SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's an older thread on this, but thought I would update what my experience has been so far with SiriusXM's Travel Link.

Let's start from the beginning. Picked up our car in mid-May. Immediately started our SiriusXM radio trial period (3-months). I didn't get around to looking at Travel Link until later around late May or early June. Had some interesting features, but then went to use it one day and it showed that there was no subscription.

I read around and saw that there should be a 4-year 'trial' subscription associated with it, with all new Volvo's (MY17+) and as part of a May 2016 software update. I called SiriusXM about this and after an hour and a half phone call, and having to convince them that my car supported Travel Link in the first place, they approved a 3-year trial subscription. They send a confirmation email and that says 2-years (though I didn't notice that part until today).

Fast-forward to this past week, when the trial period for the radio portion is about to run out. My wife calls SiriusXM to consolidate the trial account with our existing paid account we have for another car. Shocker, they screw up and drop the Travel Link subscription. So, we call in as we commute into work. We spend the first 30-40 minutes with various customer service and tech support people having to again convince them that our Volvo does in fact support Travel Link. Once we're past that hurdle, then we're onto "sorry sir, the trial subscription is only for 3-months". Argh....no, that's for the radio subscription. Then for the next 45 minutes we talk to 5 different people (constantly having to reconfirm our contact info...and which car has Travel Link) who say either it's a 2-year trial subscription, a 3-month trial subscription, that there's NO trial subscription.....it's exhausting.

We give up after the hour and thirty minute mark, after being told they signed off on a 2-year trial subscription, but that our selling dealer is the one that needs to contact SiriusXM to allow for a 4-year trial subscription, even though both SiriusXM's own website states 4-years for Volvos, Volvo's website states 4-years, and the dealer says they have no idea, and to contact SiriusXM.

It's absolutely ridiculous that it takes that much effort to do this.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yup, I had exactly the same experience with Sirius Travel Link with both of my current SPA Volvos. My ordeal was shorter only because I gave up a lot sooner than you did. There is simply not enough value for me in either Travel Link or SiriusXM radio to be bothered trying to get them to honor their commitments. They seem to make up policy on the fly. The only good thing about Sirius Customer Service is that it makes the folks at Volvo Customer Care look good by comparison. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only good thing about Sirius Customer Service is that it makes the folks at Volvo Customer Care look good by comparison. :rolleyes:
This! x1000

I've never had to deal with a customer service chain where it was SO blatantly obvious that they don't want to move things up the chain out of fear of dings on their weekly/monthly review. They'll straight up lie just to get you off the phone.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did you succeed at the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still working on it. I left it with SiriusXM saying that they can only honor a 2-year trial subscription, because according to them that's all my selling dealer (Herb Chambers Volvo of Norwood) authorized. So then I contact the dealer saying that SiriusXM is claiming that they (the dealer) have not updated their Travel Link trial membership contract info since before 2016....and of course the dealer has no idea what I'm talking about and is saying that Travel Link is a paid subscription.

Argh....why can't anyone just do their job and know their products?!!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is simply not enough value for me in either Travel Link or SiriusXM radio to be bothered trying to get them to honor their commitments.
We use SiriusXM radio pretty regularly, because in our previous car it was the only option really for a wide variety of music, since syncing phones to use Spotify was a pain. Now with Spotify built in, we definitely use it more often, and the sound quality is markedly better. But...Spotify becomes unusable when out in the boonies like we were this weekend where there was no cell service, so it was nice to fall back on SiriusXM radio.

For Travel Link, the main benefit to me in practice has been the weather map overlay onto the navigation map. It's a nice to have sort of thing. That and once winter sets in, having the live ski conditions and trail/lift openings for all the local ski mountains could be kinda handy. Otherwise, the traffic part is redundant. The weather home screen display is less useful than the built-in weather app. And I'm not a huge sports person, so the sports notifications aren't hugely important to me, though was sort of bummed to see that F1 is missing from the "Motorsports" category.

So yeah...radar map overlay, and ski conditions. That's really it for me. Plus, it's just the principle of offering something but not actually supporting it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I’m gonna share what I did

First get documented statements of the 4yrs travel link subscription from Volvo or your dealer. For reference.

Then If your dealer is nearby. Pass by and ask him to take your car off the dealers account. And active this feature as they should have at the delivery.

The other route is :
Call Sirius and keep asking for a manager.

Ask about the travel link, if they understand what you’re talking about. You’ve landed. If not. Don’t waste time ask for an escalation. Keep doing so until you get to someone who’s aware of the issue.

Don’t invest in this process more than one call and don’t accept a call back unless you’re already late in the day. The fix is less than 10 min.

When they quote you the “car not equipped”. Tell them manual override.

Personally I finished this in 3 calls.
Dealer, Volvo customer care and then Sirus. 3 days. One call a day 20-40 min.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna share what I did

First get documented statements of the 4yrs travel link subscription from Volvo or your dealer. For reference.
Did that, and shared it back to the dealer, including in addition, the reference on SiriusXM's own website about 4-years for Volvos.

The other route is :
Call Sirius and keep asking for a manager.

Ask about the travel link, if they understand what you're talking about. You've landed. If not. Don't waste time ask for an escalation. Keep doing so until you get to someone who's aware of the issue.
We did speak to a manager...two different ones actually, until we got one that could actually see all the information related to our previous contacts with SiriusXM. It was that person that identified that the dealer had not updated their info. She knew, with out me prompting, who the selling dealer was, what day the car sold and what day both the radio and Travel Link trials were activated by the dealer. The fact that they knew that is the ONLY reason I somewhat believe their story that the individual dealers set the trial period, since they activate the accounts.

When they quote you the "car not equipped". Tell them manual override.
Yeah, I didn't waste time with the people that said that. We'd just keep pushing them to hand us off to someone higher up, as we knew it works.

At this point, it's not about getting it working, though it's annoying that the two separate times we've called no one at SiriusXM seems to know that SiriusXM radio or Travel Link actually works with new Volvos. Now it's about getting someone to authorize/honor the 4-year trial of Travel Link. As of now, it's back on after yesterday's call, but with a 2-year trial.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Did that, and shared it back to the dealer, including in addition, the reference on SiriusXM's own website about 4-years for Volvos.

We did speak to a manager...two different ones actually, until we got one that could actually see all the information related to our previous contacts with SiriusXM. It was that person that identified that the dealer had not updated their info. She knew, with out me prompting, who the selling dealer was, what day the car sold and what day both the radio and Travel Link trials were activated by the dealer. The fact that they knew that is the ONLY reason I somewhat believe their story that the individual dealers set the trial period, since they activate the accounts.

Yeah, I didn't waste time with the people that said that. We'd just keep pushing them to hand us off to someone higher up, as we knew it works.

At this point, it's not about getting it working, though it's annoying that the two separate times we've called no one at SiriusXM seems to know that SiriusXM radio or Travel Link actually works with new Volvos. Now it's about getting someone to authorize/honor the 4-year trial of Travel Link. As of now, it's back on after yesterday's call, but with a 2-year trial.
I totally understand you brother
It's basically the dealer refusing the honor it and pushing us customers around to get away with it.

Tell the dealer you're going to highlight that in the customer survey unless it's resolved.

I know it's stressing for such a small detail.
My dealer ended up paying for a 4 year subscription to resolve it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts