SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the IPD tune loaded on my car right now. I installed a 16T and it seems to run just fine with the tune. I never got a re-tune when i upgraded the turbo. Is that a problem?

Anyone else have this problem? (is it a problem?) Should I just get the RICA tune and have it tuned with all the mods and the upgraded turbo? Will it make a big difference?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
ARD is another option also. Get the tune for all the mods that you have is a most.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think I am ok with the IPD tune that I have running right now?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i can say yes, or no, but is really easy to see that the 16T flows are different than your stock turbo. Also it build boost really fast which can bend some rods. Im not saying you will, but def. It worth to ask. Call Lucky, he will more than happy to talk about it, even if you dont buy anything from him later.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Since you already have a IPD stage 2 software, just call them and tell them you want to pay for a stage 3 software upgrade from stage 2.
Should be cheaper than buying a whole new software from anyone else.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
16T flows differently than the 14T but not enough to harm anything really, the car adjusts to it quite well with any tune. I ran the stock tune, stage I, and stage II on the 16T just to get a comparison. Really you'll be fine. The only difference I noticed between stage I on the 16T and stage II on the 16T is that boost builds later in the rpms with stage II (which was because my car was FWD, and boost had to be limited down low to prevent wheel spin).

As long as you don't get boost spikes and you aren't overshooting your target boost pressure you'll be perfectly fine with the IPD tune.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Since you already have a IPD stage 2 software, just call them and tell them you want to pay for a stage 3 software upgrade from stage 2.
Should be cheaper than buying a whole new software from anyone else.
Ipd uses MTE for tuning, they don't have a stage III for the 2.5T engine.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a similar set up as you I run a Rica stage II tune though and I love it, the capability of being able to go back to stock tune and put back in my 14t when I go to sell if I decide to demodify is nice. However from what I've heard about the ARD tunes theyre pretty good, if I ever switch to an 18t thats where I will be getting my tune from. However considering your not running as large of a turbo like a k24 or 19t I would say your fine with the tune you have, but it wouldnt hurt to give IPD a call and just ask.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, what psi is your tune set for? I know for the rica stage 2 I can hold 17 psi, but always been curious about what the ipd tune offers with my set up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Ipd uses MTE for tuning, they don't have a stage III for the 2.5T engine.
For IPD/MTE, Anytime turbos are swapped, it's considered a Stage III. Which is what the OP did going from 14T to 16T.
MTE has plenty of experiences for 2.5T with 16T, I'd also go for a set of 395cc or 465cc injectors to take full potential of the 16T. :)
Good Luck!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a similar set up as you I run a Rica stage II tune though and I love it, the capability of being able to go back to stock tune and put back in my 14t when I go to sell if I decide to demodify is nice. However from what I've heard about the ARD tunes theyre pretty good, if I ever switch to an 18t thats where I will be getting my tune from. However considering your not running as large of a turbo like a k24 or 19t I would say your fine with the tune you have, but it wouldnt hurt to give IPD a call and just ask.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, what psi is your tune set for? I know for the rica stage 2 I can hold 17 psi, but always been curious about what the ipd tune offers with my set up.
I can hold 16psi steady. Everything seems to run fine so far. I had some spikes when I first installed the turbo, but then I reset the ECU and everything was normal after that.

All I am missing is a FMIC. In the summer the car was dragging. Now that fall is here and it's cold outside the car is a beast.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I can hold 16psi steady. Everything seems to run fine so far. I had some spikes when I first installed the turbo, but then I reset the ECU and everything was normal after that.

All I am missing is a FMIC. In the summer the car was dragging. Now that fall is here and it's cold outside the car is a beast.
You and me both need an FMIC. Im waiting for the SNABB one that is supposedly coming out next year, hopefully before that so it can be installed before summer of this upcoming year where I really need it.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

sounds good, so you can call ipd and ask about stage III or call Lucky and see what can he offer. A FMIC is a most on hot weathers, look my thread, i did a custom FMIC for less than $250 bucks.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
That IPD tune will be fine. There have been a few other guys who ran the 16T with it, Lucky used to say it was fine too before he left IPD. There was huge thread that seemed to go missing about tuning the LPT for more power than covered this topic in depth.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ran the stock tune, stage I, and stage II on the 16T just to get a comparison.
Stephan,
How can you manage these 3 files? With my PPC-RICA I can only store two files: The stock program + one Stage (actually Stage 2). I can't go back to Stage 1.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Stephan,
How can you manage these 3 files? With my PPC-RICA I can only store two files: The stock program + one Stage (actually Stage 2). I can't go back to Stage 1.
The 3 files are on my computer, actually all 4 technically. I can only load one file at a time, so you can have the stock file and a remapped file on the softloader at once. I actually have 3 tunes from RICA, ECU Upgrade, Stage II, and Test_1 (Stage II but with the rev limiter moved to 7000RPM, I refer to this as "stage III" sometimes lol). I've just dealt with loading one stage at a time then going back and loading a different stage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh! I see.
Please PM me how to transfer these files on computer (and upload back). It could be very useful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts