SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has already come up. But just purchased two side marker lights to replace the factory emblems. Does anyone know what years, if any, they came pre-wired?

If not, where can I find just the wiring harness for this? I want to wire them in to act as turn signals as well.

Thanks fellas, sorry for the multitude of posts, I find this site extremely helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: Side marker install...are they pre-wired? (Ski Brick)

I did this to our 850R and have yet to get the article up on it. Sorry. http://********************/smile/emsad.gif

Anyway, you can get the harness with factory connectors from IPD along with very good directions on wiring to the turnsignals or the parking lights. I opted for the turnsignals only (European setup). The Japanese tend to do them as parking lights. Some people wire them both ways.

Anyway, I'd wait and check to see if your car is wired. As I recall, some of the 850s were wired, though oddly my '97 R was not.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Side marker install...are they pre-wired? ([email protected])

Mine was, if I remember correct 93-96 were prewired?

mine was a 95.

I didn't get the IPD ones, they were too expensive, I cheaped out on a pair on ebay for $16. It works and looks fine. The base of it was a bit bigger than the original hole so I had to make the hole slightly bigger and it was a very tight fit. It won't fall out, but I put on some double sided emblem adhesive on it anyway and even with the car wash jet pointing at it it won't fall off.

[Modified by xtremepsionic, 12:12 PM 11-20-2002]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Side marker install...are they pre-wired? (xtremepsionic)

Well, darn the bad luck anyway. I would hope that a 97 would have the prewire installed, but I guess I won't know until I pop off the emblems.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

It's an easy install with some 18ga. wire and a few connectors. Just run two wires from either side of the bulb in the sidemarker and splice into the two sides of the turn signal/parking light. That way when the parking lights are on, the sidemarker will be lit, and when you flip the turn signals on, the sidemarker will start blinking. I installed them differently on my 240 by running one wire to the turn signal and one to a ground connection. That way they only come on with the turn signals, but not with the parking lights. I should have done it the first way that I described.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Side marker install...are they pre-wired? (towerymt)

Is there a site that has instructions on this...I just got mine today. Not sure if they are pre wired, could not tell from looking into the opening between the door and body...with my technical abilities, it's going to be a task. However, I want them BOTH ways, as side markers and blinkers.

·
Registered
625 Posts

its easy man
rip off the volvo logo, if its prewired, the plug will be attached to the back of the logo.

If it is, well you know what to do.

If it isn't, go splice the turn signals and test which wires will work the way you want it to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Side marker install...are they pre-wired? (Slarti)

My 95 was not prewired. I did the wiring myself and sliced into the turn signal line rather than the parking line.
I got the markers and hanness from Borton Volvo about 6 years ago. Back then, side marker was not that popular and the price was fairly cheap when comparing to now. IPD price was way to higher than what I paid for.

Ching-Ho Cheng

·
Registered
78 Posts

Just did this on our 95 855. Took about an hour. The 95 was not pre-wired, so I had to run the wires up to the turn signal. I ordered the IPD markers, and they came with enough wire attached to do this. The drivers side was a cake walk. The passengers is a little trickier due to the extra stuff on that side of the engine bay. Having a straightened coat hanger available is recommended.

I wired them to go on with the parking lights, and then blink with the turn signal. The more visibility for my wife and son, the better.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Re: Side marker install...are they pre-wired? (Volvis)

grass is greener on ur neighbor's lawn...or in this case...across the pond

same thing with "euro" clear corners selling here in the u.s. and orange "american" clear corners selling in europe and japan hehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts