SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife was backing up the other day and received no warning and thus backed into this pole.

Minimal damage, but it was the lack of warning that upsets me.

From the shop was told the "software was updated." This info was via the wife, via her call to the dealer.

Car is not back yet, so just collecting data for now.

Thanks, Eric

Hoping this URL will allow you to see a picture of the pole:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byno5Mar-pkeOEgtb05UczBFbnhlUUVtaHg1ZVRQSTMzVmtJ/view?usp=sharing

Another view:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byno5Mar-pkeY3BJU1ljX2FKTnBhdHN6T1lBdWJLVDhMZFVr/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Was the volume for the rear sensors set too low that they weren't heard? My wife accidentally lowered the volume for the rear sensors and when I was backing out of the garage I didn't hear anything and went into the volume settings for the sensors to fix it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
We have a lot of poles like that in our parkade, our XC60 has never had a problem detecting them (front or reverse).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Was the volume for the rear sensors set too low that they weren't heard? My wife accidentally lowered the volume for the rear sensors and when I was backing out of the garage I didn't hear anything and went into the volume settings for the sensors to fix it.
I don't think so, as it is something she does monitor (perhaps a bit to much reliance on technology). She does not listen to the radio loudly either. Car is in shop, but I will be sure to check when it gets back.

Thank you,

Eric

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a lot of poles like that in our parkade, our XC60 has never had a problem detecting them (front or reverse).
Thank you. I plan to do a carefully monitored test when we get the car back.

Eric

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1
Could you or your wife have bumped the button and inadvertently turned off Park Assist, perhaps in the process of turning on/off BLIS?
Park Assist turns on when the car is started, so this would be more likely at the end of a trip than the beginning.
Good luck troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Park sensors can miss poles. When I was on the VW Vortex forum this happened to a VW Eos. But it was one of those 2-3 foot poles that block the entrance to a parking lot. But it looked to be the same diameter as yours. The guy backed right into one without a peep from the sensors. It really all depends on the angle when a narrow obstacle like a pole in involved.

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1 -- I had a similar incident involving a short/small diameter (~ 3 inches) poorly located pole in a parking lot.
Completely invisible to the forward sensors and barely visible to the driver. The impact caused fender and steering arm damage putting the car out of commission for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't think this has anything to do with the sensor volume. Last year I backed into another vehicle in my S60 equipped with the proximity sensors. Made a nice indentation in my bumper cover (and his front bumper). Since then I am paying extra attention to the rear camera, before I start driving. I discovered that the sensors (and camera) take 3-4 seconds to fully activate and respond to obstructions. If you start moving fast enough before then (like your wife probably did), you will not get a warning and hit whatever is behind you. I have no idea why it takes this long for the sensors to engage - the process should be instantaneous as soon as the car is in reverse.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Volvos parking sensors are a joke. We call them the "you already hit something sensors". They are so slow to react they're almost pointless. Yes I've been to the dealer about it twice, even compared to another S60 on the lot.

And don't get me going on the backup camera... How you are half way down the driveway before it decides to pop up on the screen.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What these last two guys said...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree on that. My 16 V60 was will pick up parking curbs if your like 6in away from them. It will pick up the pillars next to ATM's. I'm pretty surprised at how well they work, I'm still cautious though. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree on that. My 16 V60 was will pick up parking curbs if your like 6in away from them. It will pick up the pillars next to ATM's. I'm pretty surprised at how well they work, I'm still cautious though. Just my thoughts.
Same here. Ours picks up grass if its too tall in parking lot fields. The only way to know for sure is to try and replicate the situation, which may be impossible if they do a software upgrade.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Those ATM pillars are to the side so the side sensor will detect them. The problem is when a narrow obstacle is between sensors then it's all about the angle. These, BLIS, the backup camera are tools. They are not fool proof and they don't replace your eyes.

That said, I think the park sensors worked better and were more responsive before Sensus 3.0. They did something to them in that update that dumbed them down.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Seriously guys, there is no problem with sensor sensitivity, they are quite sensitive. It's the delay once you shift into reverse. Just give it a few seconds before you start moving. They were never designed to be a primary safety feature. Also - don't put too much trust on the camera when backing up into a tight parking spot or around parking poles. I always use my side mirrors and turn my head when I am backing, to make sure I am not missing anything. It doesn't take a lot of effort or extra time.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Volvos parking sensors are a joke. We call them the "you already hit something sensors". They are so slow to react they're almost pointless. Yes I've been to the dealer about it twice, even compared to another S60 on the lot.

And don't get me going on the backup camera... How you are half way down the driveway before it decides to pop up on the screen.
Your experience is in direct contrast with what I have been experiencing daily and while I drive close to 30,000 miles per year w/ 3-4 different Volvos per year.

I think the latest edition, including CTA, is fantastic. The sensors never betrayed me. The only time they do something "wrong" is when the front sensors occasionally overreact to excess heat or exhaust from a car...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The only time they do something "wrong" is when the front sensors occasionally overreact to excess heat or exhaust from a car...
Ha-ha! That happened to me too. I was behind a fellow Sweedspeeder, and the mighty exhaust fumes of his V60R kept setting off my front sensors!

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I discovered that the sensors (and camera) take 3-4 seconds to fully activate and respond to obstructions. If you start moving fast enough before then (like your wife probably did), you will not get a warning and hit whatever is behind you. I have no idea why it takes this long for the sensors to engage - the process should be instantaneous as soon as the car is in reverse.
This ^^^

Also, a couple of times since I've had this car, it seems the sensors can be fooled when the car is very dirty? We've been dealing with a lot of snow, melt, snow, ice, melt cycles lately (virtually impossible to keep the car remotely clean) and my sensors seem to lose some sensitivity when the car is really dirty.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah Dirty Sensors CAN Miss it..

Keep them clean / clear of snow, mud etc or this can occur.

On the flip side of this .. Mine are very annoying.. Pick up everything... Fronts are worse then back..

B

1 - 20 of 27 Posts