SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I test drove a V90 this evening and my wife felt the side mirrors were very large and obtrusive to the point she felt as though she had to look around them. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Perhaps playing with the seat position would help?

Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I remember thinking the exact same thing on my first test drive and worrying about it ... yet this is the first time I have thought about it again since ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
limited outward visibility was the first thing I noticed in the V90. The sills are high, the a pillars are thick, dash/hood are deep and the mirrors are mounted pretty close to the driver. Elevating the seat helps a bit, but mostly I got used to it with time.

since my true love is trucks and 4x4s I find most regular cars have comically small mirrors. V90's are a nice inbetween size.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes the mirrors are huge and block a lot of vision. I also find the hood seems high, wide, and long. But I quickly got use to it like the other posters, even though the V90CC is not my constant driver. When I was doing my test drives I was so impressed with the style and comfort that I also failed to notice it's a LARGE vehicle (and I traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee).

·
Registered
212 Posts
echoing the other comments...yes - i, too, noticed that the driver side mirror sometimes hinders visibility - especially when turning toward the left...(i am 6 feet tall so my visibility is high, too)...it was one of the first things i noticed when i drove it...

i also bought my ocean race sight unseen...being rare, the only v90CCs i saw were maple brown and i didn't drive them...the maple brown ones didn't strike me as large...once i took delivery on my white ocean race, i realized how really large it is...i also think white accentuates the size...takes some getting used to...especially with parking and pulling into spaces...

as mentioned the hood is also long and sloping so need to adjust/learn when to stop...which btw - can be a pain with the darn stop/start feature...pulling into my garage or tight space and inches to stop, it sometimes shuts off...a pain...

all in all, tho, you get used to it...

·
Registered
549 Posts
as mentioned the hood is also long and sloping so need to adjust/learn when to stop...which btw - can be a pain with the darn stop/start feature...pulling into my garage or tight space and inches to stop, it sometimes shuts off...a pain...
When parking, or to momentarily defeat the auto start/stop you can switch it to manual drive (push transmission lever to the left), a little trick I recently learned.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I haven't noticed the rear view mirrors to be particularly large, I'm not a very tall person but they've never bothered me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
it's the side mirrors...

re: manual drive...thank you for that tip!

R
sorry, my spanish kicked in. I still meant the side mirrors, noticed I used plural and they allow you to see the rear...the sides but still the rear 😁

·
Registered
279 Posts
Before I got rid on my V90CC, it was always a balance between a seat height that was too low - and thus the thick A-pillar/mirror mass blocked too much view - or too high - such that the rearview mirror was now weirdly in the way when I approached an intersection on a downhill (common where I am). I never did find the perfect seat height TBH.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Min.size of the rear view mirror is dictated by ECE Regulation 46. This regarding rear visibility and pedestrian safety.
Just look at early BMW E90 and then at later model. Later received new rear view mirrors that are much bigger and flatter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
My wife has also complained about the CC's mirrors; my R-Design's are smaller however. It's a miss on Volvo's part; they should be lower and closer to the window front lower corner, if not integrated, rather than right in your face.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My wife has also complained about the CC's mirrors; my R-Design's are smaller however. It's a miss on Volvo's part; they should be lower and closer to the window front lower corner, if not integrated, rather than right in your face.
+1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts