SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Ok guys!!! What are we going to do about a Siri button? Its just a software upgrade away? Should we do a petition????
Michél

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes... There is not much new on the Volvo front... Besides the V40. I have had 19 Volvo's since 1998 and my options are running out..as I change sometimes more than once a year.. The least they can do is to keep it fresh and current. I think they are missing the plot with the possibleC90 etc... The baseline is missing now in a big way...
Michél

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We're probably closer to an "Auto Drive" button than we are a Siri button. Wouldn't that be sweet!

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Yes... There is not much new on the Volvo front... Besides the V40. I have had 19 Volvo's since 1998 and my options are running out..as I change sometimes more than once a year.. The least they can do is to keep it fresh and current. I think they are missing the plot with the possibleC90 etc... The baseline is missing now in a big way...
Michél
Stay tuned...(pun intended)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I hope so! I was so irritated to find no reference to Volvo on that list of car companies :(

Come on guys, it is a matter of licensing more than technology, and Siri is not as usable as people's think it is. I have it on my phone as well. For some things, it works ok. For some others, it stinks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but Siri is the future. Pity that with the old Volvo's, I could actually hold the talk button in and start Voice Recognition, but not any more....
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
GMs response seems more in line with an Apple response about new features! They have "nothing to announce at this time" - hell, that is what Apple says about everything if they down outright deny existence of products.

I thought the interpretation of the car companies responses to mean they didn't know about it or aren't anywhere near that timeframe is funny.

What is VERY un-Apple like is that Apple doesn't seem to have coordinated responses from the car companies, and that is pretty bad. While I have not been one to dig up Steve Jobs at every turn, I must admit, this seems unlikely if he had been involved, because I would have expected him to be meeting with all the car companies personally to get their buy in.

Hopefully the desire of the consumer will still move this forward.

And yes, Siri is not perfect, not even excellent. But a button to activate Siri would if course not need new work as new versions of Siri come out and make it better. I don't have Siri, but I have seen plenty of friends that use Siri exclusively to write text messages and my jealously is intense, especially when I'm driving and would love to be able to respond to texts (but I don't).

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I find it hard to believe that manufacturers will add a dedicated "siri" button. I can only imagine what licensing & restrictions apple will bundle with this. Will this button HAVE to be an APPLE logo? I can picture apple forcing that requirement, plus the button can't be used for anything else. Will BMW really put a button on their car with an actual apple logo? I pray all car companies resist this. Also, I've read that for it to even work, you'd have to plug your iphone into the usb. Are people going to start doing that again? After all the bluetooth stuff we've gone through and with keyless entry, all this tech so that stuff can stay in our pockets or purse, now we're going to go out of our way to pull out that phone to plug it in?

What really should happen is a new bluetooth protocol should be created for activating "voice whatever", this protocol works generically for iphone, android, windows, whatever, and some generic ? button is added somewhere. As a plus, this would force more people to keep bluetooth on, pair their phones, and start using handsfree phone more often.

I have very mixed feelings about this type of tech. It's getting old, constantly dreaming up new stuff so that we can multi-task more WHILE DRIVING. Just drive, enjoy the music or chat with an ACTUAL human, and be safe.....

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I find it hard to believe that manufacturers will add a dedicated "siri" button. I can only imagine what licensing & restrictions apple will bundle with this. Will this button HAVE to be an APPLE logo? I can picture apple forcing that requirement, plus the button can't be used for anything else. Will BMW really put a button on their car with an actual apple logo? I pray all car companies resist this. Also, I've read that for it to even work, you'd have to plug your iphone into the usb. Are people going to start doing that again? After all the bluetooth stuff we've gone through and with keyless entry, all this tech so that stuff can stay in our pockets or purse, now we're going to go out of our way to pull out that phone to plug it in?

What really should happen is a new bluetooth protocol should be created for activating "voice whatever", this protocol works generically for iphone, android, windows, whatever, and some generic ? button is added somewhere. As a plus, this would force more people to keep bluetooth on, pair their phones, and start using handsfree phone more often.
Exactly. There is more to that than meets the eye. Undoubtedly, it creates nice headlines. Personally, I am divided over the effectiveness of Siri, as it stands today. It works for me when I am driving and I want to send an email. It is perfect for that. Other tasks? It is way off and surprisingly behind the times with its search technology. We shall see how things develop in a year or two. Right now, and it is my personal opinion, it would have made no difference to me if my Volvo had a Siri button or not. I can get what I need to get, out of Siri, just the way it stands: straight through my iPhone 4S.

I have very mixed feelings about this type of tech. It's getting old, constantly dreaming up new stuff so that we can multi-task more WHILE DRIVING. Just drive, enjoy the music or chat with an ACTUAL human, and be safe.....
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I think car companies will still want to keep their distance from all the ties to smart device integration. It will only lead to more inattentive drivers on our roads. It doesn't matter if it's hands free, it still takes your attention away from a more demanding task.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You're not going to stop people from talking on cell phones, or even searching and texting from phones, in increasing numbers anymore than you are going to have people stop looking at them in restaurants.
for that you'd need a time machine, not a Volvo.

Siri makes it SAFER and easier... good things, both.
and Siri is about to do a lot more in iOS6

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I use Siri with bluetooth to play songs/playlists. I find it a heck of a lot safer while driving than trying to thumb wheel through a huge list of songs/albums on the nav screen. Sure would be nice if Siri was available through streaming bluetooth. I could then just leave my phone in my pocket and tell Siri do the rest. :thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Siri makes it SAFER and easier... good things, both.
and Siri is about to do a lot more in iOS6
For all you people who think it's a great idea to have a dedicated Siri button, here's the reason I hope Volvo doesn't go that direction:

The vast majority of cell phone users don't use iPhones

http://www.mobileburn.com/17776/new...obile-phone-users-carry-an-iphone-says-report

Sure, I can see them adding some sort of bluetooth function button if it's possible to assign it to a certain command on the phone but as a non-iPhone user, why would I want a useless extra button in my car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree, the vast majority do not use an iPhone, but an even greater majority don't use Bluetooth... And a car without Bluetooth these days is almost strange (at the level of a Volvo of course).

The idea of an activate voice button makes a lot more sense really, leave it generic!! Hell, if Apple changes the name of Siri to Frank, all these cars with a Siri button would be funny, unless you had one :).

My Honda Odyssey has an activate voice button, alas, it activates the unbearable Honda nav system and can't be programmed to do something else.

·
Registered
248 Posts
For all you people who think it's a great idea to have a dedicated Siri button, here's the reason I hope Volvo doesn't go that direction:

The vast majority of cell phone users don't use iPhones

we know.
and we feel sorry for you, while you're wasting time with your iPhone place-holding temporary devices. <g>

did you complain as bitterly when software would be available only for Windows? hmmm?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The solution to this problem is a bluetooth 'custom' button on the steering wheel. Through the Sensus interface and your bluetooth device you could program this button to activate any feature. Some users could use it for Siri, others for whatever they want.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
There already is a talk button on the steering wheel. If Siri was available via bluetooth a simple software solution would be to press, or press hold down for a few seconds, the button in media mode to activate Siri.

·
Registered
56 Posts
we know.
and we feel sorry for you, while you're wasting time with your iPhone place-holding temporary devices. <g>

did you complain as bitterly when software would be available only for Windows? hmmm?
I hope you're joking. If you're not then I'd like to introduce you to a fallacy called False Equivalence.

The fact is that 90% of cell phone users don't use iPhones. Compare that to about 80% of people using some form of Windows and you can see why that's considered False Equivalence. That's an overwhelming majority of people who have absolutely no use for a Siri button. You then, presumably, have 10% of the car-buying population that may or may not buy a car due to the fact it has a Siri button. In fact, if you base your car buying decisions on whether it has that button or not, there's absolutely no hope for you.

So what it boils down to is there's very little incentive for Volvo to put a dedicated Siri button in their cars.

And by the way, I went through two generations of iPhones before I switched to Android, so there's very little chance I'm using a phone as a place-holder for when I "finally" make the jump to an iPhone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts