SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending 14 hours in a rental XC with low mileage, both my husband and I experienced throbbing headaches. The car does have a strong smell of interior glues still out-gassing. The next day we ran fresh air fron the vents and had little or no symptons.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

I'm also interested in any other pros and cons you can provide for this vehicle for my consideration for purchase.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I can't bring myself to call you Wench, but "hi" nonetheless.
Welcome. What a great collection of Swedes you have!

I'm curious what the VIN on hubby's '66 1800S is. Mine, that I sold around '92 was 17999, and I want it back if you have it. But that's now what you're here for....

As for the pros and cons of the '01 V70s - Be sure to spend some times on this forum and other boards (VolvoSpy.com, brickboard.com) to glean as much info as you can before you buy. The transmissions on the XC and the FWD '01's is much the same, not to mention the LPT engines, so be sure and read threads that may not be specifically about your car. I don't have the time to spill my guts here again, but please be sure to catch up on this forum and the others.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have.

- Darell

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oh, crud. I forgot to mention about the sick building syndrome (you know...the main point of your post) The biggest problems I've ever had in that area is getting ill from the cologne of the last guy who rented the car. The smell can be very subtle, but if something in it annoys you, you're done. Be sure to keep those vents open to fresh air whenever possible.

- Darell

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes - we experience the same problem. It doesn't bother me but my wife will experience 'motion sickness symptoms' that doesn't occur in our older car.

Solvents and plasticizers in the fabric and plastics in the new car's interior are outgassing and causing the fumes. It is also the culprit that causes the film build-up on the interior glass. You will notice an increase in the fumes on warm & sunny days.

There's no real way to prevent either problem. Ventilating the car as you found is the best cure. Try also leaving your windows or sunroof cracked open a quarter-inch to keep the fumes from building up. Also, try not to park in the direct sun and use a sunshade.

My $.02.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unless you have a specific need for the AWD capabilities of the 2001 XC, be sure to drive the 2.4T and T5 versions of the V70. The XC has been designed by Volvo to compete in the SUV market, and in so doing, gives up several performance abilities. Although one might think that AWD would offer improved handling, etc. that is not the case with the Volvo 2001 XC due to increased weight, raised cg, truck tires, etc.

With the XC you are sacrificing handling, braking, performance, fuel mileage, not to mention the higher initial cost, for 2 things: the aura of an SUV, and AWD. Having owned a Volvo XC and a T5, I can tell you that the only occasion where AWD might be of value over FWD is if you live deep in snow country, and particularly if you have a long unplowed driveway, etc. If these conditions don't apply, what a penalty to pay for something that you would rarely, if ever find of use. And I haven't even mentioned the added maintenance problems of AWD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can't bring yourself to call me Wench, just call me Wendy

Sorry but I don't think we have your 1800S. You can read about how we came to own this vehicle at our SwEm website http://www.intelab.com/swem/small%20world.htm

Thanks for the welcome.

[This message has been edited by wench (edited 02-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by wench (edited 02-20-2001).]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks Wendy -

That's better :)

Great story about finding the 1800. It just makes me misty-eyed all over again. The part I like best about the older 1800s is the way the chrome curves up the door crease. Ah, but here I am taking this thread way off subject again...sorry.

Great Swedish Embassy site. Makes me want to dig up some pictures of my 1800S....then buy another one and restore it. If I find some pictures to scan, I'll put them up in the classics forum.

I hope your XC info-hunting goes well. I'll get out of here just in case somebody has something relevant for this thread

- Darell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.