SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2018 V90 CC with 32,000 miles and my warranty is about to expire in August.
Should I get an extended warranty? I bought the car last year and planning on keeping it for another 2 years.

The dealership quoted me
36 months, 36,000 miles, $100 deductible

Platinum: $3,071 plus tax
Gold: $2,628 plus tax

Thanks,

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2018 V90 CC with 32,000 miles and my warranty is about to expire in August.
Should I get an extended warranty? I bought the car last year and planning on keeping it for another 2 years.

The dealership quoted me

Thanks,
While nobody can really answer that for you, one thing to also consider is refunds.
(Don't take my word for it!)
IF you buy that warranty for say $3,000, for 3 more years, and you get rid of it after 2 years, you can probably get a refund on the unused portion of the warranty of say $1,000...
Just something else to help confuse the decision!
Again, don't quote me on it, but it is standard practice on just about any extended warranty, even things like wheel/tire damage protection. I know personally I have done it 3 times.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
452 Posts
We got the Volvo official extension to the CPO. Is this a Volvo warranty or some aftermarket company? YMMV hugely on those, some are good, some are horrible, and all run the risk of the company going out of business.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a 2018 v90cc and my platinum warranty has already covered some items. It won't cover everything sadly. I don't really trust the car to stay trouble free for the long run. But you have to ask yourself, is it going to cost you $3k in 3 years. I don't know if it will.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

The dealership quoted me

Thanks,
There are essentially two questions: one of whether to get it, and another of would the cost be too high were you to act on the offer you received.

Second question is easier to answer. Unless you live in CA, those rate seem awfully high. Go here: Purchase Volvo VIP Extended Warranty Plans Online | Steingold Volvo Cars for the rates that Steingold offers.

At least upon first glance, the cost of the Platinum coverage that you quote for 3 years is comparable to that of Platinum coverage for 5 years offered by Steingold, and the latter does allow you to obtain a refund were you to sell prior to expiration of the warranty.

As for whether one should self-insure, tough call. I'd say the call would be easier to make on a vehicle with more miles (say 50k, with intention of another 36k). But on yours, it's 28k miles currently (after four years of driving), going onto maybe 7k miles/yr for 3 years (assuming current per annum average holds). If I were in your shoes, I would self-insure if the insurance premium were $3000 for 3 years; I might choose to do the same for $2000 for 3 years. If the premium were $1500 for 3 years, that might be where the tipping point would be, at least for me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the same year and model, 29k miles. I have chosen to not do the warranty. I have a 2017 S550 43k miles and had a 2014 A8 out of warranty , no problems with either. The car that costs me many thousands, 2008 BMW X3, never again! Sure was purty though!

·
Registered
464 Posts
We have had our XC40 for almost four years and has been fairly trouble free. We had rotor issues that were covered but nothing that would have been a big deal if we had to pay for it. We pick up our V90CC in July and have not considered buying an extended warranty. We have the cash to repair our vehicles and if the V90CC needed so many repairs that we would have needed to buy an extended warranty, we would buy something else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know it was mentioned before, but would this be a warranty through volvo or some third party? Some third party warranties aren't worth it as they could deny your claim and all the money you gave them was just for their bottom line. I know you can challenge those things with them but just be careful.

For 3 years if they could include standard maintenance in there could help offset some of the cost if you do with it. In short if you have the extra 3k lying around I'd say go for it unless you feel handy and can work on your own vehicles.

Reactions: Pauls90

·
Registered
447 Posts
My 2018 V90 CC is just shy of 20K miles. I purchased a 7 yr/ 70K mile platinum warranty, zero deductible from my dealer for $3600.00. Can be cancelled at any time for a pro-rata refund and is transferable. It was a couple hundred dollars less than Steingold.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,

The dealership quoted me

Thanks,
Is it the warranty/maintenance plan? If so, I’d do it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 S90 FWD and brought up the Steingold pricing for extended warranty. The finance manager knew all about it and, after two minutes of back and forth, he beat Steingold’s quote. Done. You have to ask.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Hi,

The dealership quoted me

Thanks,
Yes.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
768 Posts
Hi,

The dealership quoted me

Thanks,
IMO, if you were to purchase an extended warranty, I'd go with the Platinum since there isn't a major cost difference and the Platinum plan includes more items. With this said, the 2 yr extension cost seems excessive, but to confirm, you should shop around. Perhaps it might be better to set aside $3K, if you can, and rely on a good indi shop for repairs, if the need arises in the future. Your mileage indicates that your car is lightly used, which may help to reduce future repair costs. With this said, in all honesty, I purchased the VIP Platinum plan, zero deductible, 10 yr/100k, at the time I purchased my factory-ordered 2020 V90 Inscription. The cost for this extended warranty, at that time and because it had zero miles, was around $3K, which was paid for with factory and Costco rebates and incentives, and I'm sure the insurer will turn a profit, otherwise they won't be in business for long. I bring this up so that you can see that the insurer is hedging their bet regarding your coverage by excessively charging for 2 years of additional coverage. At the end-of-the-day, this is a tuff call, and one that only you can make.

·
Registered
2019 V90CC T5
194 Posts
After getting the online Steingold quote for a Pt extended warranty, contacted local dealer for his quote. Finance mgr. called back, took all the particulars — I did NOT mention Steingold — and he promised a quote “shortly”. It’s been two weeks now, and bupkis…so, it’s Steingold by default.

·
Vendor
723 Posts
After getting the online Steingold quote for a Pt extended warranty, contacted local dealer for his quote. Finance mgr. called back, took all the particulars — I did NOT mention Steingold — and he promised a quote “shortly”. It’s been two weeks now, and bupkis…so, it’s Steingold by default.
We can help for sure, as always!

Michael Bernardo
Director of Marketing
Steingold Volvo Cars
(401) 723-4700 x126
[email protected]
www.steingoldvolvocars.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts