SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don't think it would work very well. The pipe would probably be almost scraping the ground and then you have a rear bumper with a open cutout with no tips. Would be interesting though.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I don't think it would work very well. The pipe would probably be almost scraping the ground and then you have a rear bumper with a open cutout with no tips. Would be interesting though.
I know I would scrape like crazy. I do with the exhaust in the RIGHT place...The side exit would probably be extremely loud.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
With the way the underbody is designed, it's really just not a good idea... Even if you used some sort of rectangle piping that was very thin and wide, it would still make all those wires and brake lines very hot, which is no good.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
With the way the underbody is designed, it's really just not a good idea... Even if you used some sort of rectangle piping that was very thin and wide, it would still make all those wires and brake lines very hot, which is no good.
Why is heat and fuel lines a bad idea?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
As cool as a side exhaust setup would be [I've even toyed with the idea], for the above reasons it would not work well. The underbody just has too much going on for it to work. Also, you'd have to chop up your side skirts or side trim for it to have proper ground clearance. So, in short, it would be a very expensive, loud, and destructive exhaust that could potentially blow you up :D

However, people have done crazier stuff to their Volvos with success. Talk to a body/exhaust shop and poke their brains. Maybe buy them a case of beer so they take you seriously :D

The rear bumper hole is no problem though if you have the sport kit. Simply cut out the other side to match and install the diamond mesh wire there. That could actually look really good!

Someone do a PS mockup now!

·
Registered
588 Posts
As cool as a side exhaust setup would be [I've even toyed with the idea], for the above reasons it would not work well. The underbody just has too much going on for it to work. Also, you'd have to chop up your side skirts or side trim for it to have proper ground clearance. So, in short, it would be a very expensive, loud, and destructive exhaust that could potentially blow you up :D

However, people have done crazier stuff to their Volvos with success. Talk to a body/exhaust shop and poke their brains. Maybe buy them a case of beer so they take you seriously :D

The rear bumper hole is no problem though if you have the sport kit. Simply cut out the other side to match and install the diamond mesh wire there. That could actually look really good!

Someone do a PS mockup now!
Maybe I'll try this later.

I actually had an idea the other day to see how an M3 style muffler looked on the back between the sport kit...

Imagine this:

With this between the two sides:

Debating if CSL diffuser or just straight cutouts would look better:

Think the muffler would fit?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That specific muffler would not fit, best I can tell. However, if you have your resonator and muffler in the drive tunnel then you could simply have the pipe split and have those tips there no problem.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yeah! Something like this would be great:
ewww...that's worse than the 350z that runs around Herndon with a FMIC mounted up front but no hoses attached on either side lolz

Back on topic though, if you put the side exhaust anywhere on an R, it needs to be just in front of the rear wheel well under the passenger door...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It's just a bad idea. Simple as that.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
i like the center idea...ALOT

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Maybe I'll try this later.

I actually had an idea the other day to see how an M3 style muffler looked on the back between the sport kit...

Think the muffler would fit?

No, if you look under the rear bumper, the spare wheel well is in the way. You can't and won't be able to fit anything under there (even pipes or tips) unless you remove the spare wheel well and relocate the battery. Oh and it's made of Boron steel, so you can't simply pound it in.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
No, if you look under the rear bumper, the spare wheel well is in the way. You can't and won't be able to fit anything under there (even pipes or tips) unless you remove the spare wheel well and relocate the battery. Oh and it's made of Boron steel, so you can't simply pound it in.
Pshhh, maybe YOU can't pound it in....I work out, I can probably do it.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Pshhh, maybe YOU can't pound it in....I work out, I can probably do it.
lol sure if you feel you can, go ahead, just try not to bash anything else in the process with that 20lb. sledgehammer. Btw, we're talking about a Volvo boron strengthened with safety in mind chassis here... ;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Der...I forgot that the M didn't have a spare because of that exhaust. I wasn't necessarily meaning a stock M exhaust, just the layout. I always liked the centered exhaust pipes.

Non-stock exhaust mufflers are far smaller, but still...

I bet it would look really cool though. I might try to shop it tonight just to see.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Der...I forgot that the M didn't have a spare because of that exhaust. I wasn't necessarily meaning a stock M exhaust, just the layout. I always liked the centered exhaust pipes.

Non-stock exhaust mufflers are far smaller, but still...

I bet it would look really cool though. I might try to shop it tonight just to see.

Before trying to pshop it, you need to look under the rear bumper. No point in photoshopping something that's not possible to do. I just recently put in a custom exhaust with custom exhaust tips, so I know what those challenges are.

·
Registered
429 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts