SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 2007 SR Manual (Electric Silver/Nordkapp) since May. Since then I've racked on about 9,000 miles (currently 53,500).

I've been a Swedespeed Member around since when I got it, but I haven't started seriously reading the forum until this week. Something that has stuck out to me is how many people are talking about how their R is rather expensive to maintain, with a solid amount of repairs needed throughout ownership.

Anyway, what I am asking is whether is it is worth me investing in some sort of warranty? I'm getting a little scared about my next trip to the dealer.

**My R was a one-owner completely maintained at Don Beyer Volvo of Falls Church, Virginia. I have a complete service history since purchase and nothing stands out. Here's where is get's a little strange - I bought it in Fairfax, Virginia at a dealer called "A Plus Auto Sales". A Plus is your stereotypical used car dealer (slimy salesguys, little shiny flag banner's lining the lot, American Flag's on all the car antenna's, and not a single car over 20 Grand - my R was an exception).

According to them, it was traded there, but no more information was given. Honestly, I can't picture them having anything worthy of trading an R there for. As for my car, itself - it is free of any paintwork, the previous owner liked to golf a lot (according to the navigation system), and it seems to have been treated rather well. All I have been able to get on owner-1 is that they lived in Bethesda, MD, had some sort of female companion (female hygiene product left in the glovebox), as well as a dog with short white hair (small amounts of hair evident in the trunk region). All that A Plus Auto Sales did to the car (according to the salesguy) was change the brakes, tires, and refinish the rims (they look quite nice).

As for me, I am the definition of an anal car owner. I change my oil every 4,000 at my local Volvo Dealer (Bill Kidd's Volvo - Timonium, MD or Connecticut's Own - Milford, CT), only fill it with 93 Octane, and generally treat it like a princess.

Enough of me blabbering - my general question is, is it worth me investing in a warranty?

Here is what mine looked like the day I bought it at A Plus Auto Sales (the 6-Series was the owners)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Depends on how much the warranty is...

I bought mine from 2nd owner as well with a well documented but short history. I did not buy the warranty but instead put 2500 into savings earning interest.

So far, I had to rebuild the transmission (but used OE flywheel, had it recut) but all new and updated internals include the collar - still haven't touched the 2500 due the parts for transmission was low enough to where it didn't really effect me.

If you financed the car usually you can add warranty into the price and tack it onto financing, but if you did finance the car and your bank/lender will not modify the loan to let you borrow an additional amount to put towards warranty, than do what I did, just put 2500 or so away into an interest bearing account and let it sit for just incase.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The only thing I can actually predict going in the near future is the clutch - and apparently that's an expensive one. That being said, I paid cash for the car.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
99% of warranties will not pay for cluches and good luck convincing the company that the slave cylinder failed causing the clutch to go bad.
Unless it's a CPO car which obviously it's not, be careful with warranties, many are not worth the paper they're printed on.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If you get a warranty, the CPO is the one I'd go with, VIP if possible. My VIP has more than paid for itself...at least two times over....these are problematic cars even when well-cared for.

Btw, love the diamondcut rims. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
A little OT, but those Pegs look almost machined. Any other pictures? Is the finish painted or machined metal? Been thinking about doing the same to my tired 5 year old 18" Pegs.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is the only picture I have right now but I can get some more soon. My best best is that they came to the dealer warped and they sheared them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought our R w/76k on it almost 2 years ago. Now it has 103k. I opted for an additional warranty which added $3500 to my loan, at the time that was tough to swallow. Took my expected $220 payment and made it $300. In the 27k that we've owned it, the warranty has covered new angle gear, complete headlight (bi-xenon $1k from dealer for just the part), lower control arm bushings (alignment too), water pump, slave cylinder, 6MT transmission.

I had to pay for a new clutch, flywheel, timing belt (while water pump was out anyway).

Overall the warranty company coughed up about $12k parts and labor in 2 years. For a $3500 investment I'm happy as hell. My warranty is though CNA National if you're curious.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My VIP went from 64k to 100k and paid for itself about 2.1 times, after it was all said and done. Now that I'm out of VIP, I don't trust any of the aftermarket warranty companies.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Two of my R's 37(exaggerating but still its a lot) computer modules went out at about 50k miles. That cost my warranty company about $2500 dollars and paid for the warranty completely.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try thinking of it as an insurance policy vs a warranty. These other companies had nothing to do with the design, production or maintenance of the car. They're betting that the car wont need major service in the next xx,xxx thousand or 3 years or what ever the term is. We swedespeeders know better than that lol.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Plus, whatever insurance/warranty you decide, read it in detail!! Don't be afraid to ask specific questions to the rep. Would hate for something to not be covered because of a technicality!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My CPO expired today. I'm very afraid.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The 3rd party warranties MAY help you sleep better at night - but there are a LOT of exclusions - some will cover parts failing, but NOT if wires wear out and therefore electrical, etc.
So, yeah, most are not worth the paper they are printed on.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Get to a dealer ASAP if you have a friendly service advisor. They might find some things wrong with your R that the CPO will cover within a small grace period. I know mine did.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You should be able to add Volvo's VIP warranty since yours was CPO'd. It's the same coverage as CPO but has a $100 deductible per incident. You can get it w/o deductible too. The 2-year deal seems worthwhile to me. Bonus is that it is transferable to the next owner, or they will prorate a refund if you cancel it at any time. Pretty nice.
+1 year = $1286 + tax
+2 years = $1639 + tax

1 - 16 of 16 Posts