SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd that Volvo has decide to be annoying by displaying a message every time I start my car that the subscription to SiriusXM has expired. Once would have been more than sufficient. I do realize that it isn't that onerous, but having my car nag me about something I specifically do not care about is just simply annoying.

I did raise this question with Volvo Customer Care, and after they investigated the issue they advised I should visit the dealer for a software update. I did this today, and they updated all the software, but it didn't have any effect on the message, so I am doubly upset that the message appears, and that they told me to do something that had no effect.

The dealer also advised that this same sort of message would appear continuously if you do not renew the On-Call subscription as well.

Way to go, nag your customer.

Peter

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Seems this only affects recent buyers. 1+yr old car doesn't do this.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Does anyone know what the time limit is on SiriusXM?

I've had this car for well over a year and it's still working fine. I've never contacted SiriusXM, they have never contacted me, and I have no idea how long the service is supposed to keep operating. I asked the dealer when I got it, and he didn't know either.

In fact, I seldom use it, so maybe it's a certain number of hours, rather than months?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does anyone know what the time limit is on SiriusXM?

I've had this car for well over a year and it's still working fine. I've never contacted SiriusXM, they have never contacted me, and I have no idea how long the service is supposed to keep operating. I asked the dealer when I got it, and he didn't know either.

In fact, I seldom use it, so maybe it's a certain number of hours, rather than months?
It's a 90 day trial for 2019s and newer. I'm worried that your dealer doesn't know that. You should've also received a brochure with your paperwork that gives you the specifics. At some point in the past it was a six month trial, but either way yours should be up if you bought in 2018.

I waited until the very end of the trial, and Sirius ended up giving me a great deal on a 12 month plan. They also recently included streaming in all their plans, so it's well worth it for me to pay a few dollars a month. Just going to have to deal with the hassle of renegotiating at renewal time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, every time I start the car it has this notice, started ever since the free 3 month trial ended at the end of June. I listen to audiobooks and mp3's so I never even used it, never contacted Sirius. They do keep sending me offers to reinstate it, last one was for $4.99 for 6 months.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Odd that Volvo has decide to be annoying by displaying a message every time I start my car that the subscription to SiriusXM has expired. Once would have been more than sufficient. I do realize that it isn't that onerous, but having my car nag me about something I specifically do not care about is just simply annoying.

I did raise this question with Volvo Customer Care, and after they investigated the issue they advised I should visit the dealer for a software update. I did this today, and they updated all the software, but it didn't have any effect on the message, so I am doubly upset that the message appears, and that they told me to do something that had no effect.

The dealer also advised that this same sort of message would appear continuously if you do not renew the On-Call subscription as well.

Way to go, nag your customer.

Peter
And on a probably not unrelated note, I have been getting junk snail mail recently which purports to be from Volvo in regard to my recent vehicle service visit, but which in fact is a nag from Sirius trying to get me to renew my subscription. I am not much of a conspiracy theorist, but in this case I strongly suspect that Volvo is reporting service visits to Sirius for promotional purposes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
And on a probably not unrelated note, I have been getting junk snail mail recently which purports to be from Volvo in regard to my recent vehicle service visit, but which in fact is a nag from Sirius trying to get me to renew my subscription. I am not much of a conspiracy theorist, but in this case I strongly suspect that Volvo is reporting service visits to Sirius for promotional purposes.
Hard to say. If they're using official Volvo markings to contact you then there must be some sort of agreement. However, it could just be crafty marketing on the part of Sirius to make it seem like the mail is from Volvo. The purpose being to try and get you to open the mail.

It may be Sirius engages with someone (like a CarFax) who collects vehicle history data. They already have your VIN, so if they wanted to track it that would be a very simple process. It'd also be easier than making deals with the individual car companies to provide service trips for which they'd likely want some compensation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know they got my name and address from Volvo as they started contacting me as soon as I took delivery of the car. But then again I suppose that would be normal as Volvo provides the 3 month complimentary subscription. I'm sure there is some value that SiriusXM uses, as they stopped contacting me about the radio in my '13 XC60 after a few years. Our '15 VW GTI still gets these offers every few months or so.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know they got my name and address from Volvo as they started contacting me as soon as I took delivery of the car. But then again I suppose that would be normal as Volvo provides the 3 month complimentary subscription. I'm sure there is some value that SiriusXM uses, as they stopped contacting me about the radio in my '13 XC60 after a few years. Our '15 VW GTI still gets these offers every few months or so.
Right, they get that information when the trial is activated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did anyone find a way to turn off this nagging notification? The trial just ended on my S60 and it's really annoying to see this every time I start the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I never found how to permanently disable the nag, but this does remind me of the stories that have been getting traction lately about how some DMVs are selling personal info.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pa7a3y/bernie-sanders-dmvs-stop-selling-profiting-drivers-data

I saw another article that covered how even when the strictly "personally identifiable data" is stripped, companies are easily able to cross-reference the data from DMVs with other public sources to connect the dots. Welcome to the world of Big Data™.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was wondering about my sub when it went over the nominal trial period. I went to the Sirius web site and put in my VIN, and it said I have a few more months than expected (can't remember if it was 6 or 9 months.)

You might want to try the Sirius site and see if there's a way to disable the nag (which I didn't see after the first week), maybe by saying you don't want to renew.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had Sirius on my previous car and when I got the Volvo I immediately went to the website and connected the Volvo with its 3 months free to my account and all is ok. My account gained 3 months before the next charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I pay for Spotify so I really don't have a need for Sirius. It's annoying if this is a persistent notification for everyone who decides not to pay for Sirius after the trial ends

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hate this as well...believe I posted about it before. I'm not paying the subscription, the sound quality sucks and most of the music I would listen to I already own so I just play music on my iPhone.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My 2018 XC90 started showing this annoying message after my complimentary subscription ended a couple of months ago. The November 2019 Sensus update addresses this issue. I had the software update at my second annual service yesterday and now the expired message is gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts