SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...I've had my 2005 V50 T5 AWD for a couple of years now and have had quite a few problems. I love the car, but the maintenance is killing me.

I've replaced wheels bearings on all wheels, put in an alternator, brakes (which is fine), ignition switch and now maybe a CEM is required.

I love the car, but I think I am going to dump it and get something else. I drive about 50,000kms each year, mostly highway and need a small wagon and love the AWD. So it kinda limits my choices.

If I move up to a 2007 V50 T5 AWD, can I expect the same problems??? Or would some of those been resolved?

Thanks for your input!
-Mitch

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Trade for an Audi A3 or A4 Avant! Yummmm

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
You will expect similar issues on a 2007

·
Registered
937 Posts
A3 is def too small, I ride in one 30% of the days (carpool).
A4 is nice, I drove an A4 avant manual quattro and it was very nice, but it's expensive. I looke dinto them but it was much more expensive to get a recent one. And old ones I don'T trust the reliability that much.

I am getting a 2010 V50 and I hope I did the right choice ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A3 is def too small, I ride in one 30% of the days (carpool).
A4 is nice, I drove an A4 avant manual quattro and it was very nice, but it's expensive. I looke dinto them but it was much more expensive to get a recent one. And old ones I don'T trust the reliability that much.

I am getting a 2010 V50 and I hope I did the right choice ;)
Yes, hopefully the 2010 V50 will serve you well!

I think the A3 is quite small. I compared cargo volumes and everything else with the A4 and it is quite comparable. I've had a Passat with the 1.8T (now 2.0T) motor and the thing is bulletproof and great fuel economy. I like the VW products, good ride and good comfort. That might just be the car for me.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'd go with a Japanese car if you want minimal maintenance costs. That's what I'll be doing for my next car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
don't go audi if you want less maintenance! It's not a premium car only premium prices. Then you can better buy a VW.
Mercedes from 2008 are pretty good again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
don't go audi if you want less maintenance! It's not a premium car only premium prices. Then you can better buy a VW.
Mercedes from 2008 are pretty good again.
Yes, I would do a Mercedes, but I can't show up to my clients driving that as they will think my prices are too high! Haha (we sell industrial tools)

Well, the Audi is basically a VW, with some extras, right? I had a 99 Passat that I ran for 11 years, no issues. And that is kinda like the A4, so one would think they should be ok. At least I'm comfortable enough working on it cause I know it.

So I'm thinking A4 Avant Quattro 2.0T

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
So I'm thinking A4 Avant Quattro 2.0T
Nice choice! I had an '02 A4 1.8T quattro that I loved! Drove it for about 70K (sold it with 99.9K on the clock) and had few issues. My next car will be another Audi.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hi guys...I've had my 2005 V50 T5 AWD for a couple of years now and have had quite a few problems. I love the car, but the maintenance is killing me.

I've replaced wheels bearings on all wheels, put in an alternator, brakes (which is fine), ignition switch and now maybe a CEM is required.

I love the car, but I think I am going to dump it and get something else. I drive about 50,000kms each year, mostly highway and need a small wagon and love the AWD. So it kinda limits my choices.

If I move up to a 2007 V50 T5 AWD, can I expect the same problems??? Or would some of those been resolved?

Thanks for your input!
-Mitch
Am I the only one who's going to pull in for anther V50 :p

My two cents is that European cars are more pleasurable cars with more problems. It's a trade off you just have to live with.
Generally speaking cost on Audi, VW, Mercedes are going to be higher overtime since reliability is typically not as good. No certainty there...

The problem with our S40/V50 is that there is no average problem for reliability it seems, meaning it won't be better with newer models but further more it's going to be a lot more hit or miss for what I've notice from SS feedback here. While VW and Audi have repetitive issues by models you find out after a couple of years, it seems to me our car problems are kind of erratic. Some have specific issues while other have no problems. I'm not sure why :confused:

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
it seems to me our car problems are kind of erratic. Some have specific issues while other have no problems. I'm not sure why :confused:
Must be user error. :p

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just my 2cents: my '07 (60K miles) has thus far been bullet proof. Had to get the flame trap fix done, but other than routine stuff, no issues.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Must be user error. :p
Like my warped front axles because I wanted to use the Turbo on acceleration . . . or cross threaded stud because I could not loosen from overly torqued lug-nut by the dealership impact gun use :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 2009 S40 has been about as reliable as my Toyota Highlander or Subaru Outback at the same miles (~53K). Both of those cars were great until 100K and then things started going wrong. Worst was the head gasket replacement on the Subaru at ~120K miles.

I will be happy if the S40 were the same but who knows...one thing I can say is that it's a more enjoyable ride than any of the more reliable Japanese makes I've owned.

My concern about buying a used S40 or V50 (will soon be in the market for a beater car for young drivers) would not be in the reliability but in the costs to repair. Might be wrong but the impression I have is that when things do break they are more expensive to fix.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Let's face it people . . . Cars reliability across most brands and models is a lot greater than it use to be 10/20 years ago :thumbup: . . . and so is the cost of repairs :thumbdown: . . . Volvo does greatly abuse on cost though! :thumbdown::thumbdown:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts