SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

What are you using on your side trim molding and dash pads? I have been told directly from Volvo NOT to use Armor all, and the dealer told me to use baby oil on the trim. What is the best set up?

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Side molding and dash pad care? (CM2RAS)

Dash: non-leather parts, Vinylex.

Leather part: lexol.

Exterior side trim: clean with Griot's Garage trim cleaner (forget what it is, removes wax, etc.) or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (really) and then use Griot's garage bumper and trim re-conditioner (it's a dye) or paint them with bumper paint.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Back-to-Black on the exterior moldings and Vinylex on the dash pad portion that is not leather. Can't go wrong IMHO!

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: Side molding and dash pad care? (bb vign)

Quote, originally posted by bb vign »
Back-to-Black on the exterior moldings and Vinylex on the dash pad portion that is not leather. Can't go wrong IMHO!

NEVER use Back to Black, it's JUNK
The BEST black product out there is FOREVER BLACK However,
do yourself a favor, mask the side trim off, prep and paint it with bumper paint that you can buy at any auto store.

It will be new again and last for years! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Side molding and dash pad care? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

NEVER use Back to Black, it's JUNK
The BEST black product out there is FOREVER BLACK However,
do yourself a favor, mask the side trim off, prep and paint it with bumper paint that you can buy at any auto store.

It will be new again and last for years! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

So no one has ever heard of this baby oil idea the dealer told me about? They said since it is a petrolium base product the plastic will like it. Is this guy smoking crack?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Side molding and dash pad care? (Arbelac)

Quote, originally posted by Arbelac »
Question: 6:1 woolite & lexol for cleaning/treating Atacama? There was some discussion previously about it being different than the Nordkap and Gobi leathers.

Worked well for me. It wasn't "amazing" like many have hyped it to be, but then again, my atacama is in great shape to begin with.
I could definately see dirt on my terry towel after cleaning with woolite, but it was only slightly greyish. I used 1/5th of the bottle of solution when I cleaned the front, back and door trim (with shift knob, steering wheel, and center console). the 1:6 ratio was a good mix and made my car smell great!

For God's sake, go and buy a new spray bottle with hatch marks for 3 buckaroos. Do not just empty out a spray bottle that holds harsh cleaning agents and re use it. I would not want traces of ammonia to come anywhere near my atacama. Now I have a bottle of great smelling solution that works better than febreze.

This is what I did with great results:

Step 1. Spray white terry towel with 1:6 solution
Step 2. Wipe leather with damp towel with very slight pressure (don't forget the seams and stitching)
Step 3. Wait a few seconds
Step 4. use another white terry towel to wipe off woolite solution before it drys.
Step 5. Buff your leather dry with very slight pressure
Step 6. Repeat 1-5 with Lexol CONDITIONER and two new towels (I used microfiber for this step).
Step 7. Leave car overnight.

Modified by SHOlover at 9:02 PM 4-1-2009

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Forever Black on the moldings and a bit of Lexol on a cloth for the dash.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: Side molding and dash pad care? (MagoonR)

I second, or third, or whatever the Vinylex for the non-leather parts.

I also use it to detail my engine. It works really well on all the plastic parts and hoses and lasts a really long time to repel dust and dirt. I find it works best if the engine is just a little warm, maybe it helps the plastic soak up all the Vinylex goodness.

I use Lexol on all the leather surfaces too.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Side molding and dash pad care? (5sqrlfury)

Quote, originally posted by 5sqrlfury »
I second, or third, or whatever the Vinylex for the non-leather parts.

I also use it to detail my engine. It works really well on all the plastic parts and hoses and lasts a really long time to repel dust and dirt. I find it works best if the engine is just a little warm, maybe it helps the plastic soak up all the Vinylex goodness.

I use Lexol on all the leather surfaces too.

Okay I give, can I get these wonders of nature at like Kragen or do I need to go to the dealer or something?

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CM2RAS »

Okay I give, can I get these wonders of nature at like Kragen or do I need to go to the dealer or something?

Plenty of places online, but Lexol and Vinylex are carried at most normal parts joints.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.