SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 'm suspecting my R's clutch is almost gone & now before it is gone I want to know some feedback about replacing the dual mass flywheel by a single mass one
who has done it already & how did it change your car(better or worse)
did you use a volvo clutch or a race clutch?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the SPEC single mass flywheel or SPEC clutches, but if I was considering a conversion to the single mass flywheel this recent thread would have caused me some concern:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?179455-volvo-s60R-2004-M66-transmision-problems!!!!!

From what I can tell from that thread, both the thread starter and TheApache are currently having shifting problems with their SPEC setups. I know that there are other people running this setup without reporting any problems (Trav8832 and DavenRuth, amongst others if I recall correctly), but I still thought it was a bit strange.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I like my SPEC single mass from viva, no issues and it spools so quickly!!! At idle my R does sound like a diesel tho...

If quiet is your thing you might not like it but if you're after performance then it's a very worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the SPEC single mass flywheel or SPEC clutches, but if I was considering a conversion to the single mass flywheel this recent thread would have caused me some concern:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?179455-volvo-s60R-2004-M66-transmision-problems!!!!!

From what I can tell from that thread, both the thread starter and TheApache are currently having shifting problems with their SPEC setups. I know that there are other people running this setup without reporting any problems (Trav8832 and DavenRuth, amongst others if I recall correctly), but I still thought it was a bit strange.
Any issues related to the flywheel, clutch or slave cylinder will be present in all gears, and not just in gears 1-2 like in that thread. The issue in that thread is most likely an internal gearbox component failure (as reported by the thread starter in his posted on 8/31. The synchro's of the M66 are designed off the M56 synchros, which can fail. I won't be surprised if more M66 synchro failures start appearing as these cars start accumulating more and more mileage. None of the M66 gearbox components are service items by Volvo, FYI.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey Phil, Hope your feeling 100% ! The single mass will spool up quicker, but along with that it will also dive off much faster too. So if you throw it into a corner & get out of the throttle you may very well see the back end come around.

I'm going to be doing my clutch soon. . . . . . .I'm looking at going with a single mass along with the factory clutch. Simply due to the fact that the dual mass 9 outta 10 time's Can't be turned & reused. the thin rubber usually deteriorates, or get's shaving's in between & fail's shortly after reinstall. dual mass is around 900 I believe & the single mass is around 600.

...........Dave

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Any issues related to the flywheel, clutch or slave cylinder will be present in all gears, and not just in gears 1-2 like in that thread. The issue in that thread is most likely an internal gearbox component failure (as reported by the thread starter in his posted on 8/31. The synchro's of the M66 are designed off the M56 synchros, which can fail. I won't be surprised if more M66 synchro failures start appearing as these cars start accumulating more and more mileage. None of the M66 gearbox components are service items by Volvo, FYI.
Thanks George, that's exactly what I was getting at. The lighter SMF is going to be harder on the synchros, thus hastening failures. I agree that it will be interesting to see if more of these types of failures pop up with the aging fleet of M66 transmissions out there accumulating more and more miles.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Thanks George, that's exactly what I was getting at. The lighter SMF is going to be harder on the synchros, thus hastening failures. I agree that it will be interesting to see if more of these types of failures pop up with the aging fleet of M66 transmissions out there accumulating more and more miles.
I wasn't actually alluding to the SM flywheel as the cause of the other thread's gearbox problems.

Volvo's with the M56 were equipped with both SM and DM flywheels, so it's not simply the existence of a single-mass flywheel which will cause synchro failures. Driving style on the manual gearbox has the biggest impact on wearing down the synchros. I've seen M56 synchros fail on 100% stock/factory high mileage vehicles, which were equipped with both dual and single mass flywheels.

The failure of the factory dual-mass flywheels is common for even 100% stock cars. I've posted the procedures to inspect the run-out/play of the factory DM flywheel before. If anyone is interested in seeing it, I can find my post. I highly recommend inspecting the run-out/play of the factory DM flywheel for anyone who performs a clutch replacement. Here's an example of a failed dual-mass flywheel on a 2007 S60R with only 58,000 miles on it: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?166093-Another-Viva-fly-wheel-install-thread

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just did a SMF conversion in my car, I have some sort of rattling or chatter now, usually at low rpm. If the windows are down you can not hear the noise but if the windows are up and AC is on you can tell something is up.
Not sure what the noise is, could be trans internals, however it seems to be the same noise other people have reported. Some did report that their noise went away, I have my fingers crossed now.
06 100k

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a Viva SMF with an OEM clutch. check my sig for other mods i have.
when i first drove the R i always felt the clutch and the engagement had an odd feeling. not what i was used to in other cars, but then every car is different.

Shifting the R gave me a feeling of being dis-connected with the motor. The SMF really brings the feeling back. Sure, the motor spins up and down quicker and there is less engine braking but FOR ME, after 3 months with the SMF, that's not what makes this mod shine.

the drawback is the noise. MountainR summed it up pretty good. My car sounds like a diesel at idle with the clutch out. bogging any gear makes a bit of noise too. From what i understand the noise is from the tranny - the individual cylinder pulses are transmitted to the tranny gears. there's less weight and no rubber to round the pulses out. But the noise is not bad at all... not for me anyway. it simply reminds me that i have a Volvo that is rather unique. I mean, everybody does exhaust mods...how many cars our there do you hear with turbos that whine and gearboxes that chatter? :D

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
the drawback is the noise. MountainR summed it up pretty good. My car sounds like a diesel at idle with the clutch out. bogging any gear makes a bit of noise too. From what i understand the noise is from the tranny - the individual cylinder pulses are transmitted to the tranny gears. there's less weight and no rubber to round the pulses out. But the noise is not bad at all... not for me anyway. it simply reminds me that i have a Volvo that is rather unique. I mean, everybody does exhaust mods...how many cars our there do you hear with turbos that whine and gearboxes that chatter? :D
That's got to affect the longevity of the transmission, right?

And anyone have a video or recording of what the chatter sounds like?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm talking outta my ass here, but single mass flywheels have been around for a long time. I think we have other things to worry about than this, such as the synchros that George mentions. And like he said, it has little if nothing to do with the clutch.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh, somebody on here mentioned that the dual mass was for comfort and noise reduction only. Now that i have a SM, i have to agree.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I doubt it, the gears see way more load at WOT when the boost hits...

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts

And anyone have a video or recording of what the chatter sounds like?
The sounds are just because it's not muffling the sound of the engine nearly as well as the DMF did. A LOT of cars have SMF options, and every single one of them will complain about the noise. But, the engagements and more constant feeling shifting are soo worth it.

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
I dont have experience with the SMF in the volvo but I had it in my e36. It made that car easier to rev and more responsive. If I was going to be doing the clutch on the R I would certainly entertain the option and probably go the SMF route. The flywheel chatter in neutral and very low rpms really wasnt that bad for me and I didnt mind it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Maybe relevant

I have not change flywheel (or clutch) on the Volvo but did it recently on my M5. With a single mass flywheel you gain four things:

1. You have one less component that can break (the dual mass mechanism - springs and all)
2. If need be you can resurface the flywheel later. Yes, some guys will tell you they find a shop that can resurface a dual mass flywheel, but it's very, very hard.
3. Generally you get a more precise take-up point.
4. For the same performance grade, it's cheaper than a dual mass setup.

Nothing in life is free, so you pay:

1. You will have gear lash in neutral and clutch out. Depending on the weight and design of the flywheel it is a lot or a little. Some sounds terrible, some are close to stock. But there will be gear lash.
2. There will be chatter, especially in the beginning (1,000+ miles) and it is worse the more aggressive you go on the friction material.

That's about it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I dont have experience with the SMF in the volvo but I had it in my e36. It made that car easier to rev and more responsive. If I was going to be doing the clutch on the R I would certainly entertain the option and probably go the SMF route. The flywheel chatter in neutral and very low rpms really wasnt that bad for me and I didnt mind it.
Just as an FYI. easier to rev and more responsive has nothing to do with single or dual mass, it's all about the weight of the flywheel. And the distribution of the weight. With the same rotational mass, a single and dual mass flywheel will rev just as eagerly. Most single mass setups are light weight, hence they rev easier. Note that a lighter flywheel makes the chatter and gear lash worse as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm looking to replace the clutch and go with a SM flywheel soon, but want opinions on Stage 2+ vs. Stage 3+. I won't be even close to the torque rating of the Stage 2+, so I'm wondering how smooth the engagement & pedal effort for each is (vs. stock) and/or if the cost of Stage 3+ is worth the extra $$$. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
Just as an FYI. easier to rev and more responsive has nothing to do with single or dual mass, it's all about the weight of the flywheel. And the distribution of the weight. With the same rotational mass, a single and dual mass flywheel will rev just as eagerly. Most single mass setups are light weight, hence they rev easier. Note that a lighter flywheel makes the chatter and gear lash worse as well.
I just assumed that the single mass would weight less then the duel mass. If it wasnt then I dont really see the point of the switch...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 24 Posts