SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently bought a 2008 C30 and am looking to modify the exhaust setup at some point. I’d prefer to keep it cheap, so I’m considering these options:

1. Muffler and resonator delete with single exit exhaust
2. Muffler and resonator delete with dual exit exhaust
3. Muffler delete and move the resonator back near the exhaust tip

I previously owned a 2011 BMW 128i with a muffler and resonator delete, and I’ve had pretty good luck with that kind of setup sound wise. I did install an empty muffler (essentially a bulged pipe) so that I would stay within the boundaries of the law.

In the future I plan to install a downpipe as well, that’s why I’m considering keeping the resonator - it might be way too loud for the street otherwise.

So my question is: does anyone have experience with single vs dual exit exhaust, and if so, what are the performance/cost/sound differences? Any change in MPG? And is it worth keeping the resonator? Keep in mind that I’m used to a cat-back straight pipe. Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
there is no performance difference in just replacing a muffler tip
if you remove the downpipe/catalytic converter from stock then you will get a big power difference
dual exhaust tips are generally quieter but that will be mainly due to the type of muffler you have chosen
check on youtube some guy is running a straight pipe with no muffler
sounds Ok but it will always be loud and drone on the highway

I think the mototec exhausts are best
if you want to really be cheap get an OBX from ebay
the elevate exhaust sounds very tin-can but their downpipe with hiflow cat is the best
stop killing trees, kid

keep in mind if you dont know how to weld and cut exhaust hangers or use a sawzall, this job is not for you
just buy a pre made exhaust

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Straight pipe (open exhaust) gets old quick. You will also lose power with the small turbo these have.

Later models like mine (2012) don't have a resonantor, so that could easily be ditched.

I have 3" exhaust from DP to muffler, then a exhaust cutout before the muffler, best of both worlds. I can run it wide open on occasion, and still have it suitable for DD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts