SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
build threads; yes another one!

i've owned the caR since start of 2011. its a 2004. I'm the second owner. the wife has driven it as her daily.

these things are rare down under, especially in manual. the guy i bought it from was a enthusiast and suggested only half a dozen made it here.

anyway - I've found it very difficult to let this car go. it's clocked 100k kms (62km miles) and i would, and probably should, move her on. but you know how it is.

i self service. i'm the only one who has worked on her - except some poor work done after an insurance claim. plus the car has had an easy life. i married a woman who can drive shift as well as myself and who has never even so much as guttered a rim. looking around at my mate's family cars, and the true value of this is apparent!

so the radiator began to weep. and i knew i need to give the caR some attention.

somehow i rationalised turning the r into a resto project - that is, i want to restore her to condition as @ delivery from factory. within reason. applying as many mods as i deem tasteful retaining a sleeper/oem appearance. as little rice as possible.

so;

i bought the wife an r36 wagon to cover the downtime and threw the R on the hoist.

sourced replacement radiator
kristian @ snaab helped me out with an fmic

on order;
every suspension bushing i could get my hands on - front and rear
new rotors / pads
new wheel bearings all round
timing belt / water pump / idlers / tensioner
ipd torque mounts
replacement water / vac / ps hoses
various plastic clips / new front bar mounts
front ipd hd control arms / ball joints / tierods

ill try to post up as i proceed.

the greatest problem i now have is appreciating how far behind the caR is on the r36 - in all terms. the r36 is that good.
i'm committed to finding out if the r can bridge some of that gap with a bit of love and a mixture of aftermarket 'stuff'.

enjoy some pics.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
That's a great photo! Love the peek of Atacama!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I feel for ya, I recently had to decide on scrapping the R when I finally blew the motor or a refurb. After careful consideration I realized I couldn't have another car as nice as the R for the cost of the scrap value for the car and the refurb, and so glad I did since she's even better than she was before.

Not sure if you have been on the site enough to see my rebuild thread already, but I have a link in my sig about what was involved since it sure wasn't easy or cheap, lol. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great photo! Love the peek of Atacama!
the Atacama is a beautiful thing. i will be addressing some of the interior as i go along. the driver side bolster has some wear that needs attention. not sure if i can re-color or need to replace the section.

i saw a vid on youtube of a 850T where the guy had re-trimmed in Atacama. its a swede vid. you may have seen it. it looks beautiful. i need to find out where he sourced the material and consider my options.

I feel for ya, I recently had to decide on scrapping the R when I finally blew the motor or a refurb. After careful consideration I realized I couldn't have another car as nice as the R for the cost of the scrap value for the car and the refurb, and so glad I did since she's even better than she was before.

Not sure if you have been on the site enough to see my rebuild thread already, but I have a link in my sig about what was involved since it sure wasn't easy or cheap, lol. ;)
thanks for the reply stealthy. I've been a lurker on the forums for years. your thread and posts have been very helpful. but yeah, throw budgets out the window. if it was a budget consideration i would buy a second r36 and be done with it.

and as far as 'easy' goes, well its not straight forward. i respect that. thanks to work and info posted by members like yourself its that little bit easier however. ill try to take everyone's learnings on board.

so i'm ignoring budget - and on my list of to dos;

considering 4t4 at this point.
considering kw's or the like.
i've already replaced the 4c - a complete waste of time.
i've purchased an evolve remap - almost a complete waste of time. back to factory now.
i fitted an obx cat delete dump. then replaced it with an ipd dump when the kids (3 now) came along - a crisis of conscience.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
the 4t4 is wonderful,i must say

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
apple tv 4 fitted today. works a treat. i'm and android fanboi but this unit is the solution. embracing apple music for what it is although spotify would be my preference.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Awesome!
Another Melbourne-ite.

Watching your thread with interest...

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
apple tv 4 fitted today. works a treat. i'm and android fanboi but this unit is the solution. embracing apple music for what it is although spotify would be my preference.
Whoa, tell us more! This looks awesome!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome!
Another Melbourne-ite.

hey mate - where are you at? i must say i've only every seen 2 other caR's in Melbourne - one wagon, one sedan.

Whoa, tell us more! This looks awesome!
The ATV is patched into the iMiV Classic's AUX. Switch to TV channel 2 on the HU80x and thats all there is to it.
I have a small 240v inverter mounted in the boot to power the ATV - I'll get a pic of the setup for you.
The beauty is the Apple TV 4's bluetooth remote. So no wires or cables, no IR blaster. No reaching to touch the screen (as per retrofits). Easy to operate whilst driving.
The factory Volvo screen is acceptable quality IMHO.

What I don't have is Nav. But Google Maps on my phone is the goto for this anyhow....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
bushes lined up for the weekend. i'm motivated but expect this could be a painful job. front and rear sways land tomorrow.

replacement control arms as some shixxy work done through an insurance claim (someone reversed into the car at speed and the rear right wheel took the full impact). they beat the bent arm back into shape and did a nasty spray job (runs and all) to match the body. i can't stand to look at it so i'm replacing them both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

Another Aussie albeit a few km's north - Sydney 2004 V70R Auto 215,000kms - Big items done (angel gear/Trans), CVVT units replaced, rest is stock
I got mine in 2010 so 6 yrs down the track i'm also in need of some work to be done!! I agree hard to let go.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,

Another Aussie albeit a few km's north - Sydney 2004 V70R Auto 215,000kms - Big items done (angel gear/Trans), CVVT units replaced, rest is stock
I got mine in 2010 so 6 yrs down the track i'm also in need of some work to be done!! I agree hard to let go.

Thanks for stopping by. I note our cars are very rare here. One listed in WA at the moment fo 14k with only 67k on the clock.

Wish I had a V70R so.....in a word i'm envious. Not of the auto or the angle gear issues however!

1 - 20 of 309 Posts