SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am the happy owner of a 2021 XC90 R in Thunder Gray color. I would like to make some changes and I would like to have some pics of a car that has one or more of the modifications that I want to do:
  • Heico Sportiv Selected Level
  • Heico Sportiv Black Wheel spacers
  • Light smoke tail light wrap
  • Black wrapped VOLVO letters (tailgate)
  • Side Body Kit (part of the package Urban Luxury kit, but I don't want the other parts of the kit)

Regarding the Side Body kit I contacted the Volvo Belgium dealer and I am waiting for an answer. But I have looked everywhere on the internet and it seems that the Urban Luxury kit (and the Side Body kit) doesn't exist anymore in Europe. Does anyone knows why Volvo has discontinued this option?

As soon as it arrived to the dealer he sent me this picture :)

Thanks,
Joaquim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I already received the reply from Volvo. The Side Body kit it is just available for models between 2016 and 2019. :(

Does anyone have a clue about what might be the reason for this kit not fitting to my model (2021)? Is there any difference between 2019 and 2021 in the wheel arches? The wheel arches enlargers are really what I want, because I think the stock ones are too thin. They are not proportional to the rest of the body.

Do you think if I buy the wheel arch parts only I will be able to install them in my car?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
605 Posts
I have most of your list.

I am running the Heico Selected Level with wider and lower offset wheels (Similar look to wheel spacers), tinted European tail lights, and I am using the Urban Body kit side pieces on my R-Design

I think the issue of Urban Body kit fitment for you is similar to this kit for my R-Design... the front and rear bumper pieces will not work. For me I just used the wide wheel arches, lower door panels, and lower sill piece and it worked fine.

No idea why Volvo says it won’t fit, did the body change along the side for 2021?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rear pic with the tinted tail lights

Reactions: JFonseca

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not sure if you want a body-color matched side body kit, but Thunder Gray was only available starting in 2020 so that could be another reason it'd be tough to find for your specific car. Sweet ride though, I love Thunder Gray esp on the R-design!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if you want a body-color matched side body kit, but Thunder Gray was only available starting in 2020 so that could be another reason it'd be tough to find for your specific car. Sweet ride though, I love Thunder Gray esp on the R-design!
Yes, I know that Thunder Gray will not be available, but I don’t mind to painting the parts to match the color.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have most of your list.

I am running the Heico Selected Level with wider and lower offset wheels (Similar look to wheel spacers), tinted European tail lights, and I am using the Urban Body kit side pieces on my R-Design

I think the issue of Urban Body kit fitment for you is similar to this kit for my R-Design... the front and rear bumper pieces will not work. For me I just used the wide wheel arches, lower door panels, and lower sill piece and it worked fine.

No idea why Volvo says it won’t fit, did the body change along the side for 2021?

Yes, and your car looks fantastic!!! I never saw the body kit with the Heico suspension and spacers, but it is exactly as I thought.

I am trying now to find a dealer who lets me buy just the side body kit, paints and installs it. I already found a parts supplier who sells me only the parts that I need, but then I would need to go to a body shop for painting and installation. I prefer Volvo to do it, but if I don’t have an alternative I will go this way.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Okay, if you found a source for parts then you are set. I ordered the parts and had a local body shop paint match and install them.

One tip, we did not use the double stick tape that comes with the kit. It creates a gap where it attaches to the body. The body shop used a trim glue so that the pieces would be flush, a much cleaner look

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, if you found a source for parts then you are set. I ordered the parts and had a local body shop paint match and install them.

One tip, we did not use the double stick tape that comes with the kit. It creates a gap where it attaches to the body. The body shop used a trim glue so that the pieces would be flush, a much cleaner look

Thanks for the tip! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here it is the first part of the transformation :D

Added Heico Select Level and Heico 3mm Spacers

The side body kit has been a nightmare to know exactly what I need to order. I think that I will be able to install only the side body kit (39848344). But many vendors say that I either need to buy the entire Urban Luxury kit, which has parts that do not fit my car, or that I also need to buy additionally the side skirts. A few vendors told me that I need to buy 39848690 and 39848344. I am tempted to buy 39848344 and see what's included in the kit. The problem with this approach is that if I need to buy any additional part, I will be paying shipping twice, which is expensive due to the parcel size.

@WunderWagen
By any chance do you remember the part numbers that you have ordered? Do you think I will be able to install the side body parts without replacing the side skirts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally received a reply that I am confident to be true:

"The included parts in Part 39848344 are only the parts you can see at the photo.

All other parts, which you see on the next photo, we have to order separately. These parts are not included in 39848344, but in the basic body kit 39848690.

I'm sorry for this wrong information on the website."

According to this I will need to buy these parts:
Kotflügelansatz v. l. 39836876
Kotflügelansatz v. r. 39836879
Kotflügelansatz h. l. 39836882
Kotflügelansatz h. r. 39836885
Zierleiste, v. l. 39836865
Zierleiste, v. r. 39836867
Zierleiste, h. l. 39836870
Zierleiste, h. r. 39836873

The side skirts that I am still not sure if I need to install or not (I would prefer not to) is this
Schutzblech 39848344

Apparently it's cheaper to buy the separate parts, than the kit that includes all side body parts and side skirt (39848690).

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lucky you I did create a parts list when I put this together for my R-Design since buying the whole Urban Body kit was not needed (Front and rear bumpers pieces will not work for R-Design). Not sure how it would look with the original Side Sills, the lower door cladding is noticeably thicker than the factory R-Design parts which means the body kit Side Sills are wider to match. These were the parts for my 2018... but think it can work for other years since the body did not change to my knowledge. These were the part numbers on the parts themselves that I wrote down before installation... they may be superseded by now which is why they may not match your list. David

Front left wheel flare - 31399460
Front right wheel flare - 31399462
Front right wheel flare w/sensor - 31414598
Front left wheel flare w/sensor - 31414597
Front left door lower cladding - 31399053
Front right door lower cladding - 31399045
Rear right wheel flare - 31399466
Rear left wheel flare - 31399464
Rear right wheel flare w/sensor - 31414600
Rear left wheel flare w/sensor - 31414599
Rear left door fender flare - 31399056
Rear right door fender flare - 31399048
Rear left lower door cladding - 31399055
Rear right lower door cladding - 31399047
Lower Side Sills kit - 39836725 (Both Left and Right)

·
Registered
605 Posts
By the way, the Side Sills do include a chrome trim (Part #P) that I did not install as I preferred the paint match look.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cost?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I actually bought mine second hand, not from a dealer. I did find Tasca Parts Online to be the lower cost option when sourcing parts from dealer options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the Volvo dealer, including painting and installation, the quote is 8.000CHF (8.836USD). This is ordering all the parts. If ordering the kit (39848690) it would be more 500CHF (552 USD).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lucky you I did create a parts list when I put this together for my R-Design since buying the whole Urban Body kit was not needed (Front and rear bumpers pieces will not work for R-Design). Not sure how it would look with the original Side Sills, the lower door cladding is noticeably thicker than the factory R-Design parts which means the body kit Side Sills are wider to match. These were the parts for my 2018... but think it can work for other years since the body did not change to my knowledge. These were the part numbers on the parts themselves that I wrote down before installation... they may be superseded by now which is why they may not match your list. David
Thanks, this just confirms what the Volvo dealer replied, both for the parts needed to be ordered and the need to install the side sills from the kit. You are right, the parts numbers have been updated.

Now that I know exactly what I need I will ask 3 or 4 quotes in neighbouring countries because hand labour is much lower than in Switzerland.

This weekend I did some dirt roads and I understand now why you installed the mud flaps. Even though I don't like the look I will also install them. By any chance do you have the part numbers?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do not have the part numbers handy... but make sure that for the front ones you order the Body Kit versions if you plan to install the Body Kit. The front splash guards are different for the Body Kit than standard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts