SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This actually happened in January but I thought I should ask before I do repairs on my car in the next couple weeks. In January I was driving getting on to the NJ turnpike and accelerated hard because lanes were merging. I probably accelerated up to 70-75 when a car cut me off and I slammed on the brakes. Initial bite was good but then it almost felt as if the brakes gave out for a second and the car felt like it jolted to the right. It scared the living hell out of me. Stopped at the next rest stop no fluid leaking, brake fluid filled to the max mark, pads still have good life on them and the rotors showed no signs of scoring.

Is this what people refer to as side hop or do I have a potential brake problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
You wanna experience side hop due to bad control arm bushings....come for a ride in my car....The feeling is indescribable.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think you've experienced side hop. In what condition are your control arm bushings in?. It may also be due to a sticky caliper piston?
Control arm bushings are in good shape. Checked them a couple weeks before my trip. Is there anyway of testing for a sticking caliper piston?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also alignment specs are good but I started to notice a while ago that my car slightly pulls to the right well just cruising, it is not my awd because it is working, I test it regularly. Could a sticky caliper piston cause the car to have a tendency to pull to one side?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Also alignment specs are good but I started to notice a while ago that my car slightly pulls to the right well just cruising, it is not my awd because it is working, I test it regularly. Could a sticky caliper piston cause the car to have a tendency to pull to one side?
Yes, imagine it as if one brake caliper is always slight grabbing.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Had similar problem with my CA bushings. Car would always pull to the side while braking. I could see the steering wheel turning slightly if I let it go.
Had to replace both calipers as well. It's easy to spot seized caliper too, you can't move the piston at all. Usually you can push them without difficulty with your fingers.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
And how the **** did that happen? Miles on the car? Tell me the fluid has never been changed lol

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so when I take off my caliper to test for a seized piston I can just press on them to see if they move and if they do then they are good?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
so when I take off my caliper to test for a seized piston I can just press on them to see if they move and if they do then they are good?
Pretty much. I was able to push all of the pistons in by hand, it's difficult but possible.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That's just bad luck. Seriously. How much for a rebuild?
Brembo does not recommend rebuild. I had to get new ones from Tasca. But if you are handy you can get a rebuilt kit from VIVA. I also bought a good used caliper for the left front just in case it goes.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Brembo does not recommend rebuild. I had to get new ones from Tasca. But if you are handy you can get a rebuilt kit from VIVA. I also bought a good used caliper for the left front just in case it goes.
Well, if the rebuild kit is cheap, and a used caliper is $200+++ then it's probably worth it just to attempt a rebuild first. How much was a new one..?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think my right front caliper is sticking too. My braking woes started only a couple of days after reading this post. New calipers are $420.76 from Tasca. I know Viva sells the rebuild kit for ~$50 per caliper but is there an alternate source for the rebuild kit?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Rebuilding is not a big deal.
Get the pistons out by use of hydraulic pump or get the caliper off the disc and while it is hanging of your brake line simply apply the brake...
You'll need to polish the **** off the pistons and install new seals. If the pistons are very bad, you can get new ones from Geroge @ viva.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm also experiencing a hard pull to the left when I brake and accompanied by a shudder if I brake at highway speeds. When the car is in park with the motor off and front wheels in the air, I can turn the rotors by hand with just a little resistance. The only thing I see that might be a problem is that when I apply the breaks, and then let off, the pistons don't retract on their own. I have to re-compress them with a clamp to get them back in. Is this normal? How do you guys differentiate between a caliper vs. a brake hose issue?

Any help is much appreciated as it might save me some $$$

1 - 19 of 19 Posts