SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Should mateo319 buy a new 2016 S80?

• Yes! That 4-cylinder engine is sweet! You should totally get a new car.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No! You have the same car with a better engine. The fuel economy and tech upgrades aren't worth it.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Just wait for the S90. You know that car is going to be awesome.

Votes: 6 50.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Volvo has $5000 on the hood of 2016 S80s. A-plan pricing won't be available on the S90. I test drove a 2015.5 4cyl S80 and liked it a lot.

I currently have a 2007 V8 S80 with 180k miles. I've had it for the last year and replaced a few things, but nothing in the last 10 months or so. I've got less than $4k to pay on it. It has new tires and a fresh oil change.

So should I splurge on a new 2016? Keep what I have? Or wait until we see the S90?

AMA.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Personally I would wait to see what the s90 is like. You have nothing to lose by waiting a couple months to see if you want it. If you do, get it. If you don't, 2016 model prices will drop in the meantime.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ditto what calumnium said!

Your S80 should be able to keep going for a while longer. If the S90 ends up not being your cup of tea, there should be some nice CPO 2016 S80s for you with a steep discount.

The tech upgrades to the S80 will never live up to the newer systems in these new generation cars.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Even with the 180k miles on your current car, buying a new one isn't still economically justifiable really. So it would have to be in the interest of a new car that you're looking for someone. Even a 2016 loaded with all the extra options and what not I'm still not so sure it's all that money worth of a better car than an older S80, especially not than a V8 one. Or is it something in particular wrong with your current S80 that makes you want to change cars only after a year?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even with the 180k miles on your current car, buying a new one isn't still economically justifiable really.
I agree, it's really not. Even with A-plan pricing and a mountain of cash on the hood.

So it would have to be in the interest of a new car that you're looking for someone. Even a 2016 loaded with all the extra options and what not I'm still not so sure it's all that money worth of a better car than an older S80, especially not than a V8 one. Or is it something in particular wrong with your current S80 that makes you want to change cars only after a year?
No, nothing in particular wrong with my car. Small things here or there that need to be addressed, but can pretty much wait until I get around to them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No the new S90 and S90 cross country are out later this year wait for them they will be out of this world look something like a 4 door concept coupe and interior is very like the new xc90 will be perfection and new 4cly engines are unbaliveable and that's coming from someone that was against them until I put up big miles in one anyone that has a new XC90 will say the same

·
3,391 Posts
I think you'd still be taking a step down from the V8 to the 2016. The earlier S80s were generally much better equipped. You have all wheel drive, which isn't even available on the 2016 S80, and even if your V8 requires a ton of service it still won't come close to equaling what you end up paying for the 2016. You can't really use the DrivE gas mileage as a reason either, because it would take a very very long time for the money saved in petrol to add up to the price you pay for the 2016 over what you currently owe on your V8. I'm about 100k miles ahead of you as far as mileage is concerned, and if your experience goes anything like mine, you won't be spending money on anything but scheduled maintenance and wear items.

·
Registered
94 Posts
New 4cyl is all new engine built by volvo not the old psa drive engine come standard then with a turbo and finally with a turbo and super charger will then come with hybrid turbo and super charger which will have old v8 for breakfast love my S80 but all new S90 and xc90 really are a different league 4cyl patrols and diesels are more ore less the same engine and from now on are the only two engines we make I agree the end of line s80s aren't as nice as older ones but go drive a new xc90 to get some idea what new S90 will be like VOLVOs future is all good and will just keep getting better with all the new models coming I have pictures of new S90 on fb will try and post ones I can hear

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The earlier S80s were generally much better equipped.
Considering MY16 are Classic models, I'd say no. Early S80s were pretty poorly equipped unless you went for a T6 or V8. Base line models such as lots of 2.5Ts and 2.4Ds often had performance stereos, fabric upholstery, manual gearboxes, plastic skirts (not sure what they're called but bottom part of the exterior was plastic), halogen low-beams etc. Volvo's basically throwing in lots of equipment to keep the models selling instead of having everyone hold off for the upcoming one. Dealers are probably more likely to give better prices too, so if you want a factory new, well-equipped Volvo I'd say go for a classic. Especially if you're buying it to keep it for a long time, since it'll probably experience the biggest second hand value drop when the replacement model is released. And above that, the feel of the 2016 cars is way nicer. Someone claimed Volvo stepped up a lot of quality work sometime around 2010-2011-ish but I guess it could as well be the fact that new cars just feel more solid while they're new. But if the claim's correct then I'd even more so go for a new 2016. Insanely sturdy feeling and the new TFT speedo is great (even though I miss dials, it does feel great). I also really miss the sensus system on my 2007.

Though I agree with the rest, it's not exactly economically rational. Factory new cars never really are but should he be sure a 2016 S80 is something for him I'd say go for broke (badumtish). I don't think it sounds like it is the exact right car and I even less so think the price tag for an updated version of the car he has is particularly worth to pay.

OP: Wait for the second model year of what ever comes to replace the S80, I guess that'd be the MY18 S90? First model years can be a bit of a gamble as with the new XC90, even though Volvo would fix it it might be costly after you're out of warranty or just enough of a bother to have to visit the dealership to have small stuff fixed every now and then.

·
3,391 Posts
I meant in the U.S. Market. The things you listed weren't even available here. It wasn't possible to get a p3 s80 with cloth interior. In fact any Volvo with cloth interior is similar in rarity to a unicorn over here. The smallest engine we could get was 3.2, and the high performance sound system has always been the lowest end available in the U.S. That said, I was actually talking about the V8s compared to the current DrivE models. My S80 with options had an msrp of $62,000. You can't equip an S80 with options that get it anywhere near that price anymore. You can no longer get the executive package, all wheel drive, four-c or any engine but the DrivE T5. That's what I meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
While I do like our /13 S80T6 w/dynamic suspension, xenon ABLs, cold weather and a few other toys, if it were me I would hold off for moment. I think with the new S90 there will be deals to be had on the old S80. However, you might want to consider whether you should drive the S90 or not. I suspect that once you drive the S90 the old S80 will feel a bit agricultural (sorry). I finally gave up my beloved /06 Acura TL for a /15 Audi A6 3.0T and difference between the S80 and the A6 is night and day. Just no comparison -- the Audi is worlds better in nearly all respects (OK, electric power steering sucks -- Volvo old hydraulic system way better). Again, don't get me wrong -- have had numerous S80s and other Volvos -- they have all been extremely trouble free and solid cars but time marches on. S80 very long in the tooth by now. Personally I could not live with a 4 cylinder in a car of this size/weight but that's just me. Best of luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
New 4cyl is all new engine built by volvo not the old psa drive engine come standard then with a turbo and finally with a turbo and super charger will then come with hybrid turbo and super charger which will have old v8 for breakfast love my S80 but all new S90 and xc90 really are a different league 4cyl patrols and diesels are more ore less the same engine and from now on are the only two engines we make I agree the end of line s80s aren't as nice as older ones but go drive a new xc90 to get some idea what new S90 will be like VOLVOs future is all good and will just keep getting better with all the new models coming I have pictures of new S90 on fb will try and post ones I can hear
Tough read. Looks like your punctuation buttons are missing on your keyboard. ; D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Technology wise, I really like what the new S90 will offer. BUT, buying the first model year of any new redesign can be risky but not unmanageable. Just go into it (if it makes sense for you) with eyes open to what that might mean.

Personally, I'd see how the MY17 S90 shapes up in 2018 and buy a good CPO used one then. By then, many early model bugs of the MY17 have been worked out and someone else eats all that nasty depreciation. Just make sure you get a good warranty.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you can afford a new Volvo then wait to see what the S90 will offer.
I can't afford a new one so I bought a used low mileage Volvo. Like I did with my XC70 T6.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Volvo has $5000 on the hood of 2016 S80s.
That's an attractive offer, but just for perspective in 2014 my 2012 Volvo S80 came with $30,000 on the hood.

These are great cars but they are depreciation monsters. Consider a 1- or 2-year old Volvo CPO unit for around half the price of new. It will be nearly identical to a brand-new car in every way, except for the trunk full of money.

Edit: In my haste to comment I neglected that you already own an S80 which is not yet paid off. Why the rush to replace it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First let me say that I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you! This thread is very helpful in thinking through things!

That's an attractive offer, but just for perspective in 2014 my 2012 Volvo S80 came with $30,000 on the hood.

These are great cars but they are depreciation monsters.
That's an amazing deal. Was it high mileage? Deals of that magnitude seem to be are tough to find around Northeast Ohio.

Edit: In my haste to comment I neglected that you already own an S80 which is not yet paid off. Why the rush to replace it?
I don' t suppose there's a rush. I really like my car. The main argument to get a new 2016 is to get a newer version of the same car with the factory warranty, have a car where I maintain it from the get go, with the benefit of the new powertrain (which means fewer stops at the gas station), before the new model with all it's inevitable bugs and higher price tag comes on. I agree with people here that from an economic standpoint, it doesn't make a ton of sense. Even if you assume that my car will have severe issues in the next five years, it'll take an awful lot of issues to equal the amount of money I'd spend on a new car.

However, there is the matter of convenience. I'm an attorney and my time is fairly valuable at this point. Which is not to say that I don't want to watch my money in a sensible manner. If I didn't I'd probably be on the Audi or BMW boards.

I currently drive less than 9000 miles a year, but when I need my car, I need it to work with no questions asked. My S80 hasn't left me stranded yet, but it's a parade of small things that require attention as I go. And at this point, I don't have the time to be a gearhead (which is why I got rid of the RX-8).

Schmoyoho said:
Early S80s were pretty poorly equipped unless you went for a T6 or V8.
I have a V8 but it isn't top of the line. Things I have - leather, personal car communicator, rain sensing wipers, heated front seats, dynaudio, awd. Things I'm missing - TFT gauges, city safety, technology package, blis, bluetooth integration, satellite radio that gets all the stations, xenons, 4c suspension, executive/inscription package.

I suppose the things that attract me to the new car are the new engine with stop/start, city safety, less maintenance, and the ability to drive further without filling up. At this point I'm willing to trade AWD for fuel economy.

I've also thought about getting a S60 stripper - the discounts aren't as steep, but it gets even better fuel economy, is cheaper than the S80 with most of it's benefits, and city safety and the powertrain I want come standard. And I could get a color that's not white, black, or some variation thereof. But, even my current car feels more luxurious than a new S60, and the S60 is much lighter, so maybe not as safe in an accident. I wonder if I'd really be happy to keep driving that car in 10 years. Maybe I would. I had a relatively low spec Mazda RX-8, and the only reason I got rid of that was my second child. So, IDK yet.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Gearhead, I hear you. I'm a middle-aged professional myself, and as much as I enjoy getting my hands dirty once in awhile I don't live to serve my car.

My 2012 had only 24,000 km when I bought it last year through Volvo Canada's CPO program. Admittedly "half price" might not be realistic in the U.S., where the used-car market is on fire. But it's common in Canada, assuming you can find an S80.

I too considered an S60, Audi A4, BMW 3 series, etc. but couldn't see myself keeping any of them longer than 3 or 4 years due to their cramped dimensions and (in the case of the German cars) their high maintenance needs. The S80 is more of a keeper.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The S80 is more of a keeper.
Agreed. Everything about it exudes quality. The S60 - not so much. Every time I sit in a S60 I keep thinking about how much more complete the S80 is as a car.

Speaking of the S80, the 2016 international documentation lists the newest model as having 245 HP in the T5, which is an increase over last year. All the american documentation lists 240 HP for the 2016. However, the EPA fuel efficiency estimates on the car are a little better for 2016, which jives with Volvo's international materials.

I'm assuming that the american documentation is wrong and simply not updated, but can anyone confirm the power of the T5 we're getting over here for 2016?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Speaking of the S80, the 2016 international documentation lists the newest model as having 245 HP in the T5, which is an increase over last year. All the american documentation lists 240 HP for the 2016. However, the EPA fuel efficiency estimates on the car are a little better for 2016, which jives with Volvo's international materials.
The difference in horsepower ratings may relate to how automotive engineers define horsepower. The Brits, at least on Top Gear, are always quoting Brake Horse Power, which from my understanding is the engine power output of the engine alone versus the American definition which measures the power transmitted to the tires with a dynamometer. So the American horsepower rating should be slightly less than the British or European automotive rated horsepower.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a matter of imperial vs metric measurements but I know the V8 is speced to 315 or 311 hp depending on which kinds of horsepower. BHP are as you said the engine power while the dynamometer power is wheel horsepower WHP.

I think the difference might be whether or not stuff like the water pump, compressors, alternators etc are connected or not. The 4 hp loss translates to about 3 kW used to power the AC and stuff which I guess sounds reasonable. Drivetrain losses are often multiple percent of the total BHP and with AWD something around 10% (I think, depends on the type)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts