SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Should i salvage my 2006 v70r?

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  nascenta 
#1 ·
Two months ago this was stolen from my driveway. A week later the perp tried to outrun the police and sideswipped a tree. It is a writeoff. I'm about to settle with the insurance company and can buy the car back for cheap. I know the transmission is toast but everything is good. Any interest in parts? It had 110,000 miles

#3 ·
What color is it and where are you located?

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Shipping from Canada will make things more of a pita, but it's still probably worth it even more so if you are going to buy another Volvo and want some parts for your self.

When I bought back my 04 with 168k on the clock, it was about $850 USD. Some times they try to screw you on the buy back price, and it becomes not worth to part out. At like $2500 buy back price I would tell them to pound sand.

#6 ·
Parting out is a long process, takes dedication and a LOT of time to get your money back. Not to mention storage... Responding to emails is probably the worst part. Ive done it a few times and it blows. If you plan on parting it, try your best to just get rid of it as a whole to someone that needs a parts car.

#7 ·
I appreciate the insight DrBrutal. I'm waiting to hear from the salvage guy at the insurance company. It all depends on the price, i guess. In the back of my mind in thinking ....I'm going to get another R... So it might be a partsvehicle for me.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
How's the perp get past the immobilizer?

#11 ·
Just don't sell anything you think you may regret selling. A motor, for example. I wish I had another spare motor laying around just in case of a cracked sleeve, since we are already down 3 motors locally (that had cracked sleeves or other failure). Already gone through 3 motors, and now I have none left..... SO if you do keep it for yourself, and truly plan on buying another R and keeping it and driving it for a long time... Then hoard those parts lol

If I were to buy another daily, it probably won't be another R... As much as I love volvo, I think it's time to move onto something a little faster, a little different... I'm thinking Jag XFR or something along those lines. That's only if my R gives up on me a 2nd time and I have no spare motor laying around lol

#12 ·
As the R gets long in the tooth intact blocks and engines will be getting rare. One of many reasons I sleeved instead of trying to track down another block to repeat the process with.

#14 ·
You're telling me... I see stock block failures at 100k and I'm sitting at almost triple that.

If you are going to buy another R (I'd suggest an 06+ VR for maximum compatibility) I'd buy back the car and slowing take it apart. Put everything you can use in boxes. Even if you don't buy another R you can sell the modules/easy to pull off parts. Headlights are a big ticket R item.

#13 ·
The car was locked but the sunroof was left open. A set of keys had been left in the car (long story). On the bright side, the guy who did it got caught and is going to do significant jail time. So the immobilizer wasn't bypassed.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
So I'm guessing the spare keys were not in the thigh pocket on the seat? The one that only exists if you've owned Volvos.

#15 ·
Yeah, about those cracked engine block failures... which I know about all too well from personal experience, I have been thinking about doing a failure analysis to predict the expected strength of our motors. Ill start another thread for that.

If its just a transmission that needs replacement on your car along with body work, I say go for re-building it instead of parting it out. Otherwise take the insurance money and look for another lower mileage V70R. It might be hard at this point to find one with less than 100K on the clock but it might be worth it if you find a clean example instead of dealing with the issues of a re-built salvage vehicle or parting one out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.