SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all S60 owners in Singapore. This chat room is for you to discuss and exchange ideas and concerns about your S60s bought here in Singapore.

Haven't you all been rather disappointed with your OMVs? Especially those that collected your cars before CNY. The difference in the OMVs from December (cas registered with LTA for demonstration/test-drive puposes) have S$3-4000 more in their OMVs. I was told that the exchange rates had an effect on this by the sales staff. Don't believe that and instead suspect that the cars come without some parts and/or accessories that came with the demonstration cars.

Any comments?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not sure about the exchange rate portion but I do know that the split trunk (to hold groceries, etc. was not in my car. I don't think this amount to $3,000.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know what additional items the test drive car had but from the specs that I read in Nov/Dec, the brochure seemed to not have changed.

The test drive car I drove had whatever was specified.

Please let me know what is different so that I can insist on that item being given before I take possession of the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know what additional items the test drive car had but from the specs that I read in Nov/Dec, the brochure seemed to not have changed.

The test drive car I drove had whatever was specified.

Please let me know what is different so that I can insist on that item being given before I take possession of the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, like MakWok said, the only thing that seems to be different that can be seen is the grocery bag holders in the boot. However, I understand they only cost $300 as an added option. What I am more concerned about is within the car and thus unnoticeable from the outside. I am still trying to figure out what the differences might be. The problem is if you go by the brochure (the one page colour sheet), it tells you very little. I have been told that several people have made complains to SM, especially since they had a comparison chart in the showroom showing the S60 T5's OMV to be $49,000, which was way above the competition. You will notice that that has been removed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe for Singapore market the specs might be different. But you might be right that the OMV could be base on a loaded S60 T5. From what I gather in the US, STC is standard on the T5, ours does'nt have any. In one of the auto magazines in Singapore (Motoring I think) the Singapore market was suppose to have GearTronic for the T5 as standard. Anyway we can't really complain as the brochures are quite specific about the specs that we are getting for our S60 in Singapore. Specs. do change. Anyway I'm really happy with my T5, haven't had this much fun and pleasure driving with any other cars that I have owned before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is it true, makwok2000? Why is it so that the STC is not on the T5! You should actually ask for it. I am currently driving the Passat. Though it's not a fast car. But I can have the wheel spinning on the wet road very dangerous when not careful, not to mention T5. By the way I've test drive the T5 very tempting car indeed. But wondering why there is a strong vibration sound from the car. The sales person told me that it comes from the exhaust. How true is that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did ask about it, but the salesman say that it is not standard in Singapore, I thought being volvo they ought to put STC as a safety feature in all their cars. About your vibration sound, my car is actually quite silent, no vibration sound. So far I have no major complaints about car, what about others any major fault?

[This message has been edited by makwok2000 (edited 01-29-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No complaints on my car. In fact, I found it extremely silent for a high-pressure turbo. The only vibration I feel is on the steering wheel when the car is coming to a complete halt.

I have a funny feeling that the STC was originally intended as a standard item and that is why the demo cars registered in Dec had a 3-4K higher OMV.

I think we should be asking more questions. MakWok, what's your OMV by the way?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dear Cardinal,

Not to spoil the party but I think we go in buying the car with our eyes open.

STC is not really necessary unless we are foolish enough to drive like mad on wet slippery/snowy surfaces. I will send you a letter I received from a Volvo agent.

If we continue to gripe over the OMV(which we should have done before purchasing the car)we will be sadly disappointed. I hope to just enjoy the drive and put this behind me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dear Cardinal,

Not to spoil the party but I think we go in buying the car with our eyes open.

STC is not really necessary unless we are foolish enough to drive like mad on wet slippery/snowy surfaces. I will send you a letter I received from a Volvo agent.

If we continue to gripe over the OMV(which we should have done before purchasing the car)we will be sadly disappointed. I hope to just enjoy the drive and put this behind me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with Damyeu, I bought the car base on the specs given and I have to give credit to my salesman, he didn't try to hide anything. He knows I have enough info. about the car even before I go for the test drive. Don't forget they did throw in the integrated GSM phone, not sure what that cost, I think it's about $2k. I'm having fun with the car right now and wouldn't change it with any other..well maybe for a Porsche. As for STC it would be good for an idiot who drive like the devil in wet conditions...I might be that idiot...

[This message has been edited by makwok2000 (edited 01-30-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will be collecting the car next week. Booked it during the launch in Dec, or was it Nov? Thought I got a good deal but now it cost $10k less.....painful!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dear Speed280,

I will also be collecting my car next week. However, I just ordered my car 2 weeks ago.

By the way, take heart, don't ever compare prices. The change in price is something beyond control. I was initially tempted to wait to buy the car 2nd hand. However, the price drop made me plonk down for a new one. The way the market is going, the price will probably be lower after this month's COE.

Don't look back. Just enjoy the drive. By the way, does your car come with STC which is supposed to be standard on the T-5?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
Speed280 n Makwok2000, how much did you pay for the car?
Makwok2000, I have to agree wif wat u say. Damyeu tis is for u, juz some comments:
In local during peak hours overtaking(lane change) is a must in order to be early to the destination. Remember you have abt 250 horses on your right foot any excess pressure apply to the pedal will cause your tyre to spin. I had a couple of frightening but now numb experiences. Once at the left filter lane from MSquare joining ECP toward Changi oncoming cars from beach rd are always fast. So to be fast I moved with speed n wheels starts spinning. Sadly have to react to the situtaion.
Take Care!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I paid S$183K (in dec.2000). Anyway about your (VW Passat?) wheels spinning while trying to speed up during (I assume) heavy rain or very wet conditions. Well, I have been doing this a number of time with the T5 and have not had the same experience. The T5 seems to handle the very wet conditions very well. Just when across the causeway recently and the experience is pure joy...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dear Wisher,

Thanks for the advice. You must have really stepped on the accelerator to have caused wheel spin. I took the S60 out from the showroom on a rainy day, and even on fast acceleration, there was no screeching or control loss in the tyres.

Are you a rally car driver by the way?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No, of course I'm not a rally driver. But trust me it really happened. Maybe or it is that I've accelerate too much. Anyway nice to hear that the T5 doesn't have this wierd problem. Enjoy the T5.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts