SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "November" Software Update is scheduled for next week.

Right after that it is time to update my cell phones.

The big question for me is:

Should I switch to an Apple Phone just to be able to use Car Play. I would not switch for any other reason.

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
My "November" Software Update is scheduled for next week.

Right after that it is time to update my cell phones.

The big question for me is:

Should I switch to an Apple Phone just to be able to use Car Play. I would not switch for any other reason.

Thanks!
I doubt it

I used carplay the first week and then decided that it wasn't worth it.

1) you wont see phone calls in the HUD or left screen if you are using car play
2) I use waze all the time and when I change apps to choose music in car play it changes the phone display as well which is annoying
3) I use the regular bluetooth connection for phone calls and access my iphone plugged in as an ipod so that I get high quality audio

I haven't really felt much of a benefit of the rest of the features
it might be a bit different if you receive a lot of messages while you drive....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personally, it's a no for me if the sole purpose for switching phone is for CarPlay. My answer might be a maybe if they make it wireless, change the display and add more apps. Since the update several weeks ago, I have only used it twice and don't care for it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can think of a lot of reasons to switch to an iphone, but Carplay is definitely not one of them. It's not compelling enough to switch just for Carplay.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love Siri when it comes to playing music, navigation, and texting. It's a lot easier to use than the car's Sensus system. While CarPlay doesn't automatically come up when you plug in the phone, it can be bothersome to find the icon and open it, but once you have CarPlay open, it looks pretty nice.

Only thing that bugs me with navigation is that CarPlay does not show navigation on the dash display or HUD, only on the main center console screen. Siri will still alert you when to turn, though. Maybe they will update that down the road, but right now that's the only thing Sensus navigation has over Apple in my opinion.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Let me first admit, I am a big iOS fan. I've had my car for three days now and I LOVE Apple CarPlay. I already subscribe to Apple Music, so having it blast through the B&Ws is awesome. Millions of songs at my disposal. I've been texting and calling via Siri without issues. I actually like the built-in Nav, so I haven't tried Apple Maps yet.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have an iPhone and so I use CarPlay and I do think it's pretty great though limited but I wouldn't recommend switching phones just to get CarPlay. In fact it's likely I'll switch to android when android auto is available, primarily to be able to use google maps. I sort of can't imagine android auto being inferior to CarPlay. Who knows when it comes out though.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have an iPhone and so I use CarPlay and I do think it's pretty great though limited but I wouldn't recommend switching phones just to get CarPlay. In fact it's likely I'll switch to android when android auto is available, primarily to be able to use google maps. I sort of can't imagine android auto being inferior to CarPlay. Who knows when it comes out though.
There's also nothing stopping Google from making their app carplay compliant - so you may see it on CarPlay before Android Auto releases.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think Apple may be stopping it actually but that is certainly possible and would be great. And would save at least one customer for Apple.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think Apple may be stopping it actually but that is certainly possible and would be great. And would save at least one customer for Apple.
Apple is on record stating that any app available on the phone is available to work with CarPay provided they meet the requirements (mostly safety-related, no web browser, excessive inputs, etc).
Google commented regarding Waze that they don't have any immediate plans to work on making it CarPlay compliant. But you never know - they came around to making an iOS app after a while.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Switch to Apple? I switched to Android (Galaxy S6) when that phone came out and glad I did. If you've got an Android device and are happy with it ... maybe wait and see what happens later in the year with Android auto?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I love Apple - coming from an Android four years ago and MS before that. Anyway, I would not buy an Apple iPhone now but would compare Apple iPhone 7 with latest Samsung Android phones this Fall. Patience may be a virtue in your case. (I am already "all in" with Apple so no turning back yet.)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
A number of carriers offer a trial period, get the latest iPhone, try out CarPlay and if you don't enjoy it, return the phone and go back to your current Android.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts