SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was very close to getting a second XC90 on the weekend - a 2008 V8 sport model.:mad:

Couldn't quite justify the price this month. Lease on the 2.5T XC90 runs out in two months - maybe then.

Anyone else out there want to sympathise or rub it in?

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
No Corvette, no midlife crisis. You're going to be fine!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Volvo is not a midlife crisis car. A Volvo Sport is a small nod in the direction of mid life. A Porsche Cayenne GTS is a mid life crisis car. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Volvo is not a midlife crisis car. A Volvo Sport is a small nod in the direction of mid life. A Porsche Cayman Sis a mid life crisis car. Ask me how I know.
Fixed it for ya even though I red Pano when it came out and know the lap times the Pepper GTS can do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
@ pengc99, og this is your midlife crisis we will both die young.. 31 here, had the car since I was 29 :)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
A Volvo is not a midlife crisis car. A Lamborghini Reventón would be a midlife crisis car.

I'm 26 and I have an XC90 V8 because it fits in a unique place in the market segment.
@ pengc99, og this is your midlife crisis we will both die young.. 31 here, had the car since I was 29 :)
You two need to turn in your man card. I am, and always was a scrawny pencil necked geek. When I was 26 there was a restored by me 68 firebird convertible in the garage next to a new first gen RX7 (stolen with 30,200 miles when it was 5 1/2 years old) . I was living in the city while the cars were at my folks house. the lady down the block had a volvo. she may still have that old tank.

A station wagon for a mid life crisis. Good gravy man get a grip on yourself.

for my first mid life crisis at 29 i replaced the stolen rx with a new rx7 convertible. a few years later i wanted a sport coupe so i treated myself to my elderly neighbors milano red legend coupe with 10,165 miles on it when the four year lease ran out. that stayed outside while the two convertibles shared the garage. that may be mid life crisis #2. a few years later i gave her the legend coupe (green - the red one was stolen with 34,575 +- 5 miles) and bought myself a 944S2 to take to the train. She who must be obeyed said that was a mid life crisis until it was stolen thee spots from where the legend was stolen, and I went though five more porsches. she quit counting the mid life crisis cars after a dozen toys passed through the garage.

did i really spell read as red? shame on me.

I just read this to the boss. she said if you must have a volvo and a mid life crisis at least get the C70. glad she is more of a car guy than ...

a station wagon for a mid life crisis? i think i need a fresh depends. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
There will be a midlife crisis eventually...but right now it's kids & SUV :) i'm aiming for something with two doors and no roof by the time i hit 40 :p

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'll tell you about a mid-life crisis... I realize that wringing every last mile out of my '04 would be nice but a 911 convertible would be better. THAT is a mid-life crisis.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You two need to turn in your man card. I am, and always was a scrawny pencil necked geek. When I was 26 there was a restored by me 68 firebird convertible in the garage next to a new first gen RX7 (stolen with 30,200 miles when it was 5 1/2 years old) . I was living in the city while the cars were at my folks house. the lady down the block had a volvo. she may still have that old tank.

A station wagon for a mid life crisis. Good gravy man get a grip on yourself.

for my first mid life crisis at 29 i replaced the stolen rx with a new rx7 convertible. a few years later i wanted a sport coupe so i treated myself to my elderly neighbors milano red legend coupe with 10,165 miles on it when the four year lease ran out. that stayed outside while the two convertibles shared the garage. that may be mid life crisis #2. a few years later i gave her the legend coupe (green - the red one was stolen with 34,575 +- 5 miles) and bought myself a 944S2 to take to the train. She who must be obeyed said that was a mid life crisis until it was stolen thee spots from where the legend was stolen, and I went though five more porsches. she quit counting the mid life crisis cars after a dozen toys passed through the garage.

did i really spell read as red? shame on me.

I just read this to the boss. she said if you must have a volvo and a mid life crisis at least get the C70. glad she is more of a car guy than ...

a station wagon for a mid life crisis? i think i need a fresh depends. ;)
:p

I'm a car nut. I will always be a car nut. When I was looking at a near luxury mid-size SUV, it was down to the:

XC90 V8
Porsche Cayenne S
BMW X5 4.4
VW Touraeg V10 TDI
Audi Q7

The Audi/VW/Porsche were all the same car, and truth be told I was only interested in the v10 TDI but it has an astronomical resale value along with mind-boggling repair and maintenance costs (The Q7 is $300 an oil change!)

The BMW X5 wasn't available in my preferred trim with the 5/6 speed manual and the 4.4/4.8L V8

Turns out a local dealership had a XC90 V8 at a GREAT price and we jumped on that instead.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The vehicle I was most disappointed in was the Porsche Cayenne GTS. I only had it for 7 months/9200 miles. The build quality was just not great. The electronics were a total nightmare. My favorite was my 13 year old and I were using the GPS on the West Side Highway in NYC to get to an obscure address in the west Village. All was fine for the first 10 minutes of the trip and then the display went blank/black. System reboot into.....GERMAN! Correct location but all instructions in German and now no more miles - kilometers. Eventually the CEL and a dead engine doomed this vehicle. I made Porsche buy it back but I will not be buying a Porsche anytime soon. In addition the headliner on the vehicle was much more flimsy than in the Volvo! I was surprised too.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
:p

I'm a car nut. I will always be a car nut. When I was looking at a near luxury mid-size SUV, it was down to the:
Turns out a local dealership had a XC90 V8 at a GREAT price and we jumped on that instead.
you didnt say anywhere that you were looking at a SUV as a mid life crisis car. The OP did.
The vehicle I was most disappointed in was the Porsche Cayenne GTS. I only had it for 7 months/9200 miles. The build quality was just not great. The electronics were a total nightmare. My favorite was my 13 year old and I were using the GPS on the West Side Highway in NYC to get to an obscure address in the west Village. All was fine for the first 10 minutes of the trip and then the display went blank/black. System reboot into.....GERMAN! Correct location but all instructions in German and now no more miles - kilometers. Eventually the CEL and a dead engine doomed this vehicle. I made Porsche buy it back but I will not be buying a Porsche anytime soon. In addition the headliner on the vehicle was much more flimsy than in the Volvo! I was surprised too.
i lived in the west village for ten years. you should have called me and I would have pointed in the right (maybe) direction. ;)

Be glad your cayenne didnt have the sonar oil level monitor. A dipstick is too simple, and a beam across the oil pan is too primative. Porsche needs sonar!! go figya!

·
Registered
473 Posts
The best part of the story is when I drove it into the dealer for the German woman in my dash conundrum, I got it back 3 days later (and a couple of other problems fixed) with the classic "Unable to duplicate customer complaint". Guess what? Still in German and kilometers! Not kidding. Also loved getting the vehicle back with a new station on the radio which was some heavy metal station.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts