SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
Re: Should it stay or should it go? (k20a)

Quote, originally posted by k20a »
I bought my 96 850 turbo from this website with 92K miles. It now has 138K miles and:

-at idle it smokes - burns oil

Rather than assuming that the piston rings are bad...

I would perform an engine compression test. Compare dry and wet readings. Burning oil could be simple problem as clogged PCV/oil seperator system. Also, could be problem with valves.

The reason that I ask...

Most likely, the engine did not burn oil at 92K miles when you bought it. Now at 138K miles, it is burning oil even though you performed oil changes at regular intervals. Rings just don't wear out like that. This leads me to believe that oil burning problem lies somewhere else outside of wore piston rings.

· Registered
200 Posts
Re: Should it stay or should it go? (k20a)

Quote, originally posted by k20a »

Rebuilding the motor is an option, I could go all out and replace pistons, rings, valves, rods, seals, etc... But that would be $$$...

I love the car.. don;t get me wrong.. The kids love it too...

I am an engineer but not a mechanic by profession.. As as hobbie, I like to work on honda motors.

It sounds like you have the ability to rebuild the motor if it comes down to that. I guess that it comes down to the condition of the paint, body and interior -- and how much you love the car.

You could always buy another 1996-97 850-T5/R and keep this one as a parts car.

You could always buy a 1998 S70 T5.

You could always buy a 2004 or newer S60 T5.

I prefer just about everything about the 1996-97 850-T5/R over the S70 and S60. In my opinion, the 1996-97 model years are easier to work on for do-it-yourself guys like me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.