proximity to the exhaust=melted DEM.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have read that idling for long periods also is not necessarily the best thing for catalytic converters as most cars tend to run rich at idle, not sure about the R though

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I wouldn't say I idle for HOURS at a time, but I was idling for about an hour at a time yesterday while watching a movie in my car waiting for deliveries to roll in. I had one maybe ever hour, the move was 2.5 hours long.... Today I idled for maybe 50 minutes with the AC on.. I have idled for about 4 hours in my S40 once.. I sat in there on my laptop, again, same situation... That was a bad day. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really do anything. Especially not 15 minutes lol the car was designed to endure being a car. As long as it doesn't overheat (or apparently melt the DEM) it will be fine.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Right. The drunk guy let his car idle for 3 hours and it melted the DEM since it's cooled by airflow underneath the car. No airflow and its proximity to the exhaust=melted DEM.
I was surprised by that thread, especially because it was winter where he was with snow on the ground. You'd think that between the lower air temp and the snow it would have prevented the damage. I thought as much at least.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am in the habbit of blipping the throttle every now and then when I am stuck in traffic. Like I am driving a 2 stroke jet ski and dont want the plugs to get fouled. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts