SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car recently had a case of the mirror-falling-out ailment on the right side. There had been no warning, no shaking, one day I just had to conclude that it was no longer there. Must have lost it on the highway I guess.

So, I ordered new glass and yesterday I mounted it, works a treat. But it came with two bent plastic tabs you can click into the mirror, which then slide into the housing. The adjustment mechanism holds the mirror firmly (well, until it falls out obviously), the tabs don't actually seem very useful at all. I was having great difficulty mounting the mirror with the tabs, so I just left them out.

Did I make a big no-no? What are the tabs for? Doesn't seem like the mirror suffers any ill effects from not using them. They're not necessary for stability and they can literally only slide in and out. They pivot on the glass so can't be a supporting member of the mechanism. Are they simply there to annoy us? Does this do something if you fold back the mirror? Don't see why it should but I'm out of other ideas :p

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
The tabs help hold the mirror still, and let them move squarely when adjusting. They just sort of reach out and slide along the inside of the housing. It's probably ok to leave them off, but I'm curious why they were a pain when installing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was alone, so I was balancing full left adjustment/full right adjustment to be able to reach behind the mechanism and click it in place, and it not falling off again the whole time. The holes for the tabs were a bit damaged so they wouldn't slide in (and then move) smoothly. Rather quickly decided they seemed pointless so I didn't spend too much time trying to use them :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts