SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've played with carplay a bit, but haven't found it to be that great. I prefer the native Sensus apps and functionality.

That said, I would really like to be able to easily use Siri without enabling all of the carpal features.

I've tried the Hey Siri thing, but since my phone is usually in the closed arm rest that doesn't work very well.

Is there a way to use the speech button to enable siri when carplay isn't enabled?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Really?

In the non-Spa Volvos, if I push the Siri button on my phone (when paired with Sensus) I get Siri through the audio system and she can dial numbers, send texts, etc.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Really?

In the non-Spa Volvos, if I push the Siri button on my phone (when paired with Sensus) I get Siri through the audio system and she can dial numbers, send texts, etc.
OP was asking about using the Hands Free on wheel (not on phone since it is in glove box).

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yes.

As Skitruckmaskin mention, the OP asked if there was a way to use the speech button to enable siri when carplay isn't enabled.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Having your phone plugged in with CarPlay does not preclude you from using Sensus Nav or Sensus Media.
You can listen to Sirius, Aux, Pandora, CD or the Radio when CarPlay is active.

If you need Siri or a CarPlay function, it's there. What exactly do you gain by not just having it active in the background?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like I need to play with carplay a little more.

If I can use Sensus Nav and media, keep carplay in the back ground (use siri for the phone), and have the census weather app in the 4th tile that would be a good solution.

Nav and Media were the real concern. I really don't like using Map vs Nav due to the limited screen real-estate in carplay, and no display on the drivers display.

For the phone I don't want to waste two tiles (census plus carpal) so if I can use the apple phone app with siri while carplay is not on the main screen (vs the 4th tile), that would work

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah as much as I wish CarPlay was the one-stop solution it could be, I'll admit that I'm finding very handy for basically what the OP is asking for and find it doesn't interfere with using any of the sensus apps. Unfortunately I don't like any of them but I do like the nav integration so I use the sensus nav still when it makes sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I played a little more and remember the issue with having carplay in the background and the sensus weather app in the 4th tile...carplay disables wifi through bluetooth on the phone, which is what I use.

The only other option I have is $10 per month to add a SIM card to the car that shares data with the phone plan...hard to justify just to be able to use siri.

Without some type of wifi/data and carplay in the background there are two unusable tiles (3 and 4)...and I don't gain anything with carplay in slot 4.

I tried liking the carplay interface but really find that the usability is poor. One reason is the limited screen size for carplay, but also the limited information on the collapsed tile.

I guess I'll have to do without siri...maybe things will improve when wireless carplay comes to Sensus.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I played a little more and remember the issue with having carplay in the background and the sensus weather app in the 4th tile...carplay disables wifi through bluetooth on the phone, which is what I use.

The only other option I have is $10 per month to add a SIM card to the car that shares data with the phone plan...hard to justify just to be able to use siri.

Without some type of wifi/data and carplay in the background there are two unusable tiles (3 and 4)...and I don't gain anything with carplay in slot 4.

I tried liking the carplay interface but really find that the usability is poor. One reason is the limited screen size for carplay, but also the limited information on the collapsed tile.

I guess I'll have to do without siri...maybe things will improve when wireless carplay comes to Sensus.
Where do you live? It's nice that they give you the option to use your own SIM and use an existing shared data plan to power the car. Here in the US, even if you have an AT&T shared mobile data plan with a $10 option to add a data device, they don't allow it for the Volvo. You must use their SIM and subscribe to their plan (when they begin offering it), that will likely cost far more than $10/month if it matches what they have done with previous plans in their cars.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sounds like I need to play with carplay a little more.

If I can use Sensus Nav and media, keep carplay in the back ground (use siri for the phone), and have the census weather app in the 4th tile that would be a good solution.

Nav and Media were the real concern. I really don't like using Map vs Nav due to the limited screen real-estate in carplay, and no display on the drivers display.

For the phone I don't want to waste two tiles (census plus carpal) so if I can use the apple phone app with siri while carplay is not on the main screen (vs the 4th tile), that would work
The obvious solution, which I know Volvo could do, is to let the Sensus screen serve as a display/monitor/whatever with sound for whichever phone is plugged into the USB, or even through a wireless connection. I have had this discussion with others, and yes it can be done.

This is a perfect example of a problem that could be solved by a talented, motivated technologist who could create a work around that by its nature could not impact the operational elements of the SUV itself.

It could be an app on a phone or a ingenious tweak of the Sensus system.

I am not good at that. Volvo is way, way behind the curve when it comes to applying technology, and they set Sensus up as more a barrier than an aid.

However, there are many out there who are very good at it, and this is the best and most likely candidate for a helpful hack. We just need a little help, and yes I would happily use a tweak/hack/root like that.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The obvious solution, which I know Volvo could do, is to let the Sensus screen serve as a display/monitor/whatever with sound for whichever phone is plugged into the USB, or even through a wireless connection. I have had this discussion with others, and yes it can be done.

This is a perfect example of a problem that could be solved by a talented, motivated technologist who could create a work around that by its nature could not impact the operational elements of the SUV itself.

It could be an app on a phone or a ingenious tweak of the Sensus system.

I am not good at that. Volvo is way, way behind the curve when it comes to applying technology, and they set Sensus up as more a barrier than an aid.

However, there are many out there who are very good at it, and this is the best and most likely candidate for a helpful hack. We just need a little help, and yes I would happily use a tweak/hack/root like that.
This is the opposite of a solution for the OP, who wants to use sensus nav while using Siri voice controls for other purposes, which is actually how the xc90 is set up, it's just far from perfect.

As has been discussed in the other threads you mention, mirroring has major limitations- you'd still need to control from your phone in a basic mirroring setup, the steering wheel button still wouldn't access Siri, nav info still wouldn't be ported to the HUD or driver display, and you couldn't access sensus functions like drive modes, start stop, 360 cameras etc.

A more sophisticated app like you mention has been created and it's called CarPlay. This is apples best effort. I don't love it either but don't hold your breath for a better solution in this car. Hopefully android will have a few advantages but I think for the most part this is what we're dealing with.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
To the op- I don't understand your need to constantly monitor the weather but I fully agree that the fourth tile (all the tiles really) should be variable or customized. That would actually be the real solution for you right now, simply being able to pick what info is displayed on the screen. Seems a no brainer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
This is the opposite of a solution for the OP, who wants to use sensus nav while using Siri voice controls for other purposes, which is actually how the xc90 is set up, it's just far from perfect.

As has been discussed in the other threads you mention, mirroring has major limitations- you'd still need to control from your phone in a basic mirroring setup, the steering wheel button still wouldn't access Siri, nav info still wouldn't be ported to the HUD or driver display, and you couldn't access sensus functions like drive modes, start stop, 360 cameras etc.

A more sophisticated app like you mention has been created and it's called CarPlay. This is apples best effort. I don't love it either but don't hold your breath for a better solution in this car. Hopefully android will have a few advantages but I think for the most part this is what we're dealing with.
Car Play is nothing like what I was describing. I just want to see and "hear" what's showing on my phone's screen, which would be infinitely better than Car Play. It can definitely be done. The software for Sensus is a lot of lines of code all of which can be changed. The changes that can be made are strictly limited to hardware's functionality, in this case the ability of the screen to display data and the touch capability of the screen. You can't make the screen, or the steering wheel buttons, do more than each is capable of, but beyond that anything is possible.

Of course the best thing would be to be able to upgrade and use the SUV's existing wireless capability to connect directly to a cell service and not have to go through a phone. It definitely can be done.

It's a new day -- just not for Volvo.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It's almost hard to believe you have an xc90. To your second point, you can do just that, connect the car directly to the Internet. The xc90 has a SIM card. As to your first point I understand exactly what you are requesting and I agree it can be done but with the accompanying handicaps listed in my previous response. I know you're not describing CarPlay but this "
This is a perfect example of a problem that could be solved by a talented, motivated technologist who could create a work around that by its nature could not impact the operational elements of the SUV itself. " sounds like CarPlay. My point is that not just anyone is going to develop software tweaks for sensus, and those that are going to (Apple, Volvo, Google) are going to be very safety/litigation minded, so we will continue to see applications like CarPlay for now.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
There's like, what, 5,000 different Android phones running all variants (mostly out of date) versions of that software...
And you want Volvo to design a system that can mirror your phone screen? Where do climate controls go?

Never, ever, ever going to happen. Mainly because it's a terrible idea and there's no $ incentive for anyone to hack a way to even close.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There's like, what, 5,000 different Android phones running all variants (mostly out of date) versions of that software...
And you want Volvo to design a system that can mirror your phone screen? Where do climate controls go?

Never, ever, ever going to happen. Mainly because it's a terrible idea and there's no $ incentive for anyone to hack a way to even close.
All he is talking about is something similar to what you can do in a properly equipped Honda Civic now with it's HDMI port that with an adapter allows you to mirror your phone screen. It would be a window on your screen just like CarPlay so it wouldn't have any impact on climate control. The window is passive. Control is still from the mobile device.

I agree, I doubt it will happen. But it's not a terrible idea and there is precedent for it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mirroring isn't going to be an ideal experience either, because there are plenty of apps that don't take advantage of the landscape orientation. It'd look terrible on the Sensus tile, akin to viewing portrait YouTube videos on your desktop monitor.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you're just mirroring into a single tile on sensus and still have to control through your phone, I don't really see the point. A vent mount would be a cleaner, more useful solution. Pretty sure my phone is larger than a sensus tile and not constricted to landscape format.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts