SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't make up my mind. I have gotten a couple of estimates for installing my new H&R lowering sport springs on my 2007 V50 T5 AWD and they are all looking at 3.5 hrs or around $400 plus another $100 if I want an alignment. The other option is my doing it in the driveway after buying a spring compressor for about $50....just don't know if I feel like doing it. I did my K&N intake recently (removing the stock airbox was a royal PITA!) and my Snabb short shift kit but on this one I am not sure either way...

Any feedback from others that have done this as a DIY?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Look up some how to guides specific to your car. Sometimes on the rear multi link style suspension you can spend hours trying to line up one of the bushings that just won't quite fit, but there's usually a trick to it. Knowing the right order or that one extra bolt to remove can make all the difference. Front McPherson struts are a piece of cake, if you want to save money do those yourself and pay someone to do the rears if your how to guide looks intimidating. Just don't kill yourself with the compressed spring (use your compressor properly and carefully). If you want an example from a V70, click the link in my sig.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha...yeah, I've seen the many horror stories about loaded springs going off in or around diy mechanics faces! I think the rears on the V50 are actually pretty easy and the challenge would be more the fronts. I should probably just set aside a day and get at it....after I buy a spring compressor of course. How do you like your H&R springs?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
They're great. The car is very comfortable but definitely sportier handling and looks awesome. Although all the major spring companies do good work, I wouldn't pick them over eibachs if the eibachs were on sale. You can do fronts and rears at different times, too. Like if you set the day aside and something snags you so you spend 8 hours on just the fronts, you can go back another day and do the rears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts