SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ran through a huge pothole at about 50 mph yesterday which pretty much shredded my front and rear passenger side tires.
now i know tire rack is a good place to get tires, however, i only need two tires and i dont have the money at moment to throw down on a brand new set of 4 tires. anyone have any good idea or websites i can visit to get a really good deal on a couple of replacement tires besides tirerack??
i know tire-easy is out there but is it reputable?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
It's really not wise to replace only two tires with AWD system. I do not know about where you live my here in Portland most tires stores wont even do it for liabilty reasons.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also is it bad to have to differnt brands of tires on the car?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
do not mix tires on awd car. You can get away with replacing just two tires if they are relatively new tires on the car and the tread depth isn't too different 2 or 3/32nds difference. (put old tires on the rear) Only put the same time on though if you do this.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...made in china...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for a few months of use who cares.....besides they probably have led in them that makes them stronger lol
yeah your definitly right. i just dont like the brand name "sunny" but who gives a damn as long as they work i guess, and this way i can get all 4 tires for the price of 2!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You don't have to buy all 4 from tirerack or discount... Just click the box for quantity and select 2 instead of 4.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
You don't have to buy all 4 from tirerack or discount... Just click the box for quantity and select 2 instead of 4.
Before he does that he might want to call the place he wants to have the tires installed and make sure they will only do two so he doesnt f**** himself.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I can't imagine a place requiring you to do all 4. Never run across anything like that with 16 cars in my 18 years of driving. Now I do always call to make sure a place will install tires that you bring in. They always tell me yes so long as they still have the new stickers on them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before he does that he might want to call the place he wants to have the tires installed and make sure they will only do two so he doesnt f**** himself.
it cant be THAt horrible too have too different tread tires on front and back...

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
it cant be THAt horrible too have too different tread tires on front and back...
I would highly suggest that you call the place you want to install your new tires and ask them before you buy tires, a simple phone call will save you a huge headache. If you do not want to do that then more power to ya.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
And if they won't, call one of the other 50+ places in your area that install tires :)

I also have always found it hard to believe that different tires on front and back etc will hurt an AWD car.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
And if they won't, call one of the other 50+ places in your area that install tires :)

I also have always found it hard to believe that different tires on front and back etc will hurt an AWD car.
Just so I am clear, you think it's ok to install two new tires on an AWD car that has two older tires on it?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Tires can be shaved down to match tread depth of the older tires. Wish I would have known this when Sears messed up installation of one of my tires which caused irregular tread wear and I ended up buying four new tires due to tread depth problems.

Tirerack will shave tires down for I think $30/tire.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Just so I am clear, you think it's ok to install two new tires on an AWD car that has two older tires on it?
That's exactly what I "think". Didn't say I knew with 100% certainty but sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me to think having 2 tires on the front that don't match the back would do damage. Would love to see the absolute facts to back that up. Sounds more like something the tire companies come up with to get you to buy more. Would be far more interested in someone that can prove damage than some study that says it will.

How can people run staggered sizes on an AWD car then?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts