SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a S60 that I'd like to lower with Elevate springs. My question is should I get new struts along with the springs? I was looking at the Bilstein ones in needed. I've read some people will lower without new struts and its fine, and some people do recommend struts when installing lowering springs. I'd also like to ask you guys what your advice is. My car currently has 45k miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
Get KW'v3's and be done with it. Adjustable for height and stiff/soft shocks. Shocks have 18 clicks of adjustment. Just remember if you lower be VERY, VERY careful if you go for aftermarket wheels, offset wise.
I did it backwards (little offset, wheels 3/4" closer to fender) and my tires rub in the back. Not bad but they do. Once I get the fenders rolled I'll be OK. Do your research first.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Lowering springs are nice, but getting a set of matched struts and springs is ideal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lowering springs are nice, but getting a set of matched struts and springs is ideal.
Do you mean like same brand springs + struts or just get both?

That probably sounds silly, but I am new to this whole car mod thing.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Do you mean like same brand springs + struts or just get both?

That probably sounds silly, but I am new to this whole car mod thing.
What I mean is shocks/struts and lowering springs that have been designed for each other. Car will still ride ok with springs on mis matched struts...for the best performance I perfer matching a full set that was designed in harmony. AKA Heico Suspension kits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I mean is shocks/struts and lowering springs that have been designed for each other. Car will still ride ok with springs on mis matched struts...for the best performance I perfer matching a full set that was designed in harmony. AKA Heico Suspension kits.
Gotcha. I just looked at the price and its about over what I'd like to spend. But if you had to choose between stock struts + aftermarket lowering springs or both aftermarket struts + springs, would it be worth it to get both?

·
Registered
337 Posts
i think there the same,

its for 2012 and up s60s, not sure if the top hats are different in base models,

mine is a 2012 r design, coilovers were installed last febuary,

they will be direct bolt in,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think there the same,

its for 2012 and up s60s, not sure if the top hats are different in base models,

mine is a 2012 r design, coilovers were installed last febuary,

they will be direct bolt in,
Did you have any problems/obstacles installing during or after?

·
Registered
337 Posts
for you it will be easy, direct bolt ins !!

for me it was a pain in the a$$

first they show in the pics they include rear top hats in reality they dont!! you have to modify your exesiting rear top hats . the shock shaft is to big to fit through the stock hole and has to be drilled out .

so i have to buy 2 new rear top hats to go back to stock these will have them already

also adjusting them is a pain but its adjusted leave it and forget it,

if you have the r design you have to space up the front strut bar up with washer a little to clear the adjustment knobs,

its set for middle at 15 of 30 on the adjustment,

again it will be direct bolt ins for you,

also if you buy new they dont tell you about the additional 100.00 worth of import taxes you have to pay, and 150.00 to ship them from over seas,

PM me if your interested, there still on the car as we speak ,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for you it will be easy, direct bolt ins !!

for me it was a pain in the a$$

first they show in the pics they include rear top hats in reality they dont!! you have to modify your exesiting rear top hats . the shock shaft is to big to fit through the stock hole and has to be drilled out .

so i have to buy 2 new rear top hats to go back to stock these will have them already

also adjusting them is a pain but its adjusted leave it and forget it,

if you have the r design you have to space up the front strut bar up with washer a little to clear the adjustment knobs,

its set for middle at 15 of 30 on the adjustment,

again it will be direct bolt ins for you,

also if you buy new they dont tell you about the additional 100.00 worth of import taxes you have to pay, and 150.00 to ship them from over seas,

PM me if your interested, there still on the car as we speak ,
PM'ed

·
Registered
299 Posts
I see they have a intake pipe and air intake, nice!
I heard not so good things about elevate springs on R's... Not sure how these will be - just a heads up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good thing I don't have an RD :D

Would H&R be better?
I was referring to the P2 model 2004-2007 S60R, heard from people the springs cracked after time.

Eibach, H&R, Heico...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I actually have a used set of Heico lowering springs, they have about 50,000 or 60,000km on them.
I upgraded to KW's, PM me if your interested.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Yes you need shorter sport shocks/struts with lowering springs. Non-sport OEM's are too long, will not perform well and will wear out fast. I like H&R w/ Bilstein, or Eibach w/ Koni if you don't go coil overs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually have a used set of Heico lowering springs, they have about 50,000 or 60,000km on them.
I upgraded to KW's, PM me if your interested.
Since you're using KM instead of Miles I am assuming you aren't from the US? Shipping might be too expensive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts