1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
It looks to be a very clean, well sorted car. I'd want to see some interior pics.

If you're really comfortable working on these cars, I say go for it, but count on the fact that it likely needs a new turbo as well at that mileage, it's not mentioned as been replaced in the add.

If I got it i'd probably immediately pull the turbo, do the head gasket, PCV system, that sort of stuff.

Looks like the EST dual exhaust?

If the interior is as nice as he says and there's no other glaring issues, IMO anything under 4 isn't a bad price at all. You could offer 3 and probably end up around 3500

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's not a bad price for a sorted car with that mileage.

The turbo is not necessarily blown and neither is the HG. Both are not simple jobs so if they are not bad and you are looking for a DD, just make sure to test everything out beforehand.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had new Pcv. He says upon start up it feels as if coolant mixes with the oil but no signs in coolant tank.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If it has a cracked/leaking head gasket, we all know what's involved.
With these miles and needing a headgasket, 2K MAX (retail)

I'm not saying it's a POS, it's not, it's very clean, but my God, 225K miles!
Trade in on that would be $500, even if it had no issues

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Just had new Pcv. He says upon start up it feels as if coolant mixes with the oil but no signs in coolant tank.
I'm not sure how he could "feel" if that's happening. If the oil looks like oil and the coolant looks like coolant (no discoloration or signs of mixing) I'd say he's just making a fuss over nothing. But don't say that. If he thinks the HG is bad, so be it, you'll have a bargaining chip over the price of the car.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If it has a cracked/leaking head gasket, we all know what's involved.
With these miles and needing a headgasket, 2K MAX (retail)
Aw c'mon, a headgasket job isn't *that* bad on these engines.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Actually it is a big job!
Multi hour job on a 225K mile car
Please do the math

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I offered him 2k right off the bit being my top, but he said its too low

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got interior pics and it looks real clean except for some cracking on the drivers seat.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I'm not sure how he could "feel" if that's happening. If the oil looks like oil and the coolant looks like coolant (no discoloration or signs of mixing) I'd say he's just making a fuss over nothing. But don't say that. If he thinks the HG is bad, so be it, you'll have a bargaining chip over the price of the car.
+1
Did he say if he's losing coolant? The guy's ad sounds like he not clueless, but "upon start up it feels as if coolant mixes with the oil but no signs in coolant tank" makes no sense. If you could get it away from him to just test for HC in the coolant, then... :)
There's a lot to like about the car, but yeah, 225K is a bucket of miles, even on these cars. I don't think I'd go past $2500, even if you plan to do the HG yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts