SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've always liked the look of having a single windshield wiper. While I personally think no wipers at all would look good, It is not practical.

Has anyone else thought of doing this or seen a write up by someone who has thought of doing this because it is becoming something I want to experiment with more and more.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Haven't seen anything to our cars, but I've seen some Merc's with this...

Perhaps someone could get a set from a salvage yard and be the first one to do it?

·
Registered
383 Posts
How would that work? Only have a wiper on the driver side?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Haha yes. I tagged this on Instagram. Guy across the pond did it. Take the passenger side wiper and just move it over onto the drivers side or visa versa. Done. Works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
"Across the pond" meaning UK? Right-hand drive cars have a big advantage due to the sweep. Left-hand not so much.

It's quite easy to remove the wiper arms, but you often need a small puller to get them to release. They are alloy and can get pretty well stuck to the steel tapered shaft. There is no keyway, so they can be reinstalled at various angles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
But let's say you do the ding wiper mod, what wiper blade would you have to buy or will one of the OEM ones cover the whole windscreen ?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ofcourse its personal preferences, but I could never understand those "dyi one wiper" mods. Modyfiying single wiper to stand upright in the middle of windshield is possible, but you end up with 40% of windscreen not covered by half-arch of wiper work. Or you can make it not-centered, then you loose all passenger's side.
old Mercs with single wiper have very smart system as wiper is mounted on double pivot - it doesnt do half arch but more a rectangle with tipped corners (imagine wiper arm following the path of letter W [EDIT: YT link] ).
Other single-wipered cars like Lambo have dual wipers on one arm also with double pivot system so it doesnt wipe with 180deg arch but still covers most of windshield.

Anyway, if you end up doing the mod, post up the results, I am curious how it will come up and/or will it be practical enough. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts