SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATES ARE POSTED THRUOUT THE THREAD:

I totaled my car while moving from California to Colorado (roughly a year ago). I was in dire need of a new car. I was mainly looking for something AWD because I was new to the whole "seasons" thing, haha, snow and all. I was looking at some subarus, saabs, volvos and bmws. I stumbled across a 2005 S40 T5 AWD on craigslist with 42k miles (original owner) on it for a relatively good price, a little over blue book but I felt the reliability of these Volvos (according to everything I could research) and the low miles it was worth it for a car that would last.

This first picture is a picture from the actual craigslist ad:

Within a few weeks I plastidipped the rims black:

After that I had to do a few things like replace the battery, alternator and fuel sensor and while trying to get adjusted to my new job, new place to live (moved 5 times since I have been out here) I haven't really done too much to the car. I did buy some wheels and tires and also found out that the car had the Elevate springs installed already.

Sparco Assetto Gara 17x7.5 wrapped in 225/45ZR-17 tires. Still have the stock 17s wrapped with some winter tires also:

I work graveyards so I don't sleep too much on my days off so I went out for a drive tonight and took a few pictures thru out. All the pictures were taken and edited with my iPhone, I sold my nice camera when I moved and have yet to replace it, so pardon the quality.

The main reason I am posting this thread is because I am now starting to buy things for the car finally (only 10 months later than buying it).
I recently bought a OEM Volvo rack for the top, have a Inno fairing that will arrive tomorrow, new fogs, new grille, new intake.. all in the mail currently. Plus I have a few plastidip ideas I might need up doing as well and thought I would post my doings here.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE [already]:

My grille came in. Looks PERFECT. I ordered the small mesh, I got the large mesh, and I like it probably more than the small would have been. Thanks to MyNameIdeasWereTaken for the video on removal, easy as pie. :thumbup:

My car is super dirty, pay no attention to the bugs all over it. ha.

My fairing should be arriving today too, so might get another update, haha.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE [again]:

Got my fairing today. Put it on. Here's the picture. Again, pay no attention to the bugs and dirt. Ill get better pictures later.
Today was successful day off. Plastidiped the mirror covers, put on my dubstop grille and Inno fairing.

[Sorry if you see this picture again, I am going to post this or a similar in the roof rack post]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

I did yellow fogs today. I think it turned out well. I also plastidiped the fog covers too. Helps the yellow stand out a little better. While I was at it I polished up the headlights too. and took out the middle grille, I will be cleaning up the intercooler to look a little cleaner and might plastidip the surrounding bumper who knows.

I also took progress pictures doing it if anyone wants to see how.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
looks good- I like what you've done with it- love the grill. although I think I'd rather have the smaller mesh. I like the wheels too. im moving to Denver soon- ill see you there in your! with my similar looking s40.
so moving from California, what do you think of the roads out there? not too bad with the awd lowering springs from elevate? im hoping the can handle the new city in my car...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looks good- I like what you've done with it- love the grill. although I think I'd rather have the smaller mesh. I like the wheels too. im moving to Denver soon- ill see you there in your! with my similar looking s40.
so moving from California, what do you think of the roads out there? not too bad with the awd lowering springs from elevate? im hoping the can handle the new city in my car...
Thanks man, I ordered the smaller mesh but this one arrived. I actually like it a lot, I didn't think I would. I was first disappointed it showed up but the second I popped it in I was really happy with it and it fits the badge well.

California has really good roads (for the most part) where I drove, 95% of the time palm springs and San Diego and in between. There are def some roads in Colorado that are sketchy, all the ice and snow plows do a number on the roads, but it is quite a bit better than say Chicago or something. But also, depending on what part of town, they have a lot of nice roads too. I lived in Colorado Springs for a quick minute and their roads are a lot worse than Denver. The lowering springs wont have a problem with the roads, you'll just need to dodge some of the bigger potholes and potheads, but you'll be good.

When are you moving out here? I was told that the Denver region is having a few more meets/drives left this year which I am looking forward to!

·
Super Moderator
15,356 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Received MyNameIdeasWereTaken's old torque mount today. Will be in by this coming weekend, I hope.

Trying to decide between a few mods for my next. Any suggestions? cat back, IC, Downpipe or an Inlet Manifold.. one of those is what I am thinking of. I am personally leaning towards the IC.
I want to get a tune also but I dont want to get a stage one now and then have to pay for stage two(or three) again in a few months so I might just wait on that one.

·
Super Moderator
15,356 Posts
No point in a larger IC until you're making more boost, if anything it'll slow your car down.

I'd suggest getting the DP and using an O2 spacer, or getting the catback. You'll enjoy that more than anything else if you have to wait a while before the next mod.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Main reason I was thinking IC was cause I kind of wanted do to DP and catback at once, while I am down there just knock it all out. But I also don't have the money to buy both :/ haha

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE:

baby steps.
I received a few items in the mail today. Here is what I did with them.

Firstly was a USB outlet to put in place of the cigarette lighter. ALMOST a direct fit, I basically force threaded the USB unit into the molding. No modifying the molding or splicing the harness, I just hooked about an inch of wire to female and male disconnects and plugged them into the cars harness. As you can see I wasn't too careful and scratched the molding with my pliers, also at the bottom the round portion of the USB was starting to rub SLIGHTLY on it as well. If I was more careful, maybe put some electrical tape down first it wouldn't have scratched anything.

Next I got my Hella Supertones in also. 95% of why I bought them was for the looks, I am not going to lie about "I need to be louder" but that 5% of being louder I'm sure will come in handy one day.
Firstly, I took the grille off of them and painted it gold.

I didn't want to splice the harness up here either so I made some adapters of sort. I then heatshrinked two of those together to give me positive and negative and also electrical taped them to the horns harness/plug.

I painted the factory brackets and then bought a few m6 bolts at home depot and attached them to the factory horn brackets.

Final look with the cars grille back on.

I also got my swedish metal stickers in today, as you can see on the fairing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

I installed my Injen intake today. When I got the stock box off I remembered reading that some of our Volvos have 2 vacuum lines and some only one, mine had two so I needed to go to Auto Zone and pick up some hose and a T.
Total time to install everything was about 30-40minutes so a total time of about an hour and a half for removal and install. Hardest part was plugging the ECU back in and also putting the intake pipe into the rubber tube on the turbo side. And I kept dropping things in the engine bay and having to retrieve them, haha.
When I started my car.. and it sounded amazing, just heavy breathing! I like it. I revved it a few times and man its a nice sound and the BOV sound it produces is nice. I gave it a quick, and I mean quick, drive out my neighborhood and down the block and u-turned and came back and the butt test approves. With the sound and the butt test of HP improvement I would have to say (so far) well worth the $240 I spent.

Ill get some pictures in the daylight sometime. And post any updates about it on here later.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Injen is installed. The bolt I was given for the upper heat shield was too short, so I went to home depot and got a longer bolt and a washer while I was at it. Still really enjoying the intake and actually all my recent upgrades. Getting a lot of looks too :]

While I save up money for more mods I will probably be doing some minor things like painting the engine cover and things like that.

PS. Is my Injen badge on the intake pipe upside down or is that how its supposed to be? haha

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.